Gettin Dirty

See if you can find the recipe for dave's reef Napalm.. I think I posted the basic of it before.

Shut down the pumps, hit them with the lye paste and bang.. they melt.
It doesn’t hurt anything else? Does it work on aiptasia?

This is from Dave.

just mixed 1/3 cup Rooto with a liter of RODI, then apply directly on the Palys. Let it sit for about 15 minutes, then start the tank back up. You'll kill a lot initially, then a week to two weeks later, reapply as needed, then repeat. There are fewer and fewer each time.

This was one of the only things I could find, it's when he was talking about nuking palys, but it's the same recipe for aiptasia.

, going to have to stop kicking the lights on for the kids or we will have an algae farm before I can find time to do the big water chang

This is from Dave.

just mixed 1/3 cup Rooto with a liter of RODI, then apply directly on the Palys. Let it sit for about 15 minutes, then start the tank back up. You'll kill a lot initially, then a week to two weeks later, reapply as needed, then repeat. There are fewer and fewer each time.

This was one of the only things I could find, it's when he was talking about nuking palys, but it's the same recipe for aiptasia.

Thank you for digging that up. I'll give it a go with this: https://www.amazon.com/Sodium-Hydro...ild=1&keywords=lye+pure&qid=1613001381&sr=8-6

It sucks when internet info gets lost. A lot of info from the smaller independent sites is starting to drop off the last few years.

Not impressed with the lye/rodi paste. I kept messing with the ratio and never got anything I'd call a paste. Tried using it on one aiptasia and while I'm sure he's dead if there was anything near it they'd hot nuked too. Resorted back to my old way of superglue gel and entombed a few more of them.

Did a big 50% water change. Will do another midweek to wrap up the whole cycle process.

Also up to 3 red emeralds in the tank now. No more mantis sightings, no clicks either. Only pests seem to be a couple small anenomes. Not all looked like aiptasia but they are getting the same treatment.

2nd wave of clean up crew is due to arrive Wednesday. Sticking with only snails and emeralds.

Not impressed with the lye/rodi paste. I kept messing with the ratio and never got anything I'd call a paste. Tried using it on one aiptasia and while I'm sure he's dead if there was anything near it they'd hot nuked too. Resorted back to my old way of superglue gel and entombed a few more of them.

Did a big 50% water change. Will do another midweek to wrap up the whole cycle process.

Also up to 3 red emeralds in the tank now. No more mantis sightings, no clicks either. Only pests seem to be a couple small anenomes. Not all looked like aiptasia but they are getting the same treatment.

2nd wave of clean up crew is due to arrive Wednesday. Sticking with only snails and emeralds.
Well dang, I'm sorry!!

Dave always swore by it I wish it was lost in the great purge. There most likely something that was missed (by me relaying the message) that we didn't get squared.

Thank you for digging that up. I'll give it a go with this: https://www.amazon.com/Sodium-Hydro...ild=1&keywords=lye+pure&qid=1613001381&sr=8-6

It sucks when internet info gets lost. A lot of info from the smaller independent sites is starting to drop off the last few years.
Be careful with the sodium hydroxide. It gets real hot when mixed with water, melt plastic hot.

Also 283 grams mixed with a gallon of rodi is the same alk increase as soda ash with 2 part but with a much bigger pH boost. Mix in a glass jug and add it slow. I added to much once and it caramelized on the bottom of the jug. Tinged the whole batch brown.

Where did you get the Florida rock from? Tampa Bay Saltwater stopped selling. I got some from them 4 and 5 years ago, and I'm adding a tank soon and want to go for more Florida rock again, but need a new supplier.

Gulf Live Rock. Shipping was very quick, packaging was good to go.

I gotta plug live-plants.com as well. Tiny outdated website but holy smokes, fantastic prices on clean up crew and great packaging.

Added clowns from @Cook on Saturday so we are officially reefin'. Nitrates are down between 2-5, chaeto at least quintupled in size so it is doing well and we should be in cruise mode through the fish-in phase. Tons of life is coming out now, lots of banded brittle stars, a few small brown brain corals survived, a bright red encrusting coral with small red polyps, a red brittle star. I'll try to get some updated pictures up this week. Also not sure how I lived without an ATO back in the day. Tunze with a 10g reservoir is awesome.

Other news the mantis twins are absolute pigs, cannot keep ceriths or nassaurious in their 13.5 fluval at all. They are getting bold and easier to spot them hanging out of their holes now.

Need to get that ballast replaced but that single 250w has some reach. The fluval is gonna be tough to clean. Might just go the easy route and toss some more rocks in with a few more macros.
20210224_124541.jpg20210224_124859.jpg20210224_124819.jpg20210224_124951.jpg

Did you get the yellow tang before prices skyrocketed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a biota tang purchased post ban. $150 +the ride. I've made it a point to do as much aquaculture/captive bred as possible in this so I look at the brightside of it was only a $50 increase as they were $100 preban. I try not to think about the fact it was a ~$200 yellow tang. Those clowns are from @Cook, the azure and two yellow watchman gobies are from ORA. Corals are all club grown frags, with the exception of one frogspawn and a trachy.

Only wildcaught stuff in the tank aside from clean up crew and trachy is a lemon meringue wrasse, and tomini tang.

I should probably do an actual build thread here and reef2reef and push the all aquaculture/captive bred point more, fairly proud of how it's coming along.

Still hunting some blue digitata and purple cap.

Back