Flame angle.

jordanbevis

Market
Reaction score
I got one yesterday; he loves the tank acclimated well, parameters all great, but I had to change my filter and today he was swimming around fine till I floated some coral and he started laying down in the sand? His color is great no spots he looks healthy.
31834c9bab8185a4127d13626d6225b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are such beautiful fish... Some are completely reef safe and others are not... :)

Hope you got one of the latter. They are pretty hardy overall and maybe its just a lil stressed out. How is he doing now?

Yes a little bit of heavy breathing. He lays down, then gets up and swims a bit, then lays down again. Is this stress or death? I read before I got him that they get stressed pretty easily but I didn’t think putting in a bag on coral would stress him out that much, lol.

I suspect an ectoparasite.
Did you either quarantine it, or give it any preventative medication, before putting it in the tank?
Lastly, do you run UV?

Gave him preventative meds. Just came home and he was dead I had been watching him at the fish store for a few weeks and he looked great, healthy, always ate, swam. Man. I’m taking him tomorrow to see if they’ll trade him out.

Gave him preventative meds. Just came home and he was dead I had been watching him at the fish store for a few weeks and he looked great, healthy, always ate, swam. Man. I’m taking him tomorrow to see if they’ll trade him out.

Sorry to hear that he died. :(

I also inspected his body, and no cuts or scrapes, just some mucus around the head.

No! Everything’s doing great. I just have a pair of clowns and a royal gramma in there right now :) they are the hardiest fish I have ever owned, lol.

Oops can't edit did you buy the fish from a lfs

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Very sorry for the loss & the fish!

FWIW, some of us prefer to nip the possibility of infection in the bud, by doing a preventative treatment (sometimes called prophylactic treatment, in clinical literature).

The current treatment of choice for ectoparasites is quinine phosphate.

The treatment requires a dedicated hospital tank, bare bottom, preferably with optional pieces of pvc to provide habitat/shellter for the fish which also reduces their stress.
The treatment is suggested to last a minimum of 3 weeks, as I recall.

A least one member here in the ARC has purchased this recently.

I did get him from an lfs. I gave him an anti parasitic but I didn’t do that treatment. It wasn’t a dip per say but more like it. I don’t have room to have a QT unfortunately

So I have a bit of an issue. Lfs won’t refund without a water quality check, which is fine, cause as of last night these were my parameters.
49c6647e1b4765ee14e41e3423dcaf45.jpg
6fdcbe3e5fc25f18685ce0920abb46fd.jpg
64df4047bfda63fea4c2f5f44a3b1c57.jpg
but this morning, after he sat in the tank all night (he was under a rock that was glued down and I couldn’t get to it without light) THESE are my parameters?!!!? Is this even possible!!?
7ff31b97fcc1b3a6fa78f22df939a6f7.jpg
almost postitive with that nitrate level they won’t give store credit, so looks like I’m going to be out $80. This has been a VERY crazy three days with this tank

Yes, 50 ppm of nitrate is possible. For most people, the best way to avoid this is through frequent water changes.
Example: 10% per week, which approaches 40% per month, but not quite due to a dilution factor.
Otherwise, there are methods like carbon dosing, algae scrubbers or denitrification filters.

Well yeah I know that’s possible but it was close to 0ppm last night, and this morning it was 50ppm. I do 30% water changes almost weekly.

I wouldn't expect one dead fish to add that much nitrogen to a tank overnight, but maybe that's possible(?).
How many gallons is this tank?

Back