DT TEMP hit 74- HELP me correct as best possible!!

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
Screwed up dang it!!
6C8DA0F1-291A-4AFA-BADB-F515EDC28D90_zps5hj3rl9d.jpg
alt="" />

Temp was 75, not sure 74 what or how long. Apex kept sump right of course.
I brought temp up to 75.5 over an hours period. I've got to go back to work so thinking I should keep high at 76 for several hours, then make the high today 77?

Worried about PH swing. Maybe cut lights at 8.2 for the day?

Honestly don't know what's the right way at this pont. Missing Dave right now :(
Is there any other issues or items to be concerned about or drastic swings?

Thanks

It's just one degree I don't think you have to worry.. my tank has two or 3 degree swings and everything is fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

If your system isn't use to swings you probably want to take your time bringing it back up to where you want it at. But a degree or two is pretty safe. I keep my Apex temp gauge in my overflow and heaters in my sump that way I always know my tanks temp. I also keep a secondary Apex temp gauge in my refugium downstairs as a failsafe.

Shouldn't be a big deal provided the change (both the initial mishap & the correction you're doing) happen over a gradual period of time. I don't see why a 1-2F change a day over the next couple days won;t get things back where you want them with little or no overall impact. What do you normally keep the display's temperature at?

Just about everything in your pic looks like it's A-OK with life in general.:up:

My old tank went from 80 to 83 daily. Not sure when the hysteria started about temp swings.

Sorry, I should have made myself clearer. I freaked out but had very little time as I needed to get back to the job site.
My tanks bottom LOW = 77.5. So 76, 75 or 74 just DON'T happen. My heater comes on at 77. My daily high is just below or at 80 degrees.

Because the house has been cooler, yesterdays high was 79.5. So last night I had a swing of 5+ degrees in less than 7 hours!
I keep temp high to eliminate big swings from the MH lights (only use fans to cool).
My daily swing is less than 3 degrees.

I had no time to think and didn't want to SCREW UP WORSE if I needed to do something different like keep the PH from an up, down, up swing...

Obviously, I left the return off all night, such a STUPID mistake! Won't happen again, programmed another feed cycle for 15 minute feeds. I brought temp to 76.8 left it for several house, then shut MH off at 77.8 today and kept heaters high at 78 instead of letting it run the normal corse of close to 80.

I did text a "more experienced" member for advise after the post worried that I was forgetting somthing else I should change up today...

I had turned the return back on, when I came back To check on it a little later apex graph showed (from the thermometer in the sump) that temps had gone to 74 before crawling back up to this point that you see on the screen at 75 (as the heater kicked back on)....

Everything looks fine but bet I wouldn't see STN, RTN or??? yet if it was to happen. Whatcha all think?

Thanks for the above replies :)

grouper therapy;1061408 wrote: My old tank went from 80 to 83 daily. Not sure when the hysteria started about temp swings.

Would a swing of 5+ degrees in 7 hours concern you?
What type of swing in PH would concern you?

I Realize I didn't give enough info but value your thoughts... What about SPS issues from this?

I used to run 76-83 daily when I had metal halides and internal pumps. Tank looked incredible. I set my apex to cut off lights at 83 and heaters to turn on at 76 once I got it set up.

Bcavalli;1061382 wrote: If your system isn't use to swings you probably want to take your time bringing it back up to where you want it at. But a degree or two is pretty safe. I keep my Apex temp gauge in my overflow and heaters in my sump that way I always know my tanks temp. I also keep a secondary Apex temp gauge in my refugium downstairs as a failsafe.

Your SO XXXX smart!

I'm copying you, anything else I need to do Mr. Right :)

FF337;1061441 wrote: I used to run 76-83 daily when I had metal halides and internal pumps. Tank looked incredible. I set my apex to cut off lights at 83 and heaters to turn on at 76 once I got it set up.

That's a pretty big daily swing. What was your PH swing?

I would have thought a 7 degree daily swing would be a BIG nono!

8.1-8.6 were the largest. Mainly on hot days when I ran ac a lot and Kalk via topoff.

Also watch your corals. They will tell you when they are not happy.

Camellia;1061435 wrote: Would a swing of 5+ degrees in 7 hours concern you?
What type of swing in PH would concern you?

I Realize I didn't give enough info but value your thoughts... What about SPS issues from this?
Make sure you understood my Hysteria comment was nor directed at you. The hobby as whole seemed to think that anything less than .5 degree swing was a big no no and that is simply not the case. 5 degrees mat be pushing it but that is only an absolute guess on my part. I do know from running the same system for 6 years with a 3 degree swing in 24 hours had absolutely no ill effects on my system. My ph bounced from 8 to 8.2 but I also dripped kalkwasser 24/7

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with stability just the margins are not as tight as some have stated that they need to be. Alk stability ? That's another story.

imo It's good for your corals to get some swings now and then. Toughens em up. I'd guess everything turns out ok... Might have some pissed off pieces for a day or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave, not taken negatively. I agree with the 3° swing, it occurs pretty much daily basis in my system too with no problems. I was shocked today tho, and upset with myself. Dang Fiber Fog memory!

-------
Sounds good guys.

So far, so good....
Thanks

FF337;1061444 wrote: 8.1-8.6 were the largest. Mainly on hot days when I ran ac a lot and Kalk via topoff.

Also watch your corals. They will tell you when they are not happy.

Does Kalk help with PH swing?

My swings are much higher than that!
I've got a Kalk stirrer and have been thinking of running that or in ATO but since tank prams are good and critters happy, I haven't.

I do run GFO.

Back