Getting Koi Pond ready for Winter

raz0945

Supporting
Reaction score
Is it better to turn your waterfall off or better to leave it on for circulation in our area? We have a Luguna waterfall & pump 4200gph. Our pond is 8x16x3 feet, it has 15 Koi(7 are 22"-30") and some pond lilies and one lotus. I am worried they will not have enough oxygen. Thanks, Holley:fish:

In really warm water, proper oxygenation is more important than cool water. In warm water, all the molecules are moving faster and oxygen can be pushed out a lot easier

When I had mine up I always turned it off. As long as its deep enough where it doesn't freeze the fish

Holley, There is no reason to turn off the water fall, leave it going year round. In the event that we receive a very hard freeze the added water flow will help prevent the surface from freezing over solid, this what you want to avoid.

As far as the Lilies and Lotus are concerned, if lilies are of the tropical varieties they need to be removed from the pond and winterized in a green house or garage to prevent them from freezing. This would apply to the Lotus also. You can store them in large plastic bags to prevent them from drying out over the winter.

Hope this helps, just reach out if you have any more questions.

Dennis

Never turn them off in the winter. My business has been building ponds for 20 years and service them and we never turn them off unless there is cause for a ice build up blocking flow.

We keep our waterfalls, and the little stream, running all year in our ponds. The pond rarely freezes anyhow, and the warm Georgia winters allows us to sit outside and enjoy the pond and waterfalls year round.

We do stop feeding the fish, and won't restart until the water warms up in the spring. Been following this schedule for years and we have never had any problems - and the fish seem fat and happy.

Back