Ecotech Versa

It sounded like the issue was with the tube set, not specifically the pump, if I understand correctly Leo?

It sounded like the issue was with the tube set, not specifically the pump, if I understand correctly Leo?

This time it seems its just the tube set. It was the tube set AND the pump itself at first. Too many major problems with this pump in a short amount of time. I cannot trust it as my calrx feed anymore

I just hook my up to a calcium reactor yesterday, pumping 40ml a minute. Let’s see how long before it’s starting to have problem. I was using it as a dose pump before this.

I just hook my up to a calcium reactor yesterday, pumping 40ml a minute. Let’s see how long before it’s starting to have problem. I was using it as a dose pump before this.

Keep us posted! It may work better for you since it’s low flow and, depending on your setup, you may not have as many restrictions. I need a pump that’s got some torque. I have my pump setup to pull water through. It’s got the main chamber with Reborn media and a second chamber with crushed coral. My flow rate is 80ml/min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if you're wanting to use this pump for a calcium reactor in a pull configuration, this pump may not be for you. Tim, the president of Ecotech, just revealed that "you will get about 30-50% of the pumping capacity of the pump in a pull configuration versus a push". You can read the thread here. They claimed they worked on this pump and tested it for years but it seems the first adopters were the real beta testers. Lesson learned.

WOW. I just asked on that thread if this was a known issue. I ASKED. And this guy, the president, accuses me of calling it a known issue and putting words in his mouth.

I suspect cavitation may have had something to do with the premature hose failure on your Versa peristaltic pump.

This is a known phenomenon in engineering and I’m a little surprised it hasn’t been mentioned before. Especially on calcium reactors run in a ‘pull’ configuration.

Cavitation has been responsible for a number of catastrophic failures through the years. Everything from impellers to fighter plane propellers and even kidney stones.

Another thought is that micro particles of calcium coming out of the reactor just wore out the hose prematurely. Kind of ‘sand blasted’ it.

Another might be a lack of chemical inertness.

Somebody on that thread mentioned that this a normal trait of a peristaltic pump. The ecotech guy is saying that their recommendation is to use it as a push configuration. All I’m saying is that kind of info/recommendation would’ve been useful at the beginning....not a few months later after people been complaining. They claimed this was in development/testing for years so I assumed this would work without problems regardless of push or pull configuration. If this a trait of peristaltic pumps, shouldn’t kamoers and masterflexes have this problem as well. I know most of the masterflex pumps used for reefing are decades old and they work flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The recommended configuration for calcium reactors is in a pull configuration. Them not planning accordingly for that is mind boggling...

I'm also not sure how cavitation would be an issue as the pump movement is very slow... It could be a factor but my gut says that it would be nominal. My gut knows little about cavitation though so I can't speak intelligently on it.

As for powerloss from push/pull that's going to be the case for a lot of pumps out there. A few pumps that are way overpowered like a masterflex and similar pumps don't see this loss though. They simply have massive motors that never strain against further resistance and will be consistent in both push/pull.

Back