First impression of the Maxspect Gyre

bcavalli

Market
Reaction score
I preordered the Maxspect Gyre and it arrived today. I wanted to share my first impressions on it.

I pulled the four RW8s I had in the 120 DT and placed the Gyre opposite end of my overflow essentially where I had two of the RWs placed near the top of the tank. I have it set on pulsing mode at level three which is similar to my old setup. I haven't had time yet to play with the different modes yet. However, I would say the best part is losing all the wires and power heads I had in the tank. It's a much cleaner look. As I play around with the modes and settings N the next couple of weeks, I'll post the response Im seeing from my coral.

The quality seems to be very solid. It's heavy and takes some muscle (tight tolerance) in adjusting the direction of the flow on the rotors.

IMAG4860.jpg
alt="" /></a>"]
IMAG4860.jpg
alt="" /></a>[/URL]

IMAG4862.jpg
alt="" /></a>"]
IMAG4862.jpg
alt="" /></a>[/URL]

IMAG4866.jpg
alt="" /></a>

ghbrewer;995663 wrote: Sweet, I can't wait to try mine out!

I was just playing around with the power settings and it has some serious power. 3 to 4 is about the maximum I dare crank it up to. Even at that low setting its creating little whirl pools at the other end of the tank. Grant your going to love it!

On a side note I noticed a drop in my (Apex monitored) pH level of about .05 from my normal incline at this time of the day. My ORP decreased as well by 10mV immediately. Which I believe is a reduction in the oxygen levels I maintained with the old RW pumps. The change is equivalent to dosing fuel and either vacuuming or stirring up my sandbed. However, the ORP level it is slowly rebounding so I'll make some adjustments later if it doesn't return to my normal level.

Is that all that's in the tank right now, cause I can see the water movement on the other side of the tank.

You'll see my vortechs for sale on drygoods now! I had the sense that they were going to be good as I remember the one's that Rio brand had in his inventory, I guess after that Coralvue redesigned and as it's now they come back strong

MYREEFCLUB0070;995713 wrote: Is that all that's in the tank right now, cause I can see the water movement on the other side of the tank.

Yes sir! I pulled all 4 of my RWs and only have the Gyre in the tank. It's strong!!

Bcavalli;995744 wrote: I think you know the answer to that question! Lol

Have you ever had Vortechs on that setup? Curious how it compares... the wave action i get in anti-sync is awesome. I would need that to think about switching. :)

Not going to turn this into a vortech argument thread I promise!! :tongue:

joseayes;995732 wrote: You'll see my vortechs for sale on drygoods now! I had the sense that they were going to be good as I remember the one's that Rio brand had in his inventory, I guess after that Coralvue redesigned and as it's now they come back strong

Def gonna be a replacement was watching a flow video on youtube looks very solid.

Looks very cool but I would caution against anyone dumping their vortech's in a knee jerk reaction. Give this thing some time to prove itself first.

dame brett i guess we'll use you as our guinea pig for a while......hehehe
please give us a day to day update and if any issues pop up or down, i hope it works out cause the price isn't to bad to have one unit that creates that much flow in the tank.

Updates for sure. I'd be interested in the smaller one that's supposed to come next to supplement my MP40 in the 60 cube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are these pumps made? I briefly looked at their website and found the manual at another website; but I couldn't find out where they are made?

In my short search, I found this: http://blog.coralvue.com/ctvt-maxspect-gyre-maintenance-troubleshooting/">http://blog.coralvue.com/ctvt-maxspect-gyre-maintenance-troubleshooting/</a> .

Wannabee

tonymission;995769 wrote: Have you ever had Vortechs on that setup? Curious how it compares... the wave action i get in anti-sync is awesome. I would need that to think about switching. :)

No, I wish!

Not going to turn this into a vortech argument thread I promise!! :tongue:

Lol

RedStang;995774 wrote: Looks very cool but I would caution against anyone dumping their vortech's in a knee jerk reaction. Give this thing some time to prove itself first.

The RWs are sitting in bucket soaking just in case. But, so far everything is great. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Lol

MYREEFCLUB0070;995781 said:
dame brett i guess we'll use you as our guinea pig for a while......hehehe
please give us a day to day update and if any issues pop up or down, i hope it works out cause the price isn't to bad to have one unit that creates that much flow in the tank.[/

Going on two days and still running strong. My ORP recovered back to its normal level overnight. I'll keep posting updates.

It does have two safety features. It will shut down automatically if it runs dry or if the propellers become obstructed. I'm wondering if some of the red ring issues people are experiencing are due to sand particles being sucked into the pump.

WannabeeaReefKeeper;995784 wrote: Where are these pumps made? I briefly looked at their website and found the manual at another website; but I couldn't find out where they are made?

In my short search, I found this: http://blog.coralvue.com/ctvt-maxspect-gyre-maintenance-troubleshooting/">http://blog.coralvue.com/ctvt-maxspect-gyre-maintenance-troubleshooting/</a> .

Wannabee[/QUOTE]

Some of the instructions are in Chinese. That probably answers your question. Lol

Back