Good photo preiod for a clam.....

dakota9

Market
Reaction score
I just got my clam in the last group buy from Fraggle Rock. I want to standardize my photo period with a timer I got from Mitch. I have a 250 watt MH that the clam is directly under, with 130 watt actinics. That actinics run about 12 to 14 hours a day. What is enough light for the clam but not so much light my tank turns green?

What photo periods do you guys use for your clams?

Thanks

I have my actinics on for 12 hours, and the rest of my T5 bulbs on for 9. So far (3+ months) my maxima has been thriving on my sandbed.

Since I got my Solaris, I can't really say what my photo period is because it's seasonal, but I used to run my MH 7 or 8 hours a day with the clam with no problems.

Clams love light. If fact they are the one thing we keep that you basically can't oversaturate so i would run it as long as you can for the clam. now balancing this withthe rest of the inhabitents and the electric bill they should do fine on a "normal photoperiod" of 7-10 hours of MH.

dawgdude;71687 wrote: Ya know what would be really cool is if someone with a solaris figured up what the photo period is that the solaris uses so everyone else could adjust their timers to match.
There's a length of longest and length of shortest day setting, but I assume the progression between is based on stuff you can get out of an almanac or online. Find the sunrise sunset info for a tropical location (on the water) and you're getting the same thing. The only other way I can vary it is I can set what hemisphere I'm in.

Granted there are a mountain of other manual settings I haven't delved into yet.

The two *really* cool things are the cloudy day/night effects and watching the lamp do a sunset (I'm too lazy to be up for sunrise until winter comes around).

My take on photo period for a clam...

Just a little light right before he goes in the chowder!

kwl1763;71689 wrote: Clams love light. If fact they are the one thing we keep that you basically can't oversaturate so i would run it as long as you can for the clam. now balancing this withthe rest of the inhabitents and the electric bill they should do fine on a "normal photoperiod" of 7-10 hours of MH.

absolutely agreed.

Back