Does Anyone Know Anything About This Light?

billbrown;40891 wrote: Have you checked out the halide system on Aquatraders?

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=334">http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=334</a>

442 watts for $ 249.00 including shipping!

Yeah, it's not as powerful, but you can't beat the price. I ordered the 48" unit in January and it works great. I have had no trouble with the unit. I researched these guys and some people had issues with the old ballasts but they upgraded to electronic ballasts last year.[/QUOTE]

I bought this fixture also a couple months ago also, under the name HOMBBY. I got the 24" 380 watt fixture one 250 and 2x65 it's been working really nice for me since I switched out the stock bulb for that Phoenix 14k. I did install the 110 Current USA chiller but I think I could have kept the temp down with a good set of fans.

Ok this is what i would tell you about aquatraders. I use to own the 48'' MHI before i got rid of it. It works FINE. No problems, but the ballast do fliker and not as efficient as the expensive icecaps, and is not electronic. The bulbs will last you at most 6 months (I change mine in 4). Besides that your all good.

Maroons16;40918 wrote: I think I am going to go with the Aqua Traders. That is an amazing price!
Make sure you take the fixture apart and check ALL the connections. These things have a really bad history of being poorly assembled. Ballasts also seem to prematurely die on these.

Oh and in some cases they have caught fire due to these poor connections. ReefCentral is riddled with pictures of the aftermath. They are supposed to work well if everything is secured save the ballasts not lasting problem.

<span style="color: black;">The newer models are supposed to be much better and safer. The only problem I've heard the new models have is with the fan(s) not working sometimes. I would do as Cameron suggested. It doesn't hurt to double check.</span>

Back