Do you think uv sterilizers are a most have?

gacolt

Market
Reaction score
Do you think that uv sterilizers are a most?what do you think are the biggest benifits of using them?Do they help with keeping corals or is just for fish?Will they help keep nuisance algae out of the aquarium?I myself have never used one and wanted to hear what everyones thoughts about them.

gacolt;986424 wrote: Do you think that uv sterilizers are a most?what do you think are the biggest benifits of using them?Do they help with keeping corals or is just for fish?Will they help keep nuisance algae out of the aquarium?I myself have never used one and wanted to hear what everyones thoughts about them.

Tagging, as I just installed my most desired fist biggie!

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36805">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36805</a>

More to read about it. Properly sized and the right gph could do more than any other piece of equipment won't do in your tank. I have always use them for water clarity and prevent ick outbreaks. Image you purchased expensive tang, it has better chances to survive with a tank with uv sterilizer than in another tank with out it. Someone will come and mention now that has 5 tangs in a 5+ year old tank without UV, not all the environment are the same nor the fish can resist or carry with a great immune system to handle illnesses.

thank you for the link,but i did not start this thread to read another thread.

Its a 50-50 question. Its not a need but they will help. A uv dosent kill anything it just make it so cells can reproduce and spread...

If you don't know what it does or want to learn what it does, you prolly don't need it.

So something can spread? Yeah I'd like to hear more about that, sounds fishy to me (Pardon the pun...)

A UV can be a beneficial part of an overall life support system. It is NOT necessarily a must-have, but if you keep fish prone to ectoparasites, it can help mitigate risk.

What it isn't, is magic.

Sometimes people battle infestations and buy a UV thinking it's the magic smoke to make everything, all better. It isn't.

It will kill nuisance algae suspended in the water, if they pass through the UV (and the UV is properly sized, with the right amount of flow through it.) It won't kill the hair algae growing on your rocks.

It will kill free-swimming parasites IF they pass through the UV and it's properly sized with the right flow. It will not kill what is on the fish, what is in the substrate, and what doesn't get drawn through the UV.

It will not prevent either type of pest from happening in the first place. It will not make either type of pest completely go away. It will help control both types of pest, and will work BEST if used as part of a holistic approach.

Got algae? Solve the excess nutrient problem.

Got parasites? Solve the source of the problem with proper quarantine and treatment if indicated, low stress, good food and water quality.

UV will enhance the cure to those issues once the root causes are addressed.

Jenn

JennM;986465 wrote: So something can spread? Yeah I'd like to hear more about that, sounds fishy to me (Pardon the pun...)

A UV can be a beneficial part of an overall life support system. It is NOT necessarily a must-have, but if you keep fish prone to ectoparasites, it can help mitigate risk.

What it isn't, is magic.

Sometimes people battle infestations and buy a UV thinking it's the magic smoke to make everything, all better. It isn't.

It will kill nuisance algae suspended in the water, if they pass through the UV (and the UV is properly sized, with the right amount of flow through it.) It won't kill the hair algae growing on your rocks.

It will kill free-swimming parasites IF they pass through the UV and it's properly sized with the right flow. It will not kill what is on the fish, what is in the substrate, and what doesn't get drawn through the UV.

It will not prevent either type of pest from happening in the first place. It will not make either type of pest completely go away. It will help control both types of pest, and will work BEST if used as part of a holistic approach.

Got algae? Solve the excess nutrient problem.

Got parasites? Solve the source of the problem with proper quarantine and treatment if indicated, low stress, good food and water quality.

UV will enhance the cure to those issues once the root causes are addressed.

Jenn
thank you jenn.i dont have any of those problems so it sounds like i dont need it and im not looking to add another thing to my tank or waste money.:up:

HiImSean;986467 wrote: Yet you didn't want to read a link posted.
no thats why i started my own thread.if i wanted to read a old thread i could have used googlefu.im sure there are a millions of them.but i wanted other members to anwser the questions that i asked and i dont see a problem with that©&#8482;

gacolt;986444 wrote: thank you for the link,but i did not start this thread to read another thread.

Hahahahaha that might be the most honest response I've ever seen on this site

i would still like to hear from others about uv sterilizers so please dont be afraid to post or if you have a question yourself post it©&#8482;

I believe the linked thread was about how to properly size a UV for your particular system.

So if you don't plan to get one, I guess there's no point in reading it.

I didn't see anyone being rude, rather they were trying to help you learn more about UVs.

A UV not sized or run properly is definitely a waste of money because it won't be effective for its intended purpose.

Jenn

Back