Enders Mid Life Crisis Build

UPDATE!

The time finally came to take down the shelves. I had been wanting to swap the feed out and repaint the shelves.

So After unplugging and moving everything I realized just how much crap was on the shelves.

IJkh9zb.jpg

Buckets and halides
ZaUtlut.jpg

Calcium stuff and starting to paint the shelves.
DnTLLPx.jpg

Why I wanted to swap the feet.....
SxyPfvy.jpg

Back together with a new addition.
fp1ocJM.jpg

A few new stands and some shifting and we have everything fitting nicely.
03hNuQz.jpg

Now its time to make the sink area a bit better. I had been wanting to redo the wire conduit along the wall so I could use smaller conduit and rearrange some gear. So out came the sink.

AU2QBw8.jpg

I added some wing / counters a ghetto backsplash with a sheet of PVC. Cost me under $40 and I have space to dry stuff now. I plan to get a better sink and actually tile stuff but this will work for now. Its also now all wired so I can add an FMM under the sink. Leak sensors in the HVAC closet, one under the sink with the RO unit and power for a solenoid to control the RO. Im waiting on a new module mount for the FMM and I can get all that installed.

UqhdvZU.jpg

Next up I got my salt resupply in and almost filled the salt cabinet. Turns out I can fit 23 boxes if I stack it right. That should be right at a years worth.
8btT5Lj.jpg

What I forgot about is the fact I need to move most of the salt again to be able to get the USB wire to the pump area so the FMM under the sink can connect to the apex system. So that will wait a little longer now.

The dragons breath algae I had in the fuge was really starting to grow now. Looks like the extra feedings and ammonia dosing are actually helping. So I decided to get some more algaes. I still need some ulva, because I want to grow stuff the tangs will eat. But the fuge is neat looking now.

qYRXodI.jpg

Full tank update.

And a parting tease, what awaits the mini fridge!
3UjvoZp.jpg

Engineer : A person who will spend days crafting a device to save 20 seconds.

Work continues on the auto feeder! This fitting will make a great in wall disconnect for the feeding tube.

WwEDjmx.jpg

Hole made and test tubing connected.
BBRPPY5.jpg

Taking notes from the AV guys, ran the test tubes along the floor. I connected the feeding lines to the valves used to drain the return piping for maintenance. If all works well Ill tap the return lines after the flow meters for obvious reasons. Once testing is done Ill run tubing around the walls in the conduit.

v8Hn7w0.jpg

The plan is to use prime the tubing with food (dose the volume of the tubing), then feed the tank (dose the volume of actual food you want to feed), then reverse prime the tubing (reverse dose the volume of the tubing to put the food back in the fridge)
So the first test is to see how much volume the tubing contains. This is about 12 feet of tube, run around the walls it will be about 20-25 feet. I was expecting about 20-30 ml, I was wrong.

nUYS5DB.jpg

So that means all said and done I will need about 200 ml just to prime the tubes when its actually installed. That will complicate things.

Anyway, next test...add food. I started with some small calanus to get going.

tEVDL0k.jpg

I programed the APEX, and set it to feed 40ml, 5 times a day at 9-12-3-6-9. IT WORKS! The anthias are loving it. After a few days with no issues I added mysis, blood worms and brine. Ill be testing this for the next few days but so far its a great success.

Next step is to try DIY food which is where Im concerned clogging will become an issue.

That's some awesome engineering!!! O.O

Quick question about the auto feeder.
So the auto feeder feeds liquid food and reverse pump back into the container what is left inside the line? If so, is there anything coming back out from the feed-line from return line where you have it connected?

Yes, at the moment when the pump reverses its sucking tank water into the line. Not ideal but the best option I have right now.

Ideal would have been running the return pipe for each tank near, or through the fridge and dosing directing to it there. But this was never part of the original design so now I have to make it work. I saw a few that clear the lines with RO water but that would be a full liter of RO every day to clear the lines and Id rather that evaporation be made up with kalk. So I was left with reversing the pump to clear the lines.

I plan to add feeding lines to the QT tanks as well, because why not. On those I will drop the food directing into the tank in front of the return. That way when it reverses its just sucking air into the tube.

So far its working fine and I dont really think having some tank water in the line overnight is an issue.

You right, that’s not bad since it’s just the same amount of water and it keeps the line filled and not dried. Cool~~

I found it! I checked this build out every time I was at SEA meeting with Jeff about my tank and I have to say this thing is epic! I'm glad I found this thread so I can see how it ends up. Awesome set up!

I’ve not been active in a while, WOW what a build. I love all of this! the refrigerated feeder setup, I am really interested in. I started down that path but stopped before, love to see how it turns out!

Well since adding "larger" foods to the pot my auto feeder is experiencing issues.

One issue I did not expect. When calibrating the pumps, I used the full length of tubing for an accurate calibration. BUT after every feeding I would have more water in the food cup than before the feeding. I narrowed it down to the fact I have the tubes connected to the pressurized return lines for the tanks.

So I put the food suction line in a beaker and measured what got sucked out. Results were within calibration error, ok lets try reverse. WAY more water came back in that went out. In the range of 100ml out and 125ml back in. Over a few tests the amount of water would vary but still be more than went out.

Ok what can I do to fix this? Turns out the DOS pumps only have two rollers, BUT you can get replacements that have 4 rollers from the GLH pumps for $9. So I got some. Why the DOS didnt have this to start I honestly can not comprehend. The cost savings could not have been worth it for something that makes the pump run so much better.

zH4ELAp.jpg

The other issue I figured would happen. The pumps are clogging at the head connectors. Just look how tiny that hole is!

yzGT1BC.jpg

The mysis and blood worms were clogging this sucker up good. I have ideas on how to fix this which I will try once parts arrive.

So In the mean time Im only going to put calanus, fish eggs and coral fenzy in the feeder and see if the random return numbers continue before I start modifying the DOS.

In other news the next round of fish have just completed their 8 week treatment and will be coming out of QT this weekend. And my mastertronic is down because it needs a new syringe actuator. Machines are fun right up until the break.

Well since adding "larger" foods to the pot my auto feeder is experiencing issues.

One issue I did not expect. When calibrating the pumps, I used the full length of tubing for an accurate calibration. BUT after every feeding I would have more water in the food cup than before the feeding. I narrowed it down to the fact I have the tubes connected to the pressurized return lines for the tanks.

So I put the food suction line in a beaker and measured what got sucked out. Results were within calibration error, ok lets try reverse. WAY more water came back in that went out. In the range of 100ml out and 125ml back in. Over a few tests the amount of water would vary but still be more than went out.

Ok what can I do to fix this? Turns out the DOS pumps only have two rollers, BUT you can get replacements that have 4 rollers from the GLH pumps for $9. So I got some. Why the DOS didnt have this to start I honestly can not comprehend. The cost savings could not have been worth it for something that makes the pump run so much better.

zH4ELAp.jpg

The other issue I figured would happen. The pumps are clogging at the head connectors. Just look how tiny that hole is!

yzGT1BC.jpg

The mysis and blood worms were clogging this sucker up good. I have ideas on how to fix this which I will try once parts arrive.

So In the mean time Im only going to put calanus, fish eggs and coral fenzy in the feeder and see if the random return numbers continue before I start modifying the DOS.

In other news the next round of fish have just completed their 8 week treatment and will be coming out of QT this weekend. And my mastertronic is down because it needs a new syringe actuator. Machines are fun right up until the break.
Have you tried clipping the ends a bit and drilling the holes out larger? I think there is ample material to at least drill some out of the middle…just a thought. Keep the posts coming!

And the people who install it solve the actual problems that exist because an engineer doesn't understand..lol. It's a circle of "make it work".

Those are the Ga Tech grads.

Lifes been kicking my ass lately. Ive been dealing with wrong parts orders trying to get fittings that wont clog, finally got it all working and drilled a freon line in the fridge.

Ill get an update worked up.

My adventures if autofeeding. It stinks.

So last update I was waiting for some parts. What should have been a 1/4" barb to push connector showed up as 3/16" barb. Which as it turns out are the same exact Fing size as the stock DOS fitting.
Vc9cTuX.jpg

For reference, this is the correct size barb. Which I got on the second order...all two of them...in a 10 pack....with eight 3/16 fittings....
IStbvkd.jpg

Stock DOS tube, 1/4" should work tube, and the 1/4" barb.
aIBwI4G.jpg

So with the two I had I could get one pump working. I trimmed the barbs down and after some reassurance and lube shoved them into the tube. So now I have a DOS head with 1/4" push fittings, no obstructions and 4 rollers.

XEmEYVU.jpg

"Comment Redacted"
jmKih78.jpg

Going down the line I found another obstruction in the valves, and fixed it.

HcyR3RD.jpg

oO7cL9p.jpg

Everything was working well with Mysis, brine and blood worms. I tried fish eggs but they got stuck everywhere so I dont think Ill bother with those again. But I was feeding roughly a cube of food 5 times a day to the display and 2 times a day to the frag tank with out issues for a week. The results, happier, puffier corals. Happier fish, especially the anthias, and my nitrates rose from 2 to 3.5. That included the addition of 20 fish with the increased feedings. I also kept the ammonia dosing the same, pellets are still fed twice a day and am still feeding 5 cubes at night on top of it all.

Since everything was working great I decided it was time to eliminate the last clog point and drill a separate intake line for the frag tank feeder. So I did. Right into the freon line. SInce it no longer mattered I drilled holes in the other locations I wanted to see where the other freon lines where, and the results. Nowhere else. Had I moved the hole matrix down 1/4" I would have missed it.
3NQ49Ic.jpg

Oh and right before I drilled that fateful hole I ran 6 new tubes through the conduit for feed lines to each tank.

AaSviLT.jpg

mRhV4xx.jpg

2pgdNs1.jpg

So while I wait on the new fridge Ill get those hooked up. Here is why I want to move the feed lines downstream of the flow sensors.

0ymMNsL.jpg

Finally got a new actuator for the mastertronic.

LvsIBdf.jpg

jZ4Ctsc.jpg

I also picked up a new UV for the other QT tank.

0UGFkq5.jpg

Like a GLOVE

poZPlvX.jpg

More to come.

I feel like the amount of money alone that you have put into all this, you could just pay someone to come over daily to feed your fish and maintain your tank for you. But where is the fun in that. LOL.
For the size of the system, I think it’s awesome idea and innovative! That being said, I am lost with the words on this build. (Both amazed and also dumbfounded). O.O

I feel like the amount of money alone that you have put into all this, you could just pay someone to come over daily to feed your fish and maintain your tank for you. But where is the fun in that. LOL.

1000012826.gif

Do you tell the guy building a hot rod he could just hire a chofer?

All said and done this thing will feed 6 tanks, many times a day. It will be worth it. Hopefully I can even keep some NPS stuff.

Back