Ecotech LED Fixture Debut

I am guessing the fan is on the bottom so people can mount the light flush inside of a canopy (at least make it flush with the light). I also wonder if the fan pushes air out. I was curious as to why they isolated the LEDs into the circular arrangement and choose not to disperse them evenly across the fixture.

gmpolan;685902 wrote: cant believe their pricing them over 700 when the market has wayyyyyyy better options for less, good luck ecotech with those sales even tho they have great features, i highly doubt you ll get a good bite out the public....just my two cents

Which fixtures are way better (and not DIY?)? Not saying this to sound rude, I am genuinely curious. I just returned my MH light and was thinking about going towards the direction of LEDs. I think I am finally going to take the plunge.

atlweb;687955 wrote: Which fixtures are way better (and not DIY?)? Not saying this to sound rude, I am genuinely curious. I just returned my MH light and was thinking about going towards the direction of LEDs. I think I am finally going to take the plunge.

It's way to early to make judgements at this point, but I've heard nothing but negitive reviews from the Ecotech LED's.

I've been cautiously watching the LED market for a while now. I was almost convinced that I was going to go AI in the spring. Seemed like there were so many positive posts about those units everywhere. However, it seems some are getting brave enough to admit they spent a ton of money and have gotten less than they hoped. Still.. others have had incredible success.

I have NO idea about what makes a good or bad LED setup, but after seeing purpleGORILLA's tank a few weeks ago... I am sooooo sold on the units he had.

http://www.eshinesystem.com/aqua/3g-100x3w-led-aquarium-light.html">http://www.eshinesystem.com/aqua/3g-100x3w-led-aquarium-light.html</a>

He had a few of these over his tank and it is GORGEOUS. The colors on all of his corals is great and he is clearly experiencing excellent growth given the size of the frags I got, just a few short months after he had cut up a prior round of ginormous frags.

To top it of... they're cheap. The unit linked above is only $240 each. It has 100 3w Bridgelux chips. Stock the unit comes split 50/50 white and blue. I think that Trinh said he had 52 blues and 48 whites, and gave him a 14k look. They will customize the unit to your request as well. Starting in October they will be dimmable and you can purchase a controller for $60. The downside is that a controller only works on one unit and they are not sure if the lights can be dimmed via a tank controller. They havent tested it, but said it wouldnt work.

Eh... I can live with all of that. My MH dont dim so they're either on.. or off. Shipping is like $204 from China and I'll be getting 4 units sometime... whenever I can find the funds. If anyone wants in lemme know!!!! We can split the shipping up :up:

DawgFace;687956 wrote: It's way to early to make judgements at this point, but I've heard nothing but negitive reviews from the Ecotech LED's.

Really? What type of feedback?

I'll admit I havent seen any negative feedback on the EcoTech units other than those complaining that they had them over a bare tank at MACNA. However, I just dont see how they're that much better than anything out there. Sure they come with some cool tricks and gadgets... but are they worth THAT much money? Ask someone that dropped over $500 on their AIs a few months ago... and now knows that I could go buy the same unit for over $100 less. $750 is too much money, especially when you consider i'd need 4 on my 180...

Crewdawg1981;687961 wrote: I'll admit I havent seen any negative feedback on the EcoTech units other than those complaining that they had them over a bare tank at MACNA. However, I just dont see how they're that much better than anything out there. Sure they come with some cool tricks and gadgets... but are they worth THAT much money? Ask someone that dropped over $500 on their AIs a few months ago... and now knows that I could go buy the same unit for over $100 less. $750 is too much money, especially when you consider i'd need 4 on my 180...

Definitely. Luckily I am only putting them on a 50g cube, so I am hoping one fixture could get the job done in my tank. I am willing to spend the extra money if it is sleek, well made, and grows my corals well. There is just so much skepticism around lighting these days that it makes it hard to trust any manufacturer.

I almost feel like I have to buy each light and test it for myself. Lucky lotto numbers? Anyone?

Price
Light spread
No mounting
Odd coloration or extremely hard to get them set properly

All of this from people from MACNA.... FWIW they are all die hard AI fans so....

Edit:
Crewdawg1981;687958 wrote: I've been cautiously watching the LED market for a while now. I was almost convinced that I was going to go AI in the spring. Seemed like there were so many positive posts about those units everywhere. However, it seems some are getting brave enough to admit they spent a ton of money and have gotten less than they hoped. Still.. others have had incredible success.

I have NO idea about what makes a good or bad LED setup, but after seeing purpleGORILLA's tank a few weeks ago... I am sooooo sold on the units he had.

http://www.eshinesystem.com/aqua/3g-100x3w-led-aquarium-light.html">http://www.eshinesystem.com/aqua/3g-100x3w-led-aquarium-light.html</a>

He had a few of these over his tank and it is GORGEOUS. The colors on all of his corals is great and he is clearly experiencing excellent growth given the size of the frags I got, just a few short months after he had cut up a prior round of ginormous frags.

To top it of... they're cheap. The unit linked above is only $240 each. It has 100 3w Bridgelux chips. Stock the unit comes split 50/50 white and blue. I think that Trinh said he had 52 blues and 48 whites, and gave him a 14k look. They will customize the unit to your request as well. Starting in October they will be dimmable and you can purchase a controller for $60. The downside is that a controller only works on one unit and they are not sure if the lights can be dimmed via a tank controller. They havent tested it, but said it wouldnt work.

Eh... I can live with all of that. My MH dont dim so they're either on.. or off. Shipping is like $204 from China and I'll be getting 4 units sometime... whenever I can find the funds. If anyone wants in lemme know!!!! We can split the shipping up :up:[/QUOTE]

I'm looking at the site now and very interested. I'll be putting them over my 450 that I'm picking up this weekend. Having said that I'd be more interested in the 200x3w but can't seem to find the price?

Yeah, they're still updating everything. go to http://www.eshinesystems.com/">www.eshinesystems.com</a> (the site that says "systems" is from China... the "system" site is from the US). Talk with one of the reps. I've spoken with Vicky, Ivy and Robin several times and they have all been extremely helpful. I didnt realize they had a 200x3w unit... are you sure you dont mean the 200x1w unit? I thought the biggest they had was a 150x3w unit.

I'm telling you... go look at Trinh's tank and any and all fears about these units will dissipate. His tank looks amazing... and its not super blue. Of course, you could always have them put more blues than he did.

* I tried to reply to your PM, but your inbox is full.

Fixed the inbox issue, sorry.

Here is the 200x3w unit.

a>

DawgFace;687969 wrote: Fixed the inbox issue, sorry.

Here is the 200x3w unit.

http://www.eshinesystem.com/aqua/3g-200x3w-led-aquarium-light.html">http://www.eshinesystem.com/aqua/3g-200x3w-led-aquarium-light.html</a>[/QUOTE]

Veeeerrry interesting. I'd only need two of those!

Either way... I love the features of the AI and Ecotech units, but these call to me. After seeing real life results... its hard to argue against them. For me at least.

Crewdawg1981;687971 wrote: Veeeerrry interesting. I'd only need two of those!

Either way... I love the features of the AI and Ecotech units, but these call to me. After seeing real life results... its hard to argue against them. For me at least.

Just sent off a email to them. If I don't hear from them I'll give them a call tomorrow. I'm going to see if I can't get an appointment with Trinh to check them out. If they are what your saying I'm in! Only problem is I will be ordering fairly soon if I go this route.

Don't rule out maxspect have you seen their new setups, amazing and looks awesome!

Here's a thread from RC where a bunch of us are discussing these LEDs. Useful to see what others have been able to glean. (I'm snarkes on RC).

showthread.php

Grant, if you or anyone planning to order the 300w fixture. Make sure you get the 90 degree lens. I have both the 60 and 90 degree lens and I like the spread of the 90 more. The 60 will penetrate more but in honesty I don't think I even need that much par from the 300w light. I am getting 400 pars at the sand level...LOL.

Duly noted Trinh. I hope you dont mind me pimping your tank, but it was gorgeous.

purpleGORILLA;688022 wrote: Grant, if you or anyone planning to order the 300w fixture. Make sure you get the 90 degree lens. I have both the 60 and 90 degree lens and I like the spread of the 90 more. The 60 will penetrate more but in honesty I don't think I even need that much par from the 300w light. I am getting 400 pars at the sand level...LOL.

Trinh,
Your SPS colors are beautiful, and your LEDs are blue and white and non-dimmable, right? Your tank proves you don't necessarily need red, green or UV LEDs to be successful.

What wattage are your LEDs, and what is the white to blue ratio in them?

Really nice tank pics (from your FS Post).

Crewdawg1981;688026 wrote: Duly noted Trinh. I hope you dont mind me pimping your tank, but it was gorgeous.

It is still the nicest tank I have seen in person. Hands down.

Nate, I have a total of 4 units on a 200 gallon Marineland deep which is 36inch deep.

1. 200w (first light I ordered to test out, this was a 200 of 1 w bulbs with no lens)
2. 300w with 100-3w LED bulbs 52 white and 48 blue ( I have two of these units but they were 60 degree lens so the spread on these wasn't what I expected, however penetration on these was more than my 250w halides.)

3. I later add another 300w (100-3w LED) same ratio of 52 white to 48 blue to the middle of the tank. These came with 90 degree lens.

Dave, non of mine are dimmable. I have halides that was constant on and off for the past 3 years so I don't think i needed that option. However I do have 3 -t5s actinics that I have turned on 30 minutes prior.

Back