do you cover your tank?

kevinbeth

Market
Reaction score
The glass cover for my tank is always encrusted so i took it off for a while and it seems to be doing fine. I think my evap rate may have gone up but the light seems to be brighter at the bottom. I was curious if most people had covers and if it was ok to leave them off

Personally, I think its better because your not trapping in heat. It does raise the evaporation rate but thats less costly to replace then cooling a tank. The only reason I see to cover it is if you have inhabitants that are notorious carpet surfing.

Open and breezy here and love it, unfortunately the wrasse went carpet surfing. I'm trying to think of a material that is;

1) Open, like egg crate to keep flying fish in without trapping heat

2) Heat resistant, (wont melt) so it can be used with metal halides

I've even thought about plastic egg crate, just cutting it out directly under the MH bulbs, but not certain that would work. How far away from the bulb would need to be cut out, and would that be enough coverage over the tank to make it visable?

I built my own canopy that covers the top of the tank and holds the lights uncovered above the water. I have computer fans in it that comes on with the MH. If I would have kept the door close or watched more closely when I was doing a water change, I would have noticed my 6 line jumping out a couple weeks ago.

I think screening material would block too much light, but as of yet, I have not come up with a better idea.

......give me time to think as the gears are turning!

I have glass tops on tank on some tanks with LPS where lights are close to the water. My thinking is protect the flo lights & reflectors from corrosion.

Has anyone tested Par with and without? Then maybe test solar glass?

thomascarter30528;78965 wrote: Does anyone have problems with bugs. Soometimes moths get in my tank. There any problems with fish eating them (my Niger Trigger eats them fast)

Uhmm... try moving your tank inside:yuk:

Technically, I don't cover my tank either. I did erect a wall around the tank using coregated plastic (like they use for those annoying signs they put on the side of the road). You can see the white plastic "wall" around my display tank on the right of this picture. Since erecting the wall, I haven't lost a single fish to the carpet.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
79011=4947-IMG_1336_1_1.jpg
>
79011=4947-IMG_1336_1_1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_1336_1_1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Hm, actually Blind has hit on an interesting theory....

What if you strung a a fine netting across the waters surface? It would still get O2 exchange, the water would keep the net cool to keep it from melting. The only problems I'd foresee is feeding the fish, and algae growing on the net in quick order, blocking out the light.

I think my 250watt bulb would melt egg crate in no time, and I just tried a piece of egg crate over the tank with the 150watt bulb. The glare coming off the egg crate has blinded me somewhat, its hard to type. From about 6 inches away, the bulb does not seem to be producing excessive heat on the egg crate, but again, thats just for the last 5 minutes.... will keep you guys posted.

It shouldn't get hot enough to melt the egg crate.

Having a netting in the water will provide a very nice place for algae to attach to. Now, not only do you have less light coming through, you have a huge mess to clean up :)

I would think that you could make a "net" of sorts with fishing line. If you build a frame and string it like a tennis racket, then set that on top of the tank so that it does not touch the water. I would assume that this would allow maximum light penetration and prevent fish from carpet surfing. what do you think?

Back