Do Cynarina multiply

lorenk

Market
Reaction score
I have a pink cynarina and I was curious if anyone has one and if their's has ever split?

Well Original Loren here it is:

The answer is no to multiply....yes to long division and fractions.

Hah!

Anyways, if what you mean is do they split like a mushroom would, or multiply like zoas, I'm pretty sure the answer is no. I believe they are more like open brains and plate corals in that you can frag them by cutting right through them with a wet saw (tile saw) or something similar--you can probably get away with a dremel and a spray bottle (with salt water--just make sure to rinse the dremel well afterwards). Afterwards, just let the pieces heal--you can slice it up like a pizza, and each "slice" will become a single clone if you do it right (best to include a piece of the mouth in each frag). I believe the other way they may propogate asexually (without spawning and all the zygotes and gametes involved with that mess...) is if for some reason there is some tissue recession, and a piece of tissue regenerates, it may form "baby" clones that will pop off the skeleton and become separate corals as well.

Just to make clear, this is total and complete inference, based on what i've read about other LPS corals with similar structure, so please, someone who has actually owned one of these chime in any time and correct me if I'm wrong!

Back