Do any fish stores in the Atlanta area guarantee fish survival?

dustin

Market
Reaction score
Greetings,
Just wanted to ask if any fish stores in Atlanta offer some sort of fish guarantee policy for exchange or otherwise? A week is probable too long, but my experience has been that a fish will either die in 48 hours or be totally fine for the long haul. This is from my 25 years experience in keeping saltwater tanks. Now I am stocking and have had a few new addition deaths within that window and just about can’t stomach buying another fish. Not with the prices where they are right now!

I don't know of any that offer any sort of guarantee. The best I've been able to work out is pay for a fish and pick it up a week or so after it's come in just to make sure it's at least stable in the store's system. I also concur on the 48 hour notion. Although I've recently had a new addition expire after 15 days, once they're in a tank for 48 hours and eating, survival is pretty high.

Doesn’t pure reef QT fish or was that the one up in Alpharetta that closed

Cook great point on holding for a week. Thought of something like that but will certainly ask moving forward.

I don’t think anyone offers any guarantee locally.

Just ask them to feed the fish. If the fish goes after it aggressively and no visual signs of any disease of parasites, make the purchase and do the quarantine yourself. I wouldn’t trust anyone’s quarantine anyways.

Let’s say there was a guarantee on the fish, that still doesn’t guarantee what it bring into your established system, putting it all at risk.

I havee not seen any lfs guarantees.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Pure Reef runs copper and hyposalinity in their fish only tanks
Issue with LFS systems that run copper and hypo is that the fish doesn’t stay in that system long enough to be fully treated. Most of the time, the amount that these LFS may run are just therapeutic levels and not enough to actually treat the disease.

So, again, just run your own quarantine. It’s cheap, it’s smart, and it can save you a heart ache and lots of money down the road.

I've had good luck with this Atlanta Aquarium & and Nemo but that was a couple years ago and well before covid.

I'm worried about this as I'm going to be doing a large stocking soon. I will have multiple QT's running but if several bite the bullet 36hrs in it could get quite expensive in this climate.

It doesn't help much now but once I'm done stocking my systems I plan to keep the QT's up to offer a service to supporting members for a modest fee. I'll keep them running as long as there's interest.

I've had good luck with this Atlanta Aquarium & and Nemo but that was a couple years ago and well before covid.

I'm worried about this as I'm going to be doing a large stocking soon. I will have multiple QT's running but if several bite the bullet 36hrs in it could get quite expensive in this climate.

It doesn't help much now but once I'm done stocking my systems I plan to keep the QT's up to offer a service to supporting members for a modest fee. I'll keep them running as long as there's interest.
You know what helps also? If you know the LFS and they know your system. I seen on several occasions where a customer have a bad experience at one of the LFS you mentioned and the owner knew the customer and their system well, which they offered some credit to assist.

I might be calling on you to at least help me or make improvements on my QT then lol

and i believe in that notion as well ive noticed if i buy a fish and put it in QT if it survives the first 2-4 days its fine for the long haul usually by day 2-3 if its gonna start struggling this is when it will happen

yes i learned my lesson last november lost all my fish to velvet now i QT everything
Yup. Happened to me. Lost several hundred dollars wiping out my livestock. After that, QT everything.

And if you see a fish you absolutely want but don't have a QT set up, just ask them to hold it for you if you know them well enough or prepay while you set one up. I never had Nemo's or Atlanta Aquarium say no to me.

I think is by large falls on the customer. Like plenty of others have said a few good shops will hold fish for you with a prepay.

But you can't blame a store for not issuing a live guarantee on livestock due to the sensitive nature of marine critters. Having worked in both the retail and wholesale side of things plus being a customer. I've seen all sides

Back