Got Unused Equipment Taking Up Space?

globalbutterfly

Supporting
Reaction score
Saw this post on the ARC FB group. Basically a teacher got a grant to set up a saltwater tank, she had help setting it up, but the equipment she was either given or bought is right out of the 80’s or 90’s. Naturally the tank is struggling.

It’s a 55gal, she’s running an underground filter with a HOB filter with some bio media and no power heads. Shockingly, it hasn’t gone as well as one would hope.

I’m just thinking that among all the ARC members, some of us might have some old, used gear sitting on a shelf or in a box that obsolete as it is for us, would make a huge difference for her and her class.

Here’s my quick list of what I thought she might need that WE might have laying around:
1. Sump - maybe that really ugly, but functional DIY one you made that’s now sitting on a shelf full of dust or old filter socks
2. HOB siphon overflow
3. Return pump (internal)
4. Power heads - maybe one of the extra, extra Hydors or Jeabos we all hoard and have laying around.
5. Skimmer - she’s running nothing, so that old one that is way underpowered for your tank and generations old, is still better than nothing.

Feel free to add anything I’ve not thought of or you think would be better.

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/grou..._follow&notif_id=1557753469118671&ref=m_notif

A number of us donated items to a teacher last year for a classroom tank I assume another one would have a similar outcome

Thank you so much for making this post! Truly appreciate it. I got a great deal over at Premier Aquatics in Kennesaw. I picked up a canister filter and a small powerhead along with some cheato and such. Although, having a sump as well definetly would not hurt, lol. Anything helps! I took all the livestock out today, so at the moment, its stagnant salt water with LR, bristle worms and spaghetti worms! lol. The plan is to keep the tank empty over summer, then get livestock in the fall, that way, it would be like its "re-cycling" and it can have a proper chance to be a successfull reef tank. Also, the things that they sent her were NOT compatible with each other, nor did many of them fit in the tank. There were somewhere around 20 fish at the beginning, one of them being what I thought was a red snapper, and a grunt!!! The teacher really enjoys the colors and teaching opportunity or corals and anemones and such, as that is what she teaches about (Zoology) but, she doesn't have the money for things like skimmers, lights, etc. When I was in her class a few years ago I remember learning just the basics of most things, but when it came to reef creatures, ocean things, etc. She was very in depth, and this class is what truly got me into salt water! She didn't have a tank back then, but if she did I can only imagine how much better we would have learned having the things that we were studying on hand to examine and observe. All of her current students absolutely love the tank and looking at the crabs and fish that are left, to has really enhanced their learning experience, so whatever you guys have to help is welcome :) Also, any tips for me or her (re) setting things up would be greatly appreciated!

I have a brand new waterbox sump that came with my reef 70.2 tank that I am not using as I went with a trident sump. I would be willing to donate it to the teacher’s classroom- but you would have to pick it up at my home in Sandy Springs and I would need some sort of letter that it was donated to a classroom. 29B6A392-46AC-4858-91C3-C7BBC164BB23.jpeg

I have a truck and some free time during the week. I'd be more than happy to pick some of these items up and deliver them if that's something that's needed.

I have one or two extra things lying around just post what’s needed.

I have a brand new waterbox sump that came with my reef 70.2 tank that I am not using as I went with a trident sump. I would be willing to donate it to the teacher’s classroom- but you would have to pick it up at my home in Sandy Springs and I would need some sort of letter that it was donated to a classroom. View attachment 6433
Does that use standard 4” filter socks? If so, I have some used & brand new ones to donate as I went with filter cups.

I have a brand new waterbox sump that came with my reef 70.2 tank that I am not using as I went with a trident sump. I would be willing to donate it to the teacher’s classroom- but you would have to pick it up at my home in Sandy Springs and I would need some sort of letter that it was donated to a classroom. View attachment 6433
We need a like x 5 button somewhere. Super generous of you.

Once the tank gets revamped I'll happily stock it with corals.

Thank you all so much this is all so extremely generous. So far we have power heads, a skimmer, bob overflow, and a sump if it fits! As well as filter socks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a truck and some free time during the week. I'd be more than happy to pick some of these items up and deliver them if that's something that's needed.
Jordan said that the sump will work. Can y’all figure out who is picking it up :)
Thanks!

Jordan said that the sump will work. Can y’all figure out who is picking it up :)
Thanks!

I can come get it! I have a truck too plus you’re only about 30 minutes from me. I will definitely need help setting it up though.

b7ad32be6e5791683cc20240a54eaa59.jpg

She also had an 8 gallon biocube that needed a home for the summer, so I took it and the few hermits and am going to try and make it a sponge tank! Luckily this one has everything I need.

I can come get it! I have a truck too plus you’re only about 30 minutes from me. I will definitely need help setting it up though.

So, I would definitely take up one of the more experienced members for plumbing questions and help. I am sure maybe JCook could help? The sump is pretty straightforward normal setup for plumbing :). Good sized skimmer chamber, pump chamber and double sock section and room for heater etc.... should work fine for the classroom.

Back