Finnex M-Tank Build

chemically_balanced

Market
Reaction score
<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">Well I finally got enough money together to get started on my second reef tank. This is a 30 gallon Finnex m-tank with built in refugium and protein skimmer. The lights are 4x24 t5 and the refugium has a 13 watt power compact. I've decided to go with twenty pounds of crushed coral LS and ten pounds of Caribbean sand. I didn't have enough money after the purchase of the tank and sand to get all the live rock I need but I did get one good looking piece from Cap. Bay so I can have something (why not right can't go wrong with mixing cured and uncured). I also picked up some rubble from Imagine Ocean to fill some of the empty spaces and for the refugium.</span></span>
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
12997=890-Corner.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
12997=890-Corner.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Corner.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
12997=888-Front of tankl.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
12997=888-Front of tankl.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Front of tankl.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
12997=891-Refugium.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
12997=891-Refugium.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Refugium.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
12997=889-Side.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
12997=889-Side.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Side.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Looks good. I haven't actually seen a tank with the refugium built in running before. Good luck

Well I was able to purchase some aged and cured LR. So far I have about twenty pounds of LR and about four pounds of LR rubble. I've also installed two more powerheads, one Penguin 550 and one Rio 500. The only other modification I've made was the install of Hydor on the return from the back side of the tank. I originally had some issues with micro bubble from the protein skimmer but like everyone said after about 10 days running the microbubbles have all but disappeared. I also put a Black mollie in the tank about a week ago and when I purchased the LR a Domino Damsel came with the package. I was really hesitant on putting him in the tank since i know he can really be a pest. Hopefully if that is the case I can catch the little guy with out tearing apart all the LR. Anyways here are some pictures. I'll also be building the stand soon and hopefully adding about ten more pounds of good looking LR. I'll keep ya'll posted and hopefully get to meet some of you Tuesday.
14302=942-DSC01243.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
14302=942-DSC01243.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC01243.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
14302=943-DSC01247.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
14302=943-DSC01247.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC01247.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
14302=941-DSC01248.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
14302=941-DSC01248.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC01248.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

right on looks fun! I wanna try a small nano like that! keep us posted!!

Well I got back from work today to find only half my light system working.:eek:

The set-up has two switches one for the 10k and fan and one for the actinics and moon lights. Not really a good set-up because you have to flip the actinic switch to the off position to get the moonlights to come on. If you have it on a timer then the moonlights never come on since they are run through the same powercord:boo: Back to the problem. The 10k switch is on along with the fan, but no 10k lights, only actinics. The fixture is only a month old. I've sent an e-mail to Premium Aquatics and hopefully they will get back with me tomorrow and help me out.

<span style="color: black;">Well after contacting Premium Aquatics they told me I needed to deal with Finnex about the light. So I called Finnex and they agreed to send a new ballast to me to replace the old one. I got it hooked up and everything is working again. Now that I've gone through that head ache I found a new light fixture out on eBay. It's a big upgrade as long as everything works out. I'll post pictures as soon as I receive the HOMBBY fixture and let you guys know what I think about it. I didn't get any posts on my other tread telling me not to buy this fixture....</span>

<span style="color: black;">The next thing I have to worry about are those darn micro bubble from the protein skimmer. I've given the skimmer break in time and adjusted till I didn't think I could adjust it anymore, still I get bubbles. Looks like that will be the next purchase. Somebody help me out if you have a used AquaC Remora you want to let me buy. </span>
19479=1289-DSC01357.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
19479=1289-DSC01357.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC01357.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I found this on nano-reef

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=108867&hl=finnex">http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=108867&hl=finnex</a>

About halfway down they talk about fix for the microbubbles.

I got a new addition to the tank today, an ATO. I think this is really going to help. It came with dual sensors, one for the display and one for the freshwater bucket. Hopefully the new lights will be in this week.
19964=1313-DSC01360.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
19964=1313-DSC01360.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC01360.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
19964=1312-DSC01361.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
19964=1312-DSC01361.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC01361.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
19964=1311-DSC01374.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
19964=1311-DSC01374.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC01374.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Got the new light fixture and the skimmer today and they are now both installed. Everything looks great. The Hobbby fixture, in my opions, is very nice. I'm sure I don't have to tell everyone that the Remora is very nice also. The only problem is even after the skimmer change I'm still getting micro bubbles:bash2: at least they are minimal. Maybe after the break in of the Remora they will go away, and of course I can purchase the bubble catcher for it if all else fails. I'll update pictures of everything this weekend.

abjeeves wrote: <span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">It seems like people are always "jumpy" when it comes to this hobby. "If it ain't working right, I'll just drop $100.00 and buy some equipment to remedy the problem." Unlike most, I used my head when it came to the problem of micro bubbles... all you need to do is add a wad of micro cotton fiber ($3.95) to the center chamber and... poof... no more micro bubbles. I hope that this information helps and that people stop purchasing new protein skimmers and contacting Finnex to order "fix kits" (it's just a sponge instead of micro fiber cotton). Also, it is less expensive and more convenient to use the micro fiber than it is to use the sponge! Return that new protein skimmer you bought, and settle down... try calling a reputable fish store and they would suggest the same.</span></span>

<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">:yay: :fish: </span></span>

Thanks for the information but I really just havn't been happy with the finnex skimmer.

wrote: <span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">Unlike most, I used my head when it came to the problem of micro bubbles... all you need to do is add a wad of micro cotton fiber ($3.95) to the center chamber and... poof... no more micro bubbles</span>

I also thought of this and really just didn't want to bother with the nitrates that can build up with a sponge or the cotton fiber. I don't feel like I've wasted any money buy purchasing a great skimmer like the Remora.

Thanks for your opinion

I just recieved my M-tank. hopefully I can get it looking nice and decide which of my nano's to keep. I do have one gripe already about the whole set up is that there isn't any legs for the fuge lamp. It just seems wierd to me that there aren't any legs on it.

Billy

Frewl wrote: I do have one gripe already about the whole set up is that there isn't any legs for the fuge lamp. It just seems wierd to me that there aren't any legs on it.

I didn't recieve them either. Did you recieve the glass cover for the top of the tank?

I just had to break down the tank to catch the domino. I knew it was a bad idea to put him in when i purchased him with the LR. I thought he and the Maroon would get along, and they did, at first.

Yeah I got the glass lid. I didn't get the microbubble sponges or the adapter kit. I thought one was broke when I got it because they just fit on the front and back and open in the middle.

Billy

Back