Flow rate for Eshopps RS-200 sump

super

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone know the flow rate through the foam block in a Eshopps RS-200 sump? I am having issues with water backing up on the sump side. The sump is a new install so I don’t have a reference point to go by.

I have currently the foam out of the way and everything seems fine other then microbubbles getting through.

Do you have a ball valve or gate valve on your return plumbing? If so, you can adjust it up or down until everything evens out. Just take you time with the adjustmenst, though. It takes the tank some time to find it's balance after adjustments. I usually wait about 15 minutes between adjustments...

If water is rising on the sump side, that either means the overflow is too fast, or the return is too slow.
Hope I don't have that backwards. LOL...

Best of luck, and oh yeah.... I see this is your first post. Welcome aboard!!!

i've got about 3000 gallons/hour running through a foam block. Depends on the size of the block though. You definitely have to keep them clean or they will back up

mph84;851965 wrote: i've got about 3000 gallons/hour running through a foam block. Depends on the size of the block though. You definitely have to keep them clean or they will back up

That must be a big foam block! I just have a mag 9.5 on mine so I'm guessing its well below 900gph. The block is brand new so I'm assuming its clean :)

CedzAquAddiction;851963 wrote:

Best of luck, and oh yeah.... I see this is your first post. Welcome aboard!!!

Thanks for the welcome.

mph84;851998 wrote: its about 18"x4"x4". I'm sure some water gets around it too.

Ok yeah I think mine is more like12x2x4. I guess it'll just take some trial and error with water flow adjustments.

I just assumed if it made it through my single overflow, the sump would easily be able to handle it.

i would think it should handle that kind of flow with no problem! but who knows... I guess like you said just play with it

Any side effects to just removing the foam? Other them microbubles from the skimmer getting into the main pump?

Well I figured I would update this for historical reasons...

The issue was the foam block. Apparently the default foam takes time to get warn in. After a few cleanings, the flow level should increase. The other option which is the one opted for, is to replace that foam with a much courser foam that Eshopps sells. I haven't seen any issues with bubbles with the new foam.

Back