Gettin Dirty

Thanks guys. Growth has been really good with birdsnest, pocillopora, stylo, purple nana, and all the Monti.

I changed the reflectors out from a bimini sun compact style to a large format style and while I'm unsure of PAR I know it went way up. I nearly bleached a joes rainbow nub to white, the larger frag is looking pale. The big starry night colony looks a bit to hard hit as well. I moved the nub of Joe's Rainbow to the sandbed and it is coloring up just within 72hrs or so. May move the larger piece to mid slope. Don't know a good spot for the starry night or what to replace it with.

In the same week or two post reflector swap my Alk consumption started soaring to the point that I thought maybe my Hannah was wrong bevause the drop happened so quickly so I held my AFR dosage steady at 15-18ml. Then did a waterchange and checked the Alk in the new water and it checked within expected parameters so my Alk had crashed to 6.3 from 8.5. Been a fun adventure but dosing 25ml of AFR up from a 15ml dose. Holding around 9 on Alk now after the water change and increasing dosages. Hand dosing still, have a jebao just haven't had time to hook it up.

Zoas look pissed still. Not sure if it was the Alk swing or light increase but the eagle eyes and AOI only open 75%. LPS is all growing good.

Last edited:
Holy smokes its been a minute. Things are cruising along well. I cannot keep Trachys alive which really suck as they are my amongst my favorite. One was fine for months then was gone within two days. I put in a new one and it was gone in a day. I suspect it is predation but I do not from what.

I had a rogue limpet of all things develop a taste for blasto and acan lords around November. Found the booger on top of them one morning after watching them loose tissue for weeks. The rainbow acan is still rough but coming back. The blast is fully recovered. Limpet is in sump jail, anyone want trigger food?

Otherwise things are on cruise control, as low maintainence as you could ever hope a SPS heavy mixed reef to be. Haven't done water changes in a few months. Other than some bubble algae that came in on candy canes from @..... I won't do it but you know who you are lol. I saw it and got to busy so it's here but nothing to bad. Emeralds keep it maintained and just at the bottom near the sand bed.

Picture time: just got done regluing stuff. My purple nan dpent two weeks behind the rock work and some other things were victim to urchin and turbo bulldozers. Fish were all camera shy but still at zero loses post acclimation. Heavily considering a Biota royal gramma and mandarin.

Attachments

• 20220116_150452.jpg
    20220116_150452.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220116_150448.jpg
    20220116_150448.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220116_150444.jpg
    20220116_150444.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Thanks. Growth could be better but I've been less than diligent with alkalinity checks. It's hitting a stride now. Finally getting growth on the green slimer and green digitata.

Was cruising so nicely then I got stupid. Dipped out for two weeks over Christmas and my top off failed in the off position. Salinity was off the charts, sump refugium was death, waterline was 6" below. Casualties were pretty limited, just a starry night, joes rainbow and green birds nest. My purple Nan and Cali tort are browned out.

Rbta are awful pests. I have a biocube that refuses to stabilize that I'm going to do a clown and nem build but for the moment that are destroying my green slider on the top right.

Orange plate and seasons greetings are pretty big but the candy canes cover them up.

20230205_172711.jpg

I set up a 55 gallon with live rock took it down in 4 months cause it had gorilla crabs and a shi**** load of flat worms and spider mites

I set up a 55 gallon with live rock took it down in 4 months cause it had gorilla crabs and a shi**** load of flat worms and spider mites
Don't know what spider mites are but flat worms tend to work themselves out. I had to fish out a gorilla crab and two mantis shrimp but I just like the diversity and ease of the old way still.

Yeah, zoa spiders. I've seen those. Never seen or heard of them coming in on rock though.

Need to get some better pictures but the LEDs are up. They are mounted from the front for now. I'll do some canopy surgery this weekend.
20230227_193903.jpg
20230227_193931.jpg

Back