Evaluation

scramer74

Market
Reaction score
If there are any reefers out there that are ever near the Dunwoody area and are willing to take a quick look at my tank to help me know if I'm doing everything right, and so forth, please let me know. I would very much appreciate it!

This is my first saltwater so... you never know. It's been running about 3 months now.

I just wanted to check that I have things in the right place, what certain things are that are growing, etc.

Thanks!!

I took a quick look at your post history - a good place to start would be a build thread. Basically a thread that highlights everything in your tank. You can focus on things like what equipment you're using, which lights you have, lighting schedule, total water volume, etc, etc... That, plus some pictures of what your tank looks like will help more than you think. Not only will you have a documented place to see how your tank is evolving over time (coral growth, algae blooms and clearing up, etc) but you are creating a place to discuss your tank specifically and what you should or shouldn't be doing.

I work in the Perimeter/Dunwoody area. Plus I like seeing other people's setups... you never know where that next little bit of inspiration will come from. :)

I suspect that my own tank is just a pastiche of bits I've liked about others around the area or online. But I'd be happy as one semi-noob to help out another.

Sherri, not that I have a clue compared to others. If you can wait till next week I would be more than happy to stop by. You might give me some new ideas for my system. :)

Thanks Brett and Jeremy!! anytime you want to stop by just let me know! I work from home so I'm here... A LOT! :) Brett, I think you definitely have more then a clue!!!!

You can get a lot of the answers you're looking for just by posting pictures and asking questions here. Don't be shy.

scramer74;1027405 wrote: Thanks Brett and Jeremy!! anytime you want to stop by just let me know! I work from home so I'm here... A LOT! :) Brett, I think you definitely have more then a clue!!!!

Thank you Sherri! But, like every one else , I'm learning every day.

BTW - Brett's pulling your leg on overall lack-of-cluedness - his tank(s) dominate his living room and extend down into his basement. ;)

Plus he's an awesome guy to hit up for inexpensive high-quality frags.

BulkRate;1027434 wrote: BTW - Brett's pulling your leg on overall lack-of-cluedness - his tank(s) dominate his living room and extend down into his basement. ;)

Plus he's an awesome guy to hit up for inexpensive high-quality frags.

Thank you for your kind words. :)

It was a pleasure to meet you face-to-face, Sherri.

Looks pretty good to me for such a young tank. You've got a couple more fish in there than I would so early in, but they seem healthy and your water change schedule's aggressive enough to keep things in OK shape. Give your existing corals some time to fill in the gaps and don;t forget that expo's just around the corner. Lots of good deals or unusual finds to be had there.

Only things I'd recommend would be beefing up your lighting and diversifying your clean-up crew. Since you're already using a current orbit unit, I'd look at adding a second one or switch to their upcoming pro line to widen the spectrum and allow you to put a bit more light into your tank - some of your specimens are towards the bottom are fading pigment-wise, but still in good health. http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/orbit-marine-fixtures/orbit-marine-pro/">http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/orbit-marine-fixtures/orbit-marine-pro/</a>

Or you could increase the output of your existing unit a few % higher (looked like it could do so) to see if things respond favorably first. The pro's added "uv" emitters should help with "pop" and the light penetration should be somewhat better. Admittedly in a 20-gallon it's not a lot to ask of a lighting fixture - one of the benefits of a nano.

Don't forget to drop the output of both units somewhat if you choose to do so - it would be a shame to shock your corals given the nice selection you already have stocked.

BulkRate;1027781 wrote: It was a pleasure to meet you face-to-face, Sherri.

Looks pretty good to me for such a young tank. You've got a couple more fish in there than I would so early in, but they seem healthy and your water change schedule's aggressive enough to keep things in OK shape. Give your existing corals some time to fill in the gaps and don;t forget that expo's just around the corner. Lots of good deals or unusual finds to be had there.

Only things I'd recommend would be beefing up your lighting and diversifying your clean-up crew. Since you're already using a current orbit unit, I'd look at adding a second one or switch to their upcoming pro line to widen the spectrum and allow you to put a bit more light into your tank - some of your specimens are towards the bottom are fading pigment-wise, but still in good health. http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/orbit-marine-fixtures/orbit-marine-pro/">http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/orbit-marine-fixtures/orbit-marine-pro/</a>

Or you could increase the output of your existing unit a few % higher (looked like it could do so) to see if things respond favorably first. The pro's added "uv" emitters should help with "pop" and the light penetration should be somewhat better. Admittedly in a 20-gallon it's not a lot to ask of a lighting fixture - one of the benefits of a nano.

Don't forget to drop the output of both units somewhat if you choose to do so - it would be a shame to shock your corals given the nice selection you already have stocked.[/QUOTE]

Wow! Great job and very detailed!

Maybe, when you get some free time you could come by and give me an evaluation on improvements.

Thank you Jeremy!!! It was a pleasure to meet you in person as well!! I feel much better now that someone in the reef world has seen my tank in real life :) At least I know now that everything is not going to die at any moment.

Brett, I was showing Jeremy all the beautiful things I got from you :)
And Dave ( dball ) :)

I will definitely be working on the some more hermits and snails and go from there.

Have you considered a chiton instead of the more typical snail? Online a company called reef cleaners sells them and other algae-preferring critters. Locally some reefers offer them from time to time. locally Atlanta aquarium has them sometimes, too.

Here is a chiton I had, haven't seen him in a while...
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1027844=60909-chilton.jpg
>
1027844=60909-chilton.jpg
class="gc-images" title="chilton.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Back