Getting siphon started on sump

gordob

Market
Reaction score
I finally finished building my own sump, and got everything set up under and on the tank, but I ran into a snag that I can't figure out. My tank isn't drilled, so I had to use an overflow box with a u-tube. The problem is that I can't get the siphon to start. Can anyone please give me their thoughts or insight on this?

Thanks,
Brad

Gordo, is the tank already filled w/ creatures or are you trying to do a test run?

The easy way is get an aqualifter and run the intake tube into the siphon tube. A cheap way is to put some flexible air tubing and suck out all the air out of the siphon tube. Just make sure that you have water to pull up on both sides of the tube. if this doesn't make sense my excuse is that I haven't slept yet.

Make sure you water level is high enought to start the overflow. Which overflow system are you using?

I agree with Billy- I would drill a small hole at the top of the U tube, and insert a 1/16" fitting at the top of the hole. I'd then attach one end of a length of airtubing to the fitting and the other end to the aqualifter pump. I'd leave the aqualifter pump running 24/7 to make sure the siphon never breaks.

Yikes! I would NOT drill a hole in your U Tube! Make sure that the tank is full and has filled up the Overflow box on the tank's side. Also you want water in the box that is hanging on outside of the tank. Put the U Tube in connecting the sides of the overflow box and using a piece of airline tubing temporarily placed inside the U tube from either end of the U Tube suck really hard and get all of the air out. Once all the air is out of the U Tube it will flow all of the water out of the tank and into the outside box and down into the sump. It will stop flowing when the water level in the tank reaches the edge of the overflow box. The U Tube will "stay primed" as long as air doesnt sneek into the U Tube (there for no holes in the U Tube please)Let us know if I only confused you more. Some else might explain it better. :)

Ooops you need slightly more water in the tank than exactly at the top of the overflow box. It depends on how much room for water you have in your sump. Is it a big one??? You need to keep the overflow box full of water while you are sucking the air out of the U Tube. You want to draw all of the air out of the U Tube and make sure that it is being replaced with water in both sides of the Overflow Box. It sounds complicated but it is not really. You might need to pour water in the back side/outside portion of the box as you are sucking the air out of the U Tube with the silicone or vinyl airline.My work computer will not let me edit my previous post.

That's what they've done w/ this product.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
43453=2602-lg_rd_790065_24644D.jpg
>
43453=2602-lg_rd_790065_24644D.jpg
class="gc-images" title="lg_rd_790065_24644D.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

that is what i am running on mine, just come in from the back box with a piece of air line tubing, insert the airline tubing into the air pocket and continue sucking out the air till the water starts forcing the air out and down to the return for the sump

also make sure that both boxes are completly full of water only takes a few seconds and u will be up and flowing

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies!! I haven't been able to check this all day, so I'm reading through the replies now. I really don't know what brand of overflow box I'm using. I only have the outer box, which I bought from Billy, and I rigged it up with a specimen container on the inside of the tank (which I cut teeth into with my Dremel). From my little experience with overflow boxes, this is the only kind I've actually seen (aside from pictures on-line). I think it is the most basic overflow there is. I hope that helps.

Back to reading the rest of the replies......

Brad

By the way, it's a sump I made from a 10 gallon tank and my main tank is a 44 gallon flat back hex.

So, I'm getting mixed opinions on whether to drill into the u-tube or not. What is the general consensus?

Thanks for all the great input!!!!
Brad

Dont drill the tube, say u fix the hole were u drill what happens when that one day at work and it starts leaking air n to the tube, then u loose prime n depending on the return from the sump how deep it is n how your sump is set up u end up with water on the floor, dont do that just use a little piece of air line n it works fine

Sorry Matt, I didn't answer your question. The tank is stocked and has been running for a little over 2 years now.

depens on how it is set up n where your walls are n your sump, can u take a pic, maybe i can help then everyone does theres a little diff, n mine is really simple and cheap, got bills, just depends on your walls n where your supply to sump and delivery to tank goes n and out

It'a hard to say how low your sump level should be. You will need to do a few test to see how much water the display will handle before the overflow starts up again.

Yeah, I already ended up with water on the floor when I unplugged it the first time. Water started siphoning into the sump from the output pipes. I'll try to take a few pics in a little while.

Thanks again,
Brad

Back