Dream Tank Exploration

outdrsyguy1

Market
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm considering finishing out the basement in the next year and being that my wife is a beautiful, wonderful, caring, and completely unreasonable person at times.... i'm giving up my dream to put a huge tank in the living room and relocating said dream to the basement on slab.

I just wanted to try to get feedback from the peanut gallery on some things I'm tossing around.

First, size... I'm thinking in the 500 - 800 gallon range display tank. Can't quite figure out the dimensions I want though. The current leaders are:
130 x 37.5 x 30.5 (~610 Gallon)
130 x 37.5 x 36.5 (~730 Gallon)

I did look into a sweet 12' long option but the cost for the extra 2' is 2k+ which I'd rather spend elsewhere.

My doorway is 34" clear so the 36"+ on both dimensions means removing windows (4 sashes total) and the vertical frame between them (it's 2 windows side by side).

I like the increased volume and height, but i'm concerned about the depth ending up a pita. Current tank is 29" tall and i can reach the bottom with my fingertips and 1" of sand so 36" would definitely require tools or a face dunk if I had to get to the bottom. It would be sps dominant but mixed reef so I'm okay dropping some LPS the last 6" from time to time hehe.

There's a metric ton of stuff to consider but I've started building a budget cost to make sure things are doable without getting out of hand. Not going absolute top of the line equipment here, i'm okay with nice used stuff and a fair amount of DIY for things like the sump, stand, canopy, etc. I'd be doing all the plumbing and 90% of the electrical/build out myself.

I would do the 30.5" high just because of the hassle of getting to the bottom of the tank. Why not go a bit wider instead of taller?

With the way my schedule has been and will be for the foreseeable future, my dream tank would be..........the drunk tank!!!!!

HiImSean;1036286 wrote: I would do the 30.5" high just because of the hassle of getting to the bottom of the tank. Why not go a bit wider instead of taller?

+1 on the 30.5 inch height

HiImSean;1036286 wrote: I would do the 30.5" high just because of the hassle of getting to the bottom of the tank. Why not go a bit wider instead of taller?
I could do wider, I just wasn't sure you'd really be able to see much on a 4' deep tank. I like being able to see the corals. Plus i was budgeting off the glass cages website which has ballpark pricing.
I guess I could see the backside from the fishroom behind it possibly.
Ringo®;1036285 wrote: Air conditioned basement?
Basement's not AC'd yet. It stay really cool down there and I'm pretty sure I could pull a tap off the basement unit to cool the area. My unit for the 1st floor doesn't run all the time in the summer so i'm sure i've got enough spare capacity for now as long as I don't go halides :p (plan is led w/ t5 supp)

Anyone got suggestions on companies I can call for aquarium pricing?

I had a tall before I put in my newest DT. It was a pita and required the longer tools. Putting in a tank that big you might want to get a wet suit and take a dive. Lol. That is going to be one spectacular tank!

outdrsyguy1;1036289 wrote:
Basement's not AC'd yet. It stay really cool down there and I'm pretty sure I could pull a tap off the basement unit to cool the area. My unit for the 1st floor doesn't run all the time in the summer so i'm sure i've got enough spare capacity for now as long as I don't go halides :p (plan is led w/ t5 supp)

Anyone got suggestions on companies I can call for aquarium pricing?

Just wondering the about the ventilation. All my tanks are in the basement and the dehumidifier works overtime. With that much water I would look into some serious ventilation. Especially if there are hardwoods on the floor above.

I wouldn't worry about a 4 foot depth. The oregon reef was 90 inches (7.5 feet) front to back and looked amazing. Plus, gives you a neat perspective on looking in from the fish room.

My vote on height is 30.5"

Ringo®;1036292 wrote: Just wondering the about the ventilation. All my tanks are in the basement and the dehumidifier works overtime. With that much water I would look into some serious ventilation. Especially if there are hardwoods on the floor above.

That's a great point! Rusty, you may also want to consider adding a soda lime chamber to combat the depressed PH levels that you experience in a basement. It does way more than just up your ph level.

My idea was to put a vapor barrier around the walls/ceiling of the fish room behind the tank and have the canopy open on the backside. Then I wasn't sure whether I wanted to punch a hole in the brick back wall to the patio underneath the porch for ventilation, or possibly put an AC system. The AC system (minisplit) might blow the budget for now since my wife would never let me put a window unit there (even though it'd work somewhat decent.
Gonna post some pics of where i'd put the tank.

Interesting idea on the soda lime thing, i'll add it to the list of research/ideas I have going for the build.

So here's the wall I would put the tank up against or possibly through. I definitely think cutting out some of the vertical supports would be in order and maybe putting a beam across the top. I think a wood beam would suffice though as there's very little load on top of this wall. There are columns on the floor above that land on either end of the wall but above the fish tank is actually an arch. I'll post a pic of exactly above.
1036308=62063-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433360195.965956.jpg
>
1036308=62063-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433360195.965956.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433360195.965956.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>
1036308=62064-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433360209.865778.jpg
>
1036308=62064-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433360209.865778.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433360209.865778.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Here's a picture from the backside where I would build the fish room. The plan is to have a bedroom after the fish room at the end of the basement. The front side of the tank is planned to be a media room/gaming room etc. with couches and such
1036308=62065-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433360276.468700.jpg
>
1036308=62065-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433360276.468700.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433360276.468700.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Crew;1036295 wrote: I wouldn't worry about a 4 foot depth. The oregon reef was 90 inches (7.5 feet) front to back and looked amazing. Plus, gives you a neat perspective on looking in from the fish room.

My vote on height is 30.5"

+1

Wider gives you the ability to make the rocks/scapes look endless, more realistic by far. I'd love a wider tank, you can do so much more with it!

Here's my first pass at a budget. I'm sure a few items are a little light. I'm okay getting basics and adding over the next few years.

If you see anything glaringly missing or wrong let me know. I know i'll need some other stuff for the fish room like desks/sink/faucet/drain/ ect. Drain's my biggest concern right now, can't just dump it on the other side of the wall and plummed drain is on other side of basement.

6,000 Tank, glass, starphire front and sides
600 skimmer (new/used reef octopus for 500g, 45 w)
500 hammerhead 5000 gpm @7' head, 322 watts
400 Sump (DIY 90G+)used, re-sealed/baffled by me
600 wood stand built in place DIY
400 wood to build stand enclosure and canopy
500 PVC fittings and electrical DIY circuits
250 Salt (1000G 50/200 *5)
600 Lights (LED for 10' tank = 4*150)
210 sand approx 1", 250# @ 130 x 36, $35/40# bags
900 marco rock ~450 pounds
300 moving tank into place help
200 brute mixing station 2 - 55 gallon brutes
11,460 total

outdrsyguy1;1036284 wrote: Okay, so I'm considering finishing out the basement in the next year and being that my wife is a beautiful, wonderful, caring, and completely unreasonable person at times.... i'm giving up my dream to put a huge tank in the living room and relocating said dream to the basement on slab.

I just wanted to try to get feedback from the peanut gallery on some things I'm tossing around.

First, size... I'm thinking in the 500 - 800 gallon range display tank. Can't quite figure out the dimensions I want though. The current leaders are:
130 x 37.5 x 30.5 (~610 Gallon)
130 x 37.5 x 36.5 (~730 Gallon)

I did look into a sweet 12' long option but the cost for the extra 2' is 2k+ which I'd rather spend elsewhere.

My doorway is 34" clear so the 36"+ on both dimensions means removing windows (4 sashes total) and the vertical frame between them (it's 2 windows side by side).

I like the increased volume and height, but i'm concerned about the depth ending up a pita. Current tank is 29" tall and i can reach the bottom with my fingertips and 1" of sand so 36" would definitely require tools or a face dunk if I had to get to the bottom. It would be sps dominant but mixed reef so I'm okay dropping some LPS the last 6" from time to time hehe.

There's a metric ton of stuff to consider but I've started building a budget cost to make sure things are doable without getting out of hand. Not going absolute top of the line equipment here, i'm okay with nice used stuff and a fair amount of DIY for things like the sump, stand, canopy, etc. I'd be doing all the plumbing and 90% of the electrical/build out myself.

This statement has me all sorts of worried. Quickly I think you'll come to realize that at this level there really is no budget that's not out of hand... and differing levels of equipment quality are few and far between due to the niche arena that 400-700+ gallon systems are placed within.

With that I know all of what I said is perception based upon my own reality. So take it as just a comment of concern to help influence your over all direction.

Last and for reference purposes my 450 gallon was a used where could be and new only when forced, left unskinned meaning tank and stand with out cabinet and DYI sumps amounted to a generally conservative estimate of $25,000 without livestock of any kind. Additionally the monthly electrical cost soared upwards of $300. Which could have been better utilized if I would have optimized the equipment purchases. However, that would have took a much greater up front start up cost.

outdrsyguy1;1036315 wrote: Here's my first pass at a budget. I'm sure a few items are a little light. I'm okay getting basics and adding over the next few years.

If you see anything glaringly missing or wrong let me know. I know i'll need some other stuff for the fish room like desks/sink/faucet/drain/ ect. Drain's my biggest concern right now, can't just dump it on the other side of the wall and plummed drain is on other side of basement.

6,000 Tank, glass, starphire front and sides
600 skimmer (new/used reef octopus for 500g, 45 w)
500 hammerhead 5000 gpm @7' head, 322 watts
400 Sump (DIY 90G+)used, re-sealed/baffled by me
600 wood stand built in place DIY
400 wood to build stand enclosure and canopy
500 PVC fittings and electrical DIY circuits
250 Salt (1000G 50/200 *5)
600 Lights (LED for 10' tank = 4*150)
210 sand approx 1", 250# @ 130 x 36, $35/40# bags
900 marco rock ~450 pounds
300 moving tank into place help
200 brute mixing station 2 - 55 gallon brutes
11,460 total

For an SPS tank, vaguely your looking at a fairly bare bones estimate lacking of a couple ingredients and in all openness a little to hopeful in others.

Starters a skimmer is likely going to be hard to find in that price range for that system if you plan on it doing any of the intended work load. Since water changes will continue to add up significantly I strongly recommend the purchase to be a wise one predicated on performance rather than cost.

Lights, are again much to conservative unless you already have them planned and seen in observation in a reef tank with certain dimension parallels.

One pump will be hard no matter how many and how well you build manifolds. I ran 3 Reeflo pumps with a number of smaller feed pumps for more dedicated items like UV, Skimmer which was external and needed one, cal reactor and ato...... Hammerhead was used for return and chiller and then snappers for the use of my reactors. With the return it's always smart to have a back up spare, especially when talking an sps tank and even more when talking a 700 gallon monster SPS tank worth a small to midsize fortune.

Missing in your list is flow. Cheaply you could buy used if available but will take some time. I had lucked out on a sale of (4) MP60's at once I purchased for $2,200 which was a steal at the time. Additionally I was forced to add 3 more Mp40's to compensate for the sps need with in the tank.

Additionally and while not nearing the full extent here I'd round it out with a possible chiller as even without halides some tanks will find heat to become an issue depending on pump options and count. Reactors for GFO, Carbon and what have you. Increase your sumps minimal size at atleast 125 and go from their based on need. Last, calcium reactor will be a must if intelligently planning SPS for this sized system.

Last, realistically look at operational costs in addition and relation to start up. Start up is not going to fall below 15k, no way without miracles. Operation will push the boundaries around $500 when accounting for water change, salt, equipment changes, malfunction, problems... Planning and counting on less is subject to unrealistic optimism that is sure to disappoint.

..... Hello, I'm Negative Nancy, whats your name....

Sorry, don't mean to be. Just is what it is unfortunately.

-Jesse

DawgFace;1036350 wrote: For an SPS tank, vaguely your looking at a fairly bare bones estimate lacking of a couple ingredients and in all openness a little to hopeful in others.

Starters a skimmer is likely going to be hard to find in that price range for that system if you plan on it doing any of the intended work load. Since water changes will continue to add up significantly I strongly recommend the purchase to be a wise one predicated on performance rather than cost.

Lights, are again much to conservative unless you already have them planned and seen in observation in a reef tank with certain dimension parallels.

One pump will be hard no matter how many and how well you build manifolds. I ran 3 Reeflo pumps with a number of smaller feed pumps for more dedicated items like UV, Skimmer which was external and needed one, cal reactor and ato...... Hammerhead was used for return and chiller and then snappers for the use of my reactors. With the return it's always smart to have a back up spare, especially when talking an sps tank and even more when talking a 700 gallon monster SPS tank worth a small to midsize fortune.

Missing in your list is flow. Cheaply you could buy used if available but will take some time. I had lucked out on a sale of (4) MP60's at once I purchased for $2,200 which was a steal at the time. Additionally I was forced to add 3 more Mp40's to compensate for the sps need with in the tank.

Additionally and while not nearing the full extent here I'd round it out with a possible chiller as even without halides some tanks will find heat to become an issue depending on pump options and count. Reactors for GFO, Carbon and what have you. Increase your sumps minimal size at atleast 125 and go from their based on need. Last, calcium reactor will be a must if intelligently planning SPS for this sized system.

Last, realistically look at operational costs in addition and relation to start up. Start up is not going to fall below 15k, no way without miracles. Operation will push the boundaries around $500 when accounting for water change, salt, equipment changes, malfunction, problems... Planning and counting on less is subject to unrealistic optimism that is sure to disappoint.

..... Hello, I'm Negative Nancy, whats your name....

Sorry, don't mean to be. Just is what it is unfortunately.

-Jesse

+1

Not to rain on any parades, but I don't see how this system could be done for under $20,000. Most of your estimates seem pretty low to me and like Jesse said, lots of things are missing from the list. I definitely wouldn't skimp on a skimmer, lighting, heaters or flow. Anything that can nuke the tank needs to be top notch, because even if you fill this tank with Chromis and xenia, it's going to be several thousand dollars worth of livestock.

Back