ebay skimmer

Dakota9;286409 wrote: I've seen real skimmers......... On very large tanks. When you're talking about a 30g cube, very rarely would you see a 4 foot skimmer attached to it, meaning that your options become limited. Even the best skimmers leave a large percentage of gunk in the water. But I'm just sayin how much better off are you for having spent 600+ on a Precision Marine or 19.99 on the Lee's. Both are still leaving crap in the water.... To think otherwise is just mis-informed.
Better off to rely on a balanced bio-load and good husbandry

True, your best bet on a 30g are water changes; nothing beats water changes.

I disagree with your assumption of all skimmers leaving a large percentage of crud in the water though (well, are you talking in general or just nano?). If nano, maybe so. If not, definately not; great skimmers will clean the water and leave a minimal amount of gunk in the water.

Dakota9;286409 wrote: I've seen real skimmers......... On very large tanks. When you're talking about a 30g cube, very rarely would you see a 4 foot skimmer attached to it, meaning that your options become limited. Even the best skimmers leave a large percentage of gunk in the water. But I'm just sayin how much better off are you for having spent 600+ on a Precision Marine or 19.99 on the Lee's. Both are still leaving crap in the water.... To think otherwise is just mis-informed.
Better off to rely on a balanced bio-load and good husbandry
I also disagree here. My ocean force 100 was on my 30 cube :doh:

I've read online from several sources that agree that only about 70% of the disolved biologicals out of the water.

My sources could be flawed, no one wants to quote an exact figure on anything regarding information of this type....

The smaller entry level models on the other hand do leave a far greater amount of dissolved biological detris in the water, but my question still remains. How good is good? How much is enough? My tank thrived with the lee's, it thrived with the built-in-sump skimmer. In the end, whose to say you're truly better off?

I gotta be at work in 6 hours, better get to bed..... Later

ares;286435 wrote: since we cant measure for dissolved organics to be truthful, there is no telling. we have no way of measuring the performance of a skimmer at all...

just alot of people trying to accomplish the same thing, keep a tank full of fish and corals alive and thriving, and people reporting back on their individual results, and us attributing such success to various random reasons.

100 points if you can even say what a dissolved organic molecule in the water is, and why it is bad...

I have not a clue other than to say it must include carbon for it to be considered organic, where it comes from and what it actually is, Id love to know though. I know that none of my test kits have the letter C in them.
Protiens caused from animal waste that break down into ammonia and eventually nitrates. The idea is to skim them out before they are able to convert. :D You can ship me my cardboard cookie LOL

Back