Frag Tank

william1

Market
Reaction score
So here are a couple of photos I just started the canopy today still have to put some skin on it and some trim but a start is a start. You can see the scratches in the front panel of plexi but they are minumum I have to pick up a scratch remover kit for that. I am going to intall a closed loop system and have 2 returns on each side for water flow and the return from the refugium on the back and a refugium/skimmer under the tank in the stand. Still keeping my eyes open for a few items skimmer, refugium tank,ect... But I am taking my time theres no rush....
cimg1727pw9.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg1728tq6.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg1729pr0.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg1730ey2.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg1731hz0.jpg
alt="" /></a>

The reflector host a 400 watt reflux bulb on a dimmable ballast. The cube is 40 gallons and it was from a fellow reefer.

Well with the dimmable ballast I should be able to adjust the light a little run it a little lower. Hopefully a little less heat, I am looking for a chiller LOL. I havent even talked my wife into where we will put it SSSHHHH. And a few fans should do the trick.

with a good sized fan it should be fine , i have a similar setup but its a 60 cube. Have you thought about plumbing it into your display tank?

nice work man ....wow you have really taken a leap into this hobby lol ...looks great

chrisjet;188593 wrote: with a good sized fan it should be fine , i have a similar setup but its a 60 cube. Have you thought about plumbing it into your display tank?

I have thought about plumbing them together but dont have the room. But if I owned this house it would be on. Ya Victor after seeing everyone build there own Ithought what the hell I can too.

True I will have to check those fans out they might just work! I might be able to install the fan in the side if the canopy. I will have to get a par meter for this one. I think it should work out great for a frag tank hopefully have it running in a couple months still waiting for the tax returns I filed an extention :(......

I have heard good things about the reflectors and that the light is more focused striaght down and not spread out. Thats why I thought the cube would work perfect. And I wanted a 12" deep tank before until the heat factor came in to play. I was thinking about mounting two fans in the stand as well facing the refugium...

Thanks chris. I cant wait to finish it I just have to find a place to put it.... I'm gonna try and start the stand this weekend.

I'm with dawgdude on this one - you're gonna cook that tank with a 400watt light in that reflector... it's seriously overkill. I'd look at a 250w or even a 175w on that sized tank...

Only time will tell. I really think it will work out. The top of the canopy will be open with two output fans and there will be two input fans like larger fans not computer fans. And there will be a couple fans built in the stand for nice air flow in and out. Small chiller everything should be fine its gonna be a bare bottom tank with a couple frag racks and tons of flow 1 or 2 fish. I still have to build an overflow and plum in some extra bulkheads for the closed loop system and return.

WILLIAM1;188824 wrote: I still have to build an overflow and plum in some extra bulkheads for the closed loop system and return.

plum_early_rimer_mine_small.jpg
alt="" />

Fruit for bulkheads? So that's your secret to cooling... :crazy:

Seriously, hope it works out. I still think it's overkill, but if it works for you, go for it. I'd highly suggest a temperature cutoff for those lights in case a chiller, fan, etc, stops working and you boil your water in 30 seconds...

Ya I still have to work out some details but should be good to go. If the 400 watt turns out to be to much it will be a quick change to a 250 or 175.

Ok so heres the update on the stand build. Just finished it tonight with a late night run to HD they should really stock bulk heads. ****.....The top is ready to be finished now as well as the bottom working out a filter system for the bottom. Oh ya my little helper cant forget her she my little aqua girl......
cimg1748sw1.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg1747uz6.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg1745edited1tn2.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg1749vu9.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Thats what Im hoping never built my own stand or canopy before... Not to bad I will have to barrow a few more tools but I will get it one... I have been doing some reading on BB tanks and think that my drain will be on the bottom to help with any debre in the tank so it gets filtered more easily...

WILLIAM1;189074 wrote:
cimg1745edited1tn2.jpg
alt="" /></a>

I'm calling DFACS as we speak...:lol2: . Geez Will, you mean business with that frag tank, huh? DEFINITELY dim that beyotch down. You'll have some serious recoil on that.

I know Jeremy Im gonna start it off at the minumum... Its like a small nuclear reactor huh. I dont usually call DFACS until the second or third beer. But shes already in reef tank anonymos.

That looks like a CoralVue LumenBright relflector. These things are awsome. I have two of the LB Mini Pendants with CV 250 watt ballasts with 12K Reeflux bulbs arriving tomorrow.

I suggest you read this thread, as those reflectors are so efficient that you want to start them out about 16" above the water with a photoperiod of about 4 hours, then increase that every week by 30 minutes. That thread is very educational, and there are a lot of very experienced reefers comments on it, like Marc Levenson and our own glxtrix.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1384067">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1384067</a>

Here is an article from the current Reefkeeping online magazine regarding these reflectors.

[IMG]http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-06/review/index.php">http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-06/review/index.php</a>

I ordered mine from Reef Specialty, and I originally ordered two 400 watt dimmables like yours for my Oceanic 120 (48 x 24 x 24), and Mike, the owner, called me and talked me out of it and into the 250s, which cost less, because he said I would need to have the reflectors up so high it would be a waste, and that there is a huge potential for cooking the corals with a tank 25" deep, and if yours is a 40 gallon cube, then it is probably 22" on a side. Even shorter than mine.

If you are going to do this, then at the least you really should make your reflector height adjustable up and down so you can at least get 16-20" from the bulb to the water. I'll be starting with a 4 hour photoperiod and probably not going much past 6 hours when all is said and done. And I already have two 250 watt HQis on my tank with a bunch of SPS, but these reflectors are supposed to be so good that you can kill stuff if you are not careful. The operative message from Mike at Reef Specialty is to proceed slowly and with caution. Great customer service. He is going to mentor me on the acclimation of my 120 to these reflectors.

Good luck.
Dave

Back