Got Unused Equipment Taking Up Space?

@jordanbevis What kind of light do you have on that 55g?

Daytime LEDs those need an upgrade.
f44fc86af42763ef2d0b5e60bf66d745.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of GPH return do you need? I have a few that might work or might be slightly underpowered but better than nothing.

What kind of GPH return do you need? I have a few that might work or might be slightly underpowered but better than nothing.

Ummm what do you all suggest? The sump will be on a small shelf where that bucket on the right is. I don’t have any plumbing for it, I don’t know what to get, haha.
f3989955b0da25cb6386a03c83ab2596.jpg

Man, wish there was someone out there with an internal overflow aka reef ready tank. This thing will be alone almost every weekend and overflow boxes are simply going to fail at some point.

I tend to agree with Nathan. The last thing any teacher needs is a flooded classroom. Having the sump off to the side is less than optimal as well... leaving the water open for kids of any age is a recipe for disaster...

I think some quality filters would do best here honestly.

Ok. The scientific learning opportunity that gorgeous sump could provide is too valuable to pass up for a couple of canisters.

I still have the 57gal reef ready tank that I was originally going to set up. I have the plumbing that I got with it - bought it last year from someone on the old ARC forum. Water tested it, but never set up the plumbing so can’t say that I have everything it needs.

I’ll donate it.
image.jpg

Ok. The scientific learning opportunity that gorgeous sump could provide is too valuable to pass up for a couple of canisters.

I still have the 57gal reef ready tank that I was originally going to set up. I have the plumbing that I got with it - bought it last year from someone on the old ARC forum. Water tested it, but never set up the plumbing so can’t say that I have everything it needs.

I’ll donate it.
View attachment 6507
image.jpg

I’ll donate it.
View attachment 6507

That is extremely generous, and I’d love to take it, but, if we were to get a whole new tank there would need to be a new stand, and new sand, and figuring out what to do with the 55. I’ll talk to the teacher and see what she would like to do.

Looking at your tank picture, I’m guessing it’s 36” long x 18” wide (back to front). If so, exact same dimensions, you could use the same stand (and sand.). I’m also betting you could put the sump below it if you wanted. I think it’s dimensions are 21” long x 18” wide x 15” high.

The dimensions of the tank are 48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 21. I wish it would fit! Haha

No worries. Just wanted to make the offer. Still think you can make the overflow work with the new sump. And I think having the sump where it can be seen is actually better. That’s where so much of the real “science” happens.

No worries. Just wanted to make the offer. Still think you can make the overflow work with the new sump. And I think having the sump where it can be seen is actually better. That’s where so much of the real “science” happens.

Yeah I agree! Have any of you guys seen those overflow boxes that are attachments, but they go in the tank instead of HOB?

If you measure the tank with the overflow, I can make the skeleton of a stand if someone else skins it! Or... (joke) I need a rimless and awesome sump for my... uh... classroom?

Yeah I agree! Have any of you guys seen those overflow boxes that are attachments, but they go in the tank instead of HOB?

I have one rated for 30 gallons, pretty ineffective without an ATO and frequent maintenance of the filter floss. It looks like you're doing a lot to make do with what is in place and a whole community wants to help set this tank up correctly. I would be jumping for joy of how generous people are trying to be. The tank and sump alone would prob sell for about $450-$600 collectively. Along with people willing to help you plumb, typically $80-$120/hour + parts + mileage.

She says that she’d prefer to keep what she has.

Tell her she's cray cray for not taking that offer. You can donate the existing tank and stand to someone in the club. Sand and rocks of course you would just reuse. A stand can be done fairly cost effectively. I'm sure we can incentivise someone to build one if one cannot be found. If you go with the HOB overflow... there is a possibility of losing siphon and having water spill everywhere. With this awesome looking rimless tank you don't have to worry about that and it'll be less maintenance and worry overall.

I need to look through my storage unit but I'm pretty sure I have a skimmer I can donate that will fit that sump. I think I also have a tap water filter which can be used in lieu of a full ro/di system.

Back