Don't know about T5 yet...what's the catch here?

gordob

Market
Reaction score
I have a halide fixture and a power compact fixture at this point, and have never experimented with T5s. Forgive my ignorance on them, but what is the catch here? Are reflectors the only things you would need to add to these setups?
http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-retrofit-kits/504823/current-usa-nova-t5-retrofit-10k.html">http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-retrofit-kits/504823/current-usa-nova-t5-retrofit-10k.html</a>

I've heard that T5 was a cheaper route, but this has got to be too good to be true!

Thanks,
Brad

Robb is correct, there are differences in t5s, just like MH. For example, you wouldnt go to Lowes and buy a 400 W warehouse metal halide and raw ballast expect it to perform like your 400W radium on a PFO ballast. Those are teh same lights wal mart sells for under-cabinet lighting and etc...

The watts are too low, so those are NO t5s. For reef tanks, a minimum is HO T5s, and many people even push them beyond the HO realm by overdriving them.

If you look at that link, you can see the 48" lamp is rated at 24 Watts. A HO T5 is 54W at 48", and can be overdriven to 80-85W.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/IceCap/SLR_Pre-Wired_Retrofit_Kits/48_inch__4x54W_SLR_T5_Pre-Wired_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Ballast_(No_Bulbs)_by_IceCap">Here</a> is a link to a 48" overdrive kit that includes all but the lamps.

You can see the difference in wattage, as well as price.

Are you unhappy with your MH? You might could replace the PCs in your fixture wth t5s if you are handy with tools. That would add a little supplementation and a punch to your fixture. You of course would have to change out the reflectors, endcaps, and ballasts

GordoB;309065 wrote: I have a halide fixture and a power compact fixture at this point, and have never experimented with T5s.

I don't like tanks lit with T5s because they lack the "shimmer effect" of metal halides.

Halides produce glimmer lines over the reef because they are a point-source light, the sun has the same effect on natural reefs.

I need it.

RedEDGE2k1;309097 wrote: I don't like tanks lit with T5s because they lack the "shimmer effect" of metal halides.

Halides produce glimmer lines over the reef because they are a point-source light, the sun has the same effect on natural reefs.

I need it.

Ooooohhh...it's ON now!!:D Sic 'em boys!!

Haha, this again. Its just a preference. Do I like the shimmer? Yes. Do I need it? I'm ok. Still get the shakes from time to time, but 936 meetings later, I have control over it.

Excellent information! Thanks! I only started thinking about changing over to T5 because of Jin's tank, honestly. His tank is amazing, and I thought about trying to follow his lead. I'm pretty happy with my halide, other than the cost of running it. The wattage is so high, and then the bulbs are so expensive to replace, I was just looking at other options. I might look into replacing the PCs with T5. That would look pretty cool, and possibly cost a bit less than the PCs.

Thanks again for the info.,
Brad

Derek, weren't you experimenting with way to produce shimmer in a T5 lit tank? Or was that someone over on RC? Something with LEDs maybe?

The t5s would be cheaper to replacet than PCs. PCs are really expensive for some reason.

What wattage MH do you have? Tank size and dimensions?

T5s are deceptively expensive to replace. They are only about 15-30 a lamp (for the good ones), but many tanks run 6+ lamps.

For example, I run 8 T5s, all cost about 20 each plus shipping (shipping on t5s is higher too because of their length). THat is 160-190 dollars. If I was running 2 SE metal halides, which maybe cost 60-80 each, I am at the same price point. Both lamps probably last about the same amount of time too, unless you are overdriving them, which decreases life.

Jins tank is awesome, but keep in mind it is a very shallow tank. He is getting great light penetration because of that. Most tanks are deeper, and there are only so many t5s you can put on top of a tank, as where MHs take up about the same amount of space regardless of wattage (reflectors are the key space determinants)

So the key thing is to use a lighting system that works best with your needs and tank dimensions. In some cases T5s are best, in others MHs may be.

texhorns98;309124 wrote: Derek, weren't you experimenting with way to produce shimmer in a T5 lit tank? Or was that someone over on RC? Something with LEDs maybe?

Yeah, i tested 6 3W Luxeons in my tank, and I did get shimmer, but it was pretty much nothing compared to MH, obviously. It worked, but wasnt substantial enough for my taste.

BUT, my canopy is so short, it did not allow me to try different orientations. I think in a taller canopy you might have made them more effective by pointing them in a different way. And on a shallower tank they would work even better.

I have a 75 gallon Oceanic tank...regular 4' model. (I'm not sure of the depth and other dimensions...I'm not at home now.) I currently have a 250 watt hqi DE halide in a 442 watt fixture with PCs. I'm looking to build a canopy that will house all of that plus some more either PCs or T5s in it....just haven't had time to build one.

This is all excellent information. I really appreciate it.

- Brad

I wonder if you could add one of those clip on halide fixtures to the side of your tank? Just one lamp pointing in the middle might give it some shimmer. Hmmmm...

I'm sure it would. But that is 70W of power you are burning just for some shimmer and maybe a little extra light in that general area.

But it just depends on your wants. A combo approach might be good. Like Barbara's tank has 2 250s and I think 2-4 T5s. I could duplicate her setup, doing 2 150s or 250s with very small or custom reflectors (narrow, like in the 12" range), and 4 overdriven t5s for a total of 670 - 870 W of power.

Compare that to my current 8 x 80 setup that burns 640W, or a 2 x 400W halide system that burns 800W.

That is a lot of juice, and maybe not the most efficient use of either system, but I'm not sure.

I would probably try this if it werent for the fact that in my canopy the MHs would be very close to the water, and heat might be a big issue. MHs generally need to be further off the water than t5s, so the placement of the 2 systems might be an issue to prevent overlap. My t5s are only 3-4 inches off the water, and T5s need to be close to get the most out of them.

Derek_S;309130 wrote: Yeah, i tested 6 3W Luxeons in my tank, and I did get shimmer, but it was pretty much nothing compared to MH, obviously. It worked, but wasnt substantial enough for my taste.

BUT, my canopy is so short, it did not allow me to try different orientations. I think in a taller canopy you might have made them more effective by pointing them in a different way. And on a shallower tank they would work even better.

I'd take those off your hands if your not using them. I have a taller canopy, and would love to try them out...

Since rostato beat me to the punch, where did you get them Derek? I might want to try something similar since I have no canopy. I just rest my fixture right on the tank and it seems to be just fine even with the bird netting underneath.

Well, there are not really for sale or anything, as I have other plans for them, but I got them from led depot, or led supply or something like that.

THey werent cheap though. They were like 70 total for 6 LEDs and the powerpuck to drive them.

I will post pics tonight if i remember.

If I had a fixture, I would just mount them directly in it if there was room. Like they do moon lights.

Derek, can I maybe borrow then for a weekend and see if I can make them work? I have a lip in the edge of my fixture that I'm betting these would fit on. If you aren't comfortable with that, no biggie...I don't mind taking the risk myself, and I'm sure I could find a use for them somewhere if they didn't work on my big tank.

Back