Dream Tank Exploration

outdrsyguy1;1036943 wrote: Okay. So I put up some tape for approximate size. <span style="color: Red">I think I'm going to push it back about 18 inches so it sticks through the back of the wall by about a foot into the fish room.</span> Here's my current dilemma:
Should I make the small sides clear or give up on trying to view from the side?
As you can see, Half of the right side will be against a small structural wall and most of the left side could be cleared to view however I worry about being able to clean it where it sticks to the wall. it's a ton of surface area to clean and since it's going to be acrylic I want to stay on top of it so and making all modifications I can to keep things off the sides of the tank so it's easy to just swipe back and forth across the length without having to worry about powerheads and rock.
Since acrylic views so much better at an angle than glass maybe it's not a big deal to cover up the sides but deep down I still think it would be nice to view from the side.
1036943=62125-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433694995.404351.jpg
>
1036943=62125-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433694995.404351.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433694995.404351.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>
1036943=62126-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433695011.888226.jpg
>
1036943=62126-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433695011.888226.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433695011.888226.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Both walls look to be structural walls...

It's all good. I sprinkle a bunch of gfo in with the kitty litter.

As to the tank, it looks like it's going to be acrylic anyway so that rules out glass cages. Now just trying to find a good price on a quality acrylic tank.

I had to have an engineer size the beam to hold up the gap i'm opening between the existing columns but luckily i found one that was reasonable. Just need to test drill the concrete to make sure the footers were poured correctly and then it's time to start nailing things down.

Anyone that has any other suggestions on acrylic tank pricing please let me know. Pretty much all the out of state companies have provided a quote in 1 to 3 days max. I've been waiting on Jeremy at SEA for almost a week now and i've called twice to follow up but they are still waiting on the quote from MRC i'm told.

Grant, i'm just pulling out the 2x6's between the existing columns comprised of (3)stacked 2x6's. Columns stay and then new supports butt up to them on either side and beam will sit on top of the new supports spanning approximately 10'.

If it was me, and i was on a budget as well as confident in my skills, id look at something like this.

http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product79.html">http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product79.html</a>

id practice on some 10-20 gallon tanks first, and youtube the glue handling. The upcharge on tanks is ridiculous for the materials they use.

also avoid polycarbonate.

you may get away with 1/2' on acrylic though.

another note. not all acrylic is the same. I put an aerospace acrylic baffle in my sump to complete a fuge and the quality was way different than anything id ever seen or felt.

I know you are considering size, but one thing to keep in you mind is cost. If you went with a 130x27.5"x24" or so the tank would only need 2 and 1/2 sheets of glass or acrylic. I you go 30" tall or wide you are looking a several more sheets i.e. one for the bottom one for the top and one for each side, basically going from 2 and 1/2 sheets to 4 and 1/2 sheets and when you go taller the thickness of the acrylic has to be taken into account. One thing I did on my last tank to save internal tank space was use an external overflow. Just food for thought. Additionally, if this has already been covered, please disregard.

Hehe. Thanks but I've already ordered the tank and begun renovations ;). See my recent build thread. Decided to splurge and go 118x56x33

Back