Emergency, Need Copepods Quick

tanner86

Market
Reaction score
I think the title says it all. I have a uv system and the copepod population is slim to none. My mandarin would like some food, so if anyone has copepods or grows them please let me know the price and when I can pick them up. If no one has any, where would be a good place to get some fast?

ill give you some cheato full of copepods for free you just have to come to lawrenceville

How am I going to get the copepods into the display part without putting the cheato in the tank?

You can't keep this up for long. The best thing for the Mandering is to give it away to someone that have large systerm and lots of pods to feed it.

I do not think it the UV that killing your pods, I do belive that the Mandering are eatting them up

What kind of uv you have? Should just be water going through the uv, the pods sould be staying on the sand and rock. Do you have a refugium?

WOLFIE;114322 wrote: You can't keep this up for long. The best thing for the Mandering is to give it away to someone that have large systerm and lots of pods to feed it.

I do not think it the UV that killing your pods, I do belive that the Mandering are eatting them up

I have a 140gal tank with over 200lbs of live rock which were consumed by copepods. I did my research before I bought the mandarin. The uv is the only thing added that is new and I have noticed a gradual decline in the copepod population. I have had the mandarin for a while.

Victor626nj;114320 wrote: do you have a sump /fug

I have a sump with calerpa. I can throw the cheato in there and let it spread to the main display.

The mandarin is probably the reason for the steady decline in pods. Fashion yourself an "In-Tank Refugium" to help out the pod population

then you sould be fine. I thought you have a much smaller tank. Sorry my mistake.

UV can not kill your pods that fast. since they have to be suck into the pump then run through the UV.

if you have a sump with fug you can do it like i do ....i get water from the drain in to the uv out to the fug that way you dont cook the pods ....i have billions of pods man i picked up an smal peace of rock and they looked like roaches lol

Dakota9;114323 wrote: What kind of uv you have? Should just be water going through the uv, the pods sould be staying on the sand and rock. Do you have a refugium?

The uv is a 27watt I believe. I had a 9watt before but recently upgraded.

Pods still shouldnt be going through the uv, look into the in-tank refugium idea, it'll save the mandrin

I've seen them for sale on Saltwaterfish.com they're $9.99, for 200. They're listed in the shrimp. They claim free shipping...but slap on a "fuel surcharge". btw...my manderin never at prepared foods till I tried PE mysis... he's getting fatter everyday! I hope i posted link right for Copepods. PE mysis you can get at Aquabuys.

product_info.php

Ya the UV should have no real effect on your pod population. If you make your way to Lawrenceville. I will donate some live mysid shrimp and and a bag full of pods.

I agree though... PE Mysis are some of the best food and most things will take it and ask for seconds.

Victor626nj;114334 wrote: if you have a sump with fug you can do it like i do ....i get water from the drain in to the uv out to the fug that way you dont cook the pods ....i have billions of pods man i picked up an smal peace of rock and they looked like roaches lol

Maybe I am not understanding this correctly. My fuge setup is water in to first chamber to large sponge, then thru the sponge to calerpa where the uv intake is, then water flows over second sponge. Water then continues to skimmer and is filter thru the second sponge again. Water is finally transferred to the return pump where the uv outtake pump is.

Dakota9;114336 wrote: Pods still shouldnt be going through the uv, look into the in-tank refugium idea, it'll save the mandrin

what is an intake refugium system?

here is a quick layout maybe it will help you undeerstand
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
114341=7008-sump.bmp_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
114341=7008-sump.bmp_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="sump.bmp_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Skimmer should be in front of the uv to keep the uv cleaner, IMO. My intake to uv and out put from uv are both in the same chamber as the return pump. I know theres water being uv'ed more than once this way, but all the better I suppose

Back