Fuel vs Acropower

Kirkwood;949889 wrote: fyi - they say Acro should be dosed at peak light cycle...

That's what i hear. I dose fuel at 6ish daily now, os im going to continue with that.

Acroholic;949883 wrote: Acropower doesn't need refrigeration vs Fuel that does. Not sure if it makes any difference other than AP can be dosed easily via a pump. I do my AP this way.

Fuel is a neon yellow.. It fluoresces under actinic lighting... It also has a urine/vitamen stench... Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) is the largest ingredient in Fuel, which I assume plays a part in the color and odor???

hear AcroPower is clear with little/no odor... does it have Vit C?

Kirkwood;949891 wrote: Fuel is a neon yellow.. It fluoresces under actinic lighting... It also has a urine/vitamen stench... Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) is the largest ingredient in Fuel, which I assume plays a part in the color and odor???

I'll agree.. that stuff stinks ha

Kirkwood;949891 wrote: Fuel is a neon yellow.. It fluoresces under actinic lighting... It also has a urine/vitamen stench... Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) is the largest ingredient in Fuel, which I assume plays a part in the color and odor???

Yea, Acropower is clear with no noticeable odor. I dosed some on wednesday, and i plan dosing more tonight. I'll post results as i see them.

I think someone needs to send me some so i can test it and report back )

I just ordered my bottle of AcroPower. That means I can finally stop sharing my beer shelf in the fridge with my Fuel.

Acroholic;949669 wrote: I hate trimming my SPS, and the reason is not that I mind fragging them, but my SPS corals have a tendency to have large branches/bodies, but small bases, so many times you try to cut off a small piece, and the entire colony becomes dislodged, creating 5x more work to attempt to reattach it. It has always surprised me they don't encrust a lot, because I have six MP60s providing in-tank flow. My best guess is that the colonies grow pretty well, so there is a good bit of base shading in them, and good competition for available light.

Also, IME, the closer an SPS colony is to another, you will see more branch formation and growth in the direction of the other coral, like a self defense mode. More branches and growth towards the intruder equals more stinging ability if they touch, I guess.

yes, I agree, however, and a few of mine are also extremely dense with branches, i.e. Red Dragon...2 MP 40's in a 90.

..and anytime I do something like a cut, it usually means hours...

I took the red pill today and ordered acro power. I'll try and do a day by day photo thing to document how my sps react .. or IF they react at all

purchased the big container :)

SnowManSnow;950747 wrote: hopefully i won't be documenting the growth of cyano
I think I have seen an increase in visible solids whirling around the tank. Not anything to be alarmed about, and I don't know if it is a result of the acropower, but that is really the only major change I have done regarding nutrient inputs to the tank in months.

I see more dusty looking stuff on the LR, and my mesh filter socks seem to require cleaning more often as well. But no cyano.

As of last night, only two doses, it seems like polyp extension may be a little better. Nothing definitive though. I'm trying to only pay attention to the acros i don't get much PE from to begin with.

Are you guys dosing nightly? Doesn't the bottle say weekly? Or are you doing very small dosages every night? I use to dose seachems aminos...stopped for a while and started with AP a month ago. I also started vodka dosing and stopped gfo. Lots of changes in my tank, lol.

SnowManSnow;950747 wrote: hopefully i won't be documenting the growth of cyano

if you've never dosed aminos before I'd start at like 25% of the recommended daily dose. And increase it ever 2 weeks. If you get cyano cut it back, wait, and then start to build the dose again.

glxtrix;951076 wrote: Are you guys dosing nightly? Doesn't the bottle say weekly? Or are you doing very small dosages every night? I use to dose seachems aminos...stopped for a while and started with AP a month ago. I also started vodka dosing and stopped gfo. Lots of changes in my tank, lol.

Much like everything in this hobby, stable parameters are best. So why have a nutrient source in abundance once a week instead of having it available 7 days a week. After all, many people dose 2part once a day, but we all strive to have dosing pumps operating every hour.

For me I dose 10ml Fuel daily in a heavily stocked SPS 60g. I am getting close to the end of the bottle and have a bottle of AcroPower ready and waiting.

Kirkwood;951080 wrote: if you've never dosed aminos before I'd start at like 25% of the recommended daily dose. And increase it ever 2 weeks. If you get cyano cut it back, wait, and then start to build the dose again.

i have, but they should be out of the system by now

I'm going to do 5ml daily with AP and see how the tank does. I'll gradually increase as I see fit. This is in a 140.

I was reading the directions on my AcroPower yesterday and realized the recommended weekly dose is MUCH lower than that of Fuel... interesting because if it is a comparable level of aminos per dose then that would mean that AcroPower is a much better value...

another question for those that are dosing AP.. directions say to shake well before use... how does this play into effect when you are dosing?

Recommended dosing by manufacturer:
AcroPower - 5ml/25gal 1 x week
Fuel - 10ml/40gal 2 x week

So that equates to 0.2ml/gal/week of AP and 0.5ml/gal/week of Fuel. Pretty big difference for products that cost about the same and claim to do the same thing.

Back