Dream Tank Exploration

Crew;1036651 wrote: I've heard bad things, but it's always related to customer service and not build quality. As far as I know, their tanks are top notch, but it might be a hassle getting it.

I've read quite a few where holes are drilled the wrong size, wrong placement of holes, wrong dimensions, all of which end up having to deal with their poor customer service. Again, if I'm spending a couple grand on a custom tank, I don't want to have to worry about any of that.

To get a price on an MRC tank or skimmer do I have to go through a local sponsor?

probably a better option anyway to be honest. MRC does incredible work

Okay. So I put up some tape for approximate size. I think I'm going to push it back about 18 inches so it sticks through the back of the wall by about a foot into the fish room. Here's my current dilemma:
Should I make the small sides clear or give up on trying to view from the side?
As you can see, Half of the right side will be against a small structural wall and most of the left side could be cleared to view however I worry about being able to clean it where it sticks to the wall. it's a ton of surface area to clean and since it's going to be acrylic I want to stay on top of it so and making all modifications I can to keep things off the sides of the tank so it's easy to just swipe back and forth across the length without having to worry about powerheads and rock.
Since acrylic views so much better at an angle than glass maybe it's not a big deal to cover up the sides but deep down I still think it would be nice to view from the side.
1036943=62125-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433694995.404351.jpg
>
1036943=62125-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433694995.404351.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433694995.404351.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>
1036943=62126-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433695011.888226.jpg
>
1036943=62126-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433695011.888226.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433695011.888226.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Your papers are going to get soggy with half the file cabinet in the tank. :)

rdnelson99;1036951 wrote: Your papers are going to get soggy with half the file cabinet in the tank. :)

These jokes never get old haha

No way. This bad boys custom! I'm gonna have it wrap around the file cabinet. Now if I can just figure out how to make it so the drawers can open!

careful with glass cages. some vendor had a custom 500g explode at the seams in 3 months.

silicone and alignment will also be a little of an eye sore. their customer service is better when the woman (i forgot her name) is on.

ditch the hammerhead and go with a diamond dolphin amp master series. my 6250 is 56 decibels and those hammers are i know a ton louder.

im running a chiller, 7 ft head height, and manifold off mine and i still have it dialed back with a ballvalve. it is also around the same price point.

if you go with another manufacturer that is credible, you will see that costs get crazy high. just a 300 gallon custom glass one i wanted was quoted at 5-7k depending on who i went.

acrylic might be ideal for your size though.

consider a dehumidifier

Russ-IV;1037218 wrote: careful with glass cages. some vendor had a custom 500g explode at the seams in 3 months.

silicone and alignment will also be a little of an eye sore. their customer service is better when the woman (i forgot her name) is on.

ditch the hammerhead and go with a diamond dolphin amp master series. my 6250 is 56 decibels and those hammers are i know a ton louder.

im running a chiller, 7 ft head height, and manifold off mine and i still have it dialed back with a ballvalve. it is also around the same price point.

if you go with another manufacturer that is credible, you will see that costs get crazy high. just a 300 gallon custom glass one i wanted was quoted at 5-7k depending on who i went.

acrylic might be ideal for your size though.

consider a dehumidifier

I absolutely love my Glass Cages Frag tank and so does everyone who has ever seen it. The silicone they used (I believe its proprietary) is a million times better than my Marineland tank. Manufacture defects (hopefully on the low side) occur in ANY product to an extent. I'm not entirely sure, so I'll have to check again on google. But, I don't see Glass Cages tanks as being subpar on the market in comparison to other aquarium makers.

Bcavalli;1037309 wrote: I absolutely love my Glass Cages Frag tank and so does everyone who has ever seen it. The silicone they used (I believe its proprietary) is a million times better than my Marineland tank. Manufacture defects (hopefully on the low side) occur in ANY product to an extent. I'm not entirely sure, so I'll have to check again on google. But, I don't see Glass Cages tanks as being subpar on the market in comparison to other aquarium makers.

They are considered, rightfully, the lowest grade on the market.

They're cheap, so they sell a lot of tanks.

Bcavalli;1037309 wrote: I absolutely love my Glass Cages Frag tank and so does everyone who has ever seen it. The silicone they used (I believe its proprietary) is a million times better than my Marineland tank. Manufacture defects (hopefully on the low side) occur in ANY product to an extent. I'm not entirely sure, so I'll have to check again on google. But, I don't see Glass Cages tanks as being subpar on the market in comparison to other aquarium makers.

Yours isn't. I've seen several that are. It's really a roll of the dice with that guy.

Ringo®;1037333 wrote: Yours isn't. I've seen several that are. It's really a roll of the dice with that guy.

That's the terrifying part. With soooo much at risk if you're one of the many that end up with a bad one, why risk it?

There's a good number of reputable companies with solid track records. Yes, feces can and will happen to every company, but you want it to happen with a company that will take care of you if it does. And hedge your bets with a company that doesn't have so many failures.

All I can speak of is my own personal experience with my tank. I guess I didn't realize they had so many issues.

http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=AqWarranty">http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=AqWarranty</a>

90 days from purchase is their warranty. My marineland has a lifetime warranty. If their silicone was superior, i would think that they would warranty it at least a little longer. Keep in mind, from the time you purchase i was quoted 3-4 weeks and had to wait an additional 3-4 weeks for the silicone to cure. That leaves you with 30 days to cycle the tank before that warranty is gone.

Also i dont know how big your frag tank is but I doubt it is 500+ gallons. There is a lot of room for error given this, and i wouldnt want it on my floor. I am sure their work is fine for maybe 100 gallons, but beyond that, I personally would not risk it.

rdnelson99;1036951 wrote: Your papers are going to get soggy with half the file cabinet in the tank. :)

Not to mention those kitty litter boxes can be huge nitrate factories.

Ringo®;1037511 wrote: Not to mention those kitty litter boxes can be huge nitrate factories.

ahhh. so no one told you about the new kitty litter cryptic fuges. they are the rage for 2015.

Back