EMERGENCY!!! Crocea Clam in Trouble!!

i had the same problem. did you read about that Vietnamese clam disease in that clam thread? it says something like the clams are fine until something changes in the environment, like temp or maybe current, and they just cant handle it. look for it if you want more details. i think the title was like "clam deaths" or something like that.

For now, any damage that could happen from his death is contained...I hate to sound so stupid, but I honestly can't tell if he's truly dead. He doesn't smell like roses, but he doesn't smell like rotting fish either. In my mother's words, he's "iffy". So all I know to do is wait and watch.

Hadn't heard of the clam disease, but I'll look into it. This has me majorly bummed and paranoid about everything else in the tank. Charlie was my first clam, so it's particularly cruddy to see him go.

Crap sandwiches. :boo:

That clam plague was a protozoan calle Perkinsia sp. If you had it, all your clams would be dead. I doubt you have it.

All croceas that is....or were all other effected by that? I know I lost 3 to it :(

*sigh*

I'm posting pics, but Charlie's gone...he's stinky now and looks worse than he did earlier today...

This is one of the first pics I took of him earlier today:
Charlie001.jpg
alt="" />

This is just a few minutes ago:

Charlie007.jpg
alt="" />

Charlie008.jpg
alt="" />

Poor, poor Charlie...

Charlie009.jpg
alt="" />

I'm gonna put him in the freezer, just to be absolutely sure...but honestly...look at the pics...he's already gone :sad:

Yep, that is called "gaping". A classic symptom of rather imminent death. Unfortunately, it is a symptom for many clam ailments, so you cant really pinpoint it down to any specific ailment.

Lee, it can effect ALL clams. Remember that powerbuy from CapBay when all the clams died, as well as all tye clams in nthe tank to? That was Perkinsus olseni (from what I have researched), and it effected all tridacnids. It was not CapBays fault, as it was actually a world wide problem. It was introduced from croceas from Vietnam.

Back