Finnex M-Tank Build

Are you wanting the glasstop? I'm not sure that the ramora would fit through the hole for the skimmer But if you want it you can have it. An one thing I found out after playing around with it and getting parts together is that the fan on the light fixture is extreemly loud. I think the blades might be rubbing on something. I got ot call finnex today.

Billy

I feel you with the fan. Mine was really loud too. I replaced the ballast for the fixture and checked the fan out while I had it apart and still couldn't get it to stop making noise. I work in IT so I can probably find you a replacement fan it you would like.

I was thinking about just ripping it apart and seeing if there was a way to put the lights in a custom hood and buy seperate reflectors for each bulb. Since you have already taken it apart does it look like you could rip everything out and retro it into a custom fixture?

Billy

I just finished getting the actual tank out of the box and onto a stand. And I must say right now I'm am in utter frustration over the packing method used. There wasn't enough packing peanuts to really make a difference in the security of the parts within. So I have no idea why they where even put into the box. But take a look where some of the peanuts ended up. take into consideration that you cannot any of the dividers or the refugium itself. All are melded together. Everything even the sump wall is acrylic except for the plumping. so I'm trying to figure out the best way to get those stupid peanuts out of the bottom left hand corner that is under the fuge.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Wow, good luck. Maybe try a coat hanger, very carefully.

The light is a very simple thing to take apart and I would be sure that you can retro it fairly easy. I was thinking about even cutting the moon lights out and putting them on their own power cord so they are useful. I used to make moonlight set-up for my older 75 gallon tank and it's very simple. Just find out what voltage they need buy one of those voltage regulator universal power adaptors and add the two together.

The only issue I can think of about retro-ing some reflectors in would be the extention of the wires running from the ballast. from what I can remember there isn't alot of extra.

I had to take the LR and the corals out of my tank Sunday to get the Domino out. Here are some updated pics.
DSC01444.jpg
alt="" />

DSC01467.jpg
alt="" />

Man there is no love in GA for us. My actinics went out today. My Daylights are on and when I "turn off" the actinics I get the moonlights. I don't know what's up. I guess I got to call them tomorrow to figure out what I need to do.

Frewl... To get the peanuts out couldnt you just fill the area up with water and give it a little shake? Certainly the peanuts will want to float and maybe that will help them get to an area where you can grab them out?
I am just reading this now so you probly already got the little guys out of the back area by now.
:)

yeah. I tried all kinds of stuff. I have an aqualifter and tried the to get them to stick to some airline by running the tubing into the intake side. that didn't work. I finally just barely filled up that chamber and got some 5/8 tubing that I had laying around and had it shoved down into that compartment and blew them out and added more water to float them up the reaturn seaction.

Frewl wrote: Man there is no love in GA for us. My actinics went out today. My Daylights are on and when I "turn off" the actinics I get the moonlights. I don't know what's up. I guess I got to call them tomorrow to figure out what I need to do.

Finnex was pretty easy to work with and they sent me a new ballast. If you need help installing it let me know. It's really not that hard.

Well after the new Bulb and the new Light fixture I've also had to purchase a chiller to help keep everything cool. I would have to say I think I've just about got it dialed in. I just sent the Hydor Koralia back to Hydor for replacement so I'm a little lacking on flow right now, but hopefully everything will be ok and hopefully I recieve my replacement pump soon.

First off the Full Tank shot taken today.
Fulltank3-31-07.jpg
alt="" />
Second is what I would call the money shot for my Reef.
Veritcal.jpg
alt="" />
Third is the spawn.
Frogspawn.jpg
alt="" />
Fourth a good shot of the Montipora's extentions.
CloseMonitoraExtended.jpg
alt="" />
The last shot is of RED in his BTA.
DirectShotOfRedandBTA.jpg
alt="" />

JustOneMoreTank;32442 wrote: Looks really nice. That light looks really blue? Is it like that to the eye or is it just a camera thing?

It's a 250w 14k Pheonix but I also run 130w actinics. The one picture of the Monti cap is with just the actinics on, that's why it looks so blue on that shot. I also am not really good with my camera.

Well I finally got around to starting the stand for my aquarium. Here is what it looks like so far and the measurements for the frame. In the end it should have a 6 inch drawer and two doors on the front side. The interior is measured out so I can fit a 10 gallon tank for my ATO and my chiller inside. The top should have a two inch lip on both the sides and a four inch lip in the front. In the picture you can see the top of the stand. That is what the bottom of the stand looks like also with a 1/2in. piece of plywood on top of it. I'll keep everyone posted to the progress.

DSC01863.jpg
alt="" />
36763=2241-Frame2.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
36763=2241-Frame2.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Frame2.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Perry, nice set up. I hate you for selling me that 10 gallon, I have sunk so much money and time into this thing.

I've get the sides on and the drawer installed. All cased with red oak. I should have everything done by this weekend. Then starts the plumbing.
39708=2399-0505071037.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
39708=2399-0505071037.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="0505071037.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
39708=2398-0505071548b.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
39708=2398-0505071548b.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="0505071548b.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
39708=2397-0505071548c.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
39708=2397-0505071548c.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="0505071548c.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I think I'm getting better at taking pictures thanks to the tips from MattTVI and George's post about dSLR cameras. I used the timer to get some better Macro shots and turned off all the pumps in the tank.
DSC01965.jpg
alt="" />

DSC01968.jpg
alt="" />

DSC01969.jpg
alt="" />

If anyone would like some of this orange Montipora please let me know I have about a two inch frag mounted. It's the one in the top of the top picture. You can also see I have one smaller piece that is infused into the LR and one more piece that's about three inches across but it's not mounted. I'll be keeping both of those.

Ok so it's finally almost done... After all the trouble to make sure the stand was able to fit a 10 gallon tank in the bottom side for the ATO I somehow broke it while moving everything around. If anyone has one they are not using or would like to sell let me know.

DSC02050.jpg
alt="" />

DSC02056.jpg
alt="" />

DSC02057.jpg
alt="" />

DSC02063.jpg
alt="" />

Back