Flat worms????

w_hartyjr

Market
Reaction score
What and how would treat for a possible flat worm infestation? Cleaned frag tank yesterday,today looks likecflat worms on the front glass

No guarantees, but the more common recommendations are going to be six line, coris, melanurus and pygmy.

Six lines can be jerks. I know mine is. He may be munching on a few. You have to get the population down to a reasonable level. Have you tried flatworm exit?

I've used flatworm exit multiple times but it has never killed all of them

Are you using the standard dose or have you tried upping the dosage?

I never tried to up the dosage past the recommended level. I was always weary of using it in the first place because of the fear for hurting my corals by killing them all too fast

Package says you can up the dose if you're not getting the desired effect. Running carbon in a reactor is almost a must post treatment.

i don't have any means to run carbon but i have always sucked out as many worms with a large water change

flatworm exit will work but you might have to up the dosage a little like ringo said. maybe even just a drop or two extra, it doesn't take much. one thing i have found to help when you are trying to remove them is to have your circulation pump on high while you are treating and during your water change because it helps keep the dead flatworms suspended in the water column so you can catch them if you dont have a pump that you can change the settings on then add a spare pump or two to increase the flow. another handy trick is to use a filter sock placed in front of said circulation pump to catch any that go through it. doing that from right after you start the treatment to right before you do your water change will cut down quite a bit on how many you have to suck out with a hose.

I tried 3 different treatments of FWE and they always seemed to come back, even used double the recommended dose on the last try. Only thing that solved them for me was a malanaurus wrasse from Rit at Atlanta Aquarium. I have a sixline too but he never eats any of the fw's.

Are they on the coral too or just the glass? Not all flatworms are bad, annoying yes.

Melanurus wrasse will do the job. Flatworm exit is another alternative. However, I warn you be careful and follow the instructions on the package and be very very careful. Please don't listen to people when they say it's safe and you won't have ANY problems. I used it several times over the last several years with great success, however one time during a bad infestation I did end up losing several high dollar fish.

I would suggest you get a turkey baster to blow the dead worms off the rocks and a fish net so you can remove as many dead flatworms from the tank after you apply the Flatworm ext. The worms are toxic and will reek on your tank. Like I said follow the instructions and follow the recommended waters changes after use you'll be fine.

Jaycen B.;1044790 wrote: Are they on the coral too or just the glass? Not all flatworms are bad, annoying yes.

As of now I only "see" them on the glass. There clear though not brown or red,like what I find on the internet. I think I'll be looking for a wrasse this weekend. Are there any that are truly reef safe? On yea,no I have not tried flat worm exit and not sure I'm willing to yet!!!!

It also depends on what type of flat worms. Are they the red ones or AEFW? I bought a melanurus wrasse for that purpose and haven't seen a red one since.

These are solid white. The more I read,the less I'm willing to try. The wrasses are "reef safe with caution", the chemicals are even worse when you read the cautions. Right now I have no idea what to do. Not sure what aefw is

Back