Drilling Acrylic?

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
Unfortunately my skimmer broke on the move from Atlanta to Mt Dora, Fl and I'm going to try to fix it. The pump directly attaches to the skimmer up through the bottom with a piece of 3/4" pvc. The ring that was glued on the inside bottom broke loose and because of the fixed bubble-plate I can't re-glue it. I've got a 3/4" uniseal that will hopefully work, but I need to make the hole bigger going through the 1/4" acrylic bottom. It's currently a 1 1/8" hole and I need it to be 1 1/4". Any ideas? I'm assuming it is acrylic even though it is black.

Bud...I'd use a dremel with a sanding drum on it. Just use a template for the actual hole size and "sand" to that point. It works really well on acrylic. Mine is speed adjustable so I don't burn the acrylic.

You can use a hole saw that can be purchased from lowes for $10-12.Ive drilled quite a few skimmer bodies to make them recirculating skimmers.Just drill it SLOOOOW so you don`t get it hot enough to melt the acrylic going too fast and don`t push too hard and crack it.

A hole saw won't work expanding an existing hole unless he can get something in the skimmer to center the pilot drill, like a block of wood. That's the only way to do it without jacking up the hole, and I'm assuming there's no way of getting a wood block in there. Do like porpoise suggested and template the hole with marker to the correct size and expanded it with a dremel.

I've drilled acrylic with a wood bit many-a-times. Makes easy work of it.

Ahhh.Didnt think about a hole already being there and no pilot for the hole saw to keep it perfectly straight.Definitely go with a dremel,just make sure its perfectly round so the uniseal with seal.

With the small graduations of the step bit you wouldn't get a clean hole, you'd likely end up with a step in the acrylic making the uniseal useless.

Thanks for all the inputs. I might be able to make a template for a hole saw. Of course I have a 1 1/8 and a 1 1/2 but not 1 1/4th but they don't cost very much. I have a dremel but don't remember where I put it when I unpacked. I'm worried about using a hole saw and I worry about not getting the hole perfectly round with the dremel. I'm busy most of this weekend so I'll make the decision on which way to go next week.

Just thinking outside the box bud but could you get some Weldon glue a solid plate of acrylic on the bottom of the hole? That way you could drill the new piece the correct size for the PVC? Kind of like a patch plate. I think the dremel would be OK. I've rounded holes larger with dremel sanding barrel before its not hard as long as u do it gradually and work a a slow enough speed

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SuperClown;836831 wrote: Just thinking outside the box bud but could you get some Weldon glue a solid plate of acrylic on the bottom of the hole? That way you could drill the new piece the correct size for the PVC? Kind of like a patch plate. I think the dremel would be OK. I've rounded holes larger with dremel sanding barrel before its not hard as long as u do it gradually and work a a slow enough speed

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, that will be my fall back plan if I screw up the current hole.

I don't know if this will work I don't have experience with this, what about a diamond bit- it would grid/ sand the acrylic ans opposed to having a pilot bit ( I would think less chance of cracking)

I'm going to have to enlarge some holes on my acrylic tank as well..

They make these spiky material removal bits, carbide I think, should allow you to remove the extra acrylic quicker than a sanding drum.. Then finish with a sanding drum to smooth it out.

You should be able to use a hole saw on your tank Giuliano. Put wood behind the hole, and extend the pilot bit enough to start into the wood first.

TinManUnited;836895 wrote: You should be able to use a hole saw on your tank Giuliano. Put wood behind the hole, and extend the pilot bit enough to start into the wood first.
That was the other idea I was considering, placing a block of wood on the outside back, tracing the existing hole, finding the center, and drilling it out from inside..

Back