Frag Tank

I amgoing to make like a riser fro underneath the canopy to start off. And lower it as the weeks go on... I am very excited about the light never used MH lights before and cant wait. Its still going to be a few months before its all ready.. Im getting ready to start the closed loop system with a SCWD and a mag 9 maybe Sam at aqua buys said that he ran a 900gph pump on his tank....

So I finally poloished the scratches out of the front of the tank and I am starting to drill the holes and install the bulkheads for the overflow and closed loop system. I will post some pics soon.

So I went to HD today and picked up a few fittings for the frag tank and did some more work to it. Got all the bulkheads in for the closed loop system and overflow+return.

I decided on an overflow that I kinda designed off some others that Ive seen. I drilled holes in the top of the overflow as seen in the pic. If these holes get clogged the water will then run over into the drain threw the grated area.

As for the closed loop system the intake for that is at the bottom and will return threw a SCWD into the top of the tank on each side. As seen in the pic below.

Ive yet to work out the sump yet but will end up using a walmart rubbermade tub about 15 gallons. Or I might want to DIY a 5 gallon bucket with some frag rack material.. But here are the updated pics....
cimg2020uh4.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg2021jg0.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg2025mx2.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg2022gw0.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg2023vc8.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg2024dz5.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg2027uy2.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg2028jn0.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg2034is2.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg2035ci6.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg2037pd4.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg2038zy8.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg2040wj8.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg2039jc0.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Ya you will have stop by and see it. Im getting ready to put on the sides but I need a skill saw for some hole cutting. and some trim.... Still need 1 more pump for the return and Im getting a mag9 from someone just need one more mag pump and some fans ect. But where close man real close.

Tank looks great and the bully you have in one of those pictures is awesome. I love bullies.

So here we go again another stop @ HD for some more supplys. I just calked and sealed the inside of the stand and got some side panels on. I going to do all the trim next week when I get my miter saw, and start to put the canopy together. I might be able to do a test run today maybe with a some tap water. I will cross my fingers...... But here are the updated pics.

I really have to give everyone that has ever built a tank stand and canopy alot of credit its not that easy. But thanks to all the people with previous post I was able to put together a great plan and ideas.

cimg2070lw6.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg2071aq2.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg2074zu5.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg2076ap6.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg2075ti8.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg2077pu9.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg2078hu8.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg2080pq2.jpg
alt="" /></a>
cimg2081iw9.jpg
alt="" /></a>

William my boi!! Why have I never seen this thread yet? That builds awsome! way ta go!

looking good. I like this build. You definetly put some work into that stand if you cut that framing all by hand. 400w over 40g is going to be insane

Closed loop is ready and works might I add! Im going to change the return pipes from the closed loop inside the tank. There doesnt seem like enough flow from both of them. There on a mag9 so I thought there would be more. I still might go with the SCWD or just do some sort of spray bar in the closed loop but it all ads up to $$$. I still have not tested the drain but I dont think it will be a problem. The only problem is going to be talking my wife into a place to put it. I cant wait to fire up that 400 watt bulb soon real soon. I think it will be done in about 3 weeks or so.

Just seems weak when its split and pushed threw a 1'' pvc pipe. I was thinking of caping the ends and drilling some holes for a couple of spray bars. Or get a couple of reducers for the ends of the loop return thus forcing the water out with a little more valocity.

FWIW, mags run externally ahve a propensity to leak. If you are going to upgrade, get an external like a blueline or something.

If I decide to upgrade it will be 1 pump running both the closed loop and the sump return. I run a mag12 externally on my 90 with not 1 problem. We will have to see what happens. I did a small test run with some fresh water and everything went good. Im so ezcited I wish it was already done.

Back