Fox coral question

Jeremey’s reef

Reaction score
Hello everyone does anyone here have any experience keeping fox coral? I purchased one three days ago and I am wondering if I gave it proper placement which is relatively close to the sand and maybe too close to my mp40 which is running at a medium flow rate. I propose this question because it is not fully open in my eyes compared to when I saw it in store. It is however flowing in the current quite nicely.71B447D1-0C72-4242-BB1B-E73F7480A3C3.jpeg

Sometimes you have to play with the flow. I bought a pink bubble coral that wasn’t extending all the way although it was still extending its feeding tentacles quite nicely some of its bubbles weren’t inflating. We reduced the flow to it significantly and it is doing much better. The first picture isn’t as clear because I took it without my new lens filters. The 2nd picture I took this morning. Not sure you’ll be able to tell the difference. EAB2F5E9-E1CB-4054-BFC2-21C14C7F3F39.jpegC7D9E320-443C-48B6-B2D7-B1912EC16CDC.jpeg

Sometimes you have to play with the flow. I bought a pink bubble coral that wasn’t extending all the way although it was still extending its feeding tentacles quite nicely some of its bubbles weren’t inflating. We reduced the flow to it significantly and it is doing much better. The first picture isn’t as clear because I took it without my new lens filters. The 2nd picture I took this morning. Not sure you’ll be able to tell the difference. View attachment 28858View attachment 28859
What a beautiful bubble, However I don’t think I will be playing with the flow. I’m getting ready to do a water change in a matter of minutes and i am thinking of moving some things around. The fox coral was closer to the top of the DT I purchased it from and was under radions

We just added a bunch of new corals yesterday. You may be right with the light. The bubble is on a flattish rock on the floor of my tank because they require low light and flow but if yours (and it is very nice looking as well!) was already acclimated to more light intensity it may indeed just be wanting more of it. Have fun with your water change! We just did a large water change and changed the order of operations in the sump which was a big job. Everything is looking pretty today!

Wow thats an interesting coral...kind of like a cross btwn a mushroom and a candy cane.
I've never seen or even heard of it before.

My guess would be to place it like a candy cane

Wow thats an interesting coral...kind of like a cross btwn a mushroom and a candy cane.
I've never seen or even heard of it before.

My guess would be to place it like a candy cane
It sort of is a cross breed of those 2 coral at least within its appearance. It is a rarely seen LPS coral from my short time in the hobby. Here is a picture of what one looks like fully open 9F94A99B-EEC9-4FA6-83EB-73F5AB4F99A4.jpeg

Yeah. Fox corals aren’t exactly rare... but they’re uncommon and cool! I remember the first one I saw “What the heck is this?”.

Yours don’t look too bad. If it’s flowing in the current, im guessing it’s just tightened up a little bit for that reason. But I’ll let others chime in if they have more experience than I.

And I agree; I closely group them with bubble corals in terms of biology and treatment.

Yeah. Fox corals aren’t exactly rare... but they’re uncommon and cool! I remember the first one I saw “What the heck is this?”.

Yours don’t look too bad. If it’s flowing in the current, im guessing it’s just tightened up a little bit for that reason. But I’ll let others chime in if they have more experience than I.

And I agree; I closely group them with bubble corals in terms of biology and treatment.
I had the same what the heck reaction when I first saw them

ive wanted a fox coral but every time i look i cant find one

Back