Green filamentous algae

Fishlips;976504 wrote: Where did that frag plug come from in the first pic.Is that from your tank.Reason I ask, I bought a frag from a LFS and it had a tiny stran of green algae on it.Didn't think nothing of it, and now im fighting the biggest battle that any reefer could imagine.

this is usually how it starts.

tonymission;976700 wrote: Running GFO?

At this point , was thinking it is bryopisis, On my second week of kent m.Mag level has been at 1800,1900 ppm.I took my gfo off line while lm trying this.At this point, lm seeing no change.

jrhunter0000;976707 wrote: this is usually how it starts.

Thats how it gose. I went 8 yrs , NEVER seen HA or Bryopsis in my tank.I have a new-b that wants to my some frags out of my tank.He dose not realize what would happen if he took 1 of my frags home.I would never let it happen.But it happened to me.The damage it can do to a reefer.It knocks some right out of the hobby.I know fighting now.

JC_k;976606 wrote: Why don't you set them up? And 60cube would be a god little tank...lol

It's aaaaaalmost ready. Gotta take the back of the stand off and about an inch off of both of the back supports inside the stand to get my MRC sump in there.. Lol.. And a couple,other things still needed. Like a spot to put the tank...

FWIW I think I could beat it if I really tried. It's dying off already since I ditched the halides

Fishlips;976698 wrote: I have Mexican turbos in there.They would have to eat non stop for a month to put a a dent in it

How long have you had the turbos for? I noticed they don't live long term for me.

They usually last a yr or so depending on the temp, in my case.I hear they don't like high temps.

Fishlips;976735 wrote: At this point , was thinking it is bryopisis, On my second week of kent m.Mag level has been at 1800,1900 ppm.I took my gfo off line while lm trying this.At this point, lm seeing no change.

Oh, yeah... That was you. I hear that tech m technique can take awhile with bryopsis but good luck!

Thanks, I will win this battle, but dont know how long it will take.

Hey Josh,
This algae has been on a frag in my QT for 3 weeks and hasn't changed. I hated to pull it off but couldn't get a pic... It sure looks like yours but it hasn't grown a bit!

0d4b68bf6e3ba79447237d98b433fbd6_zps58da38a9.jpg
alt="" />

Actually I should tell the entire history. I set up the QT about 2 weeks before I got some frags. I used established filter media, LR and most water came from my tanks WC.
So the QT tank was also cycling in the beginning.

I can't tell you what it is Debbie but it doesn't seem to be the usual variety of GHA. I wish some present or past (ahem.. JennM) store owners would pipe up who have years of experience under their belt.

Because I'm sure that's where the real answer between GHA and Bryopsis lies

However if it's not spreading then get it while you can! I don't see the harm in manual removal, it's going to reproduce either way

Agree, this was all I've seen of it. It's not going in my DT for awhile, I'm paranoid!
Maybe we can run that wealth of knowledge woman down, lol

I heard my name in vain?

What was the question? What the specie of algae is? If so, I don't know.

It's algae. It all sprouts for the same reasons. It has food, and light. The solution to it is manual removal and correcting the over-abundance of nutrients (since you can't really do away with light).

Some kinds (ie Bryopsis) are harder to ditch than others, but that's the way to get rid of it.

Algae do not have roots, stems or leaves, flowers or seeds. That is what makes them different from 'plants'. They have rhizoids and rhizomes that can attach them to surfaces, but they are not roots.

Jenn

Algae do not have roots, stems or leaves, flowers or seeds. That is what makes them different from 'plants'. They have rhizoids and rhizomes that can attach them to surfaces, but they are not roots.

Interesting! I learned something new... Rhizomes are also on many flowers, some of my favorites :)

Well Josh you knew that without a high power microscope and laboratory "no one" can honestly give the answer, only guess!
IMO there is algae that looks very similar to bryopsis but isn't. I think the best guess comes with the speed of its growth!

JennM;976939 wrote: I heard my name in vain?

What was the question? What the specie of algae is? If so, I don't know.

It's algae. It all sprouts for the same reasons. It has food, and light. The solution to it is manual removal and correcting the over-abundance of nutrients (since you can't really do away with light).

Some kinds (ie Bryopsis) are harder to ditch than others, but that's the way to get rid of it.

Jenn

The question is (and I suppose you answered it), should we be able to recognize different types and categories of GHA for different treatment options, and in your experience how have you dealt with the different types of GHA. Have you found it important in all your time in the hobby/industry to recognize different sorts of GHA or is it all the same to you?

Maybe should have stated that clearly, but I guess the answer is the same

Camellia;977311 wrote: Algae do not have roots, stems or leaves, flowers or seeds. That is what makes them different from 'plants'. They have rhizoids and rhizomes that can attach them to surfaces, but they are not roots.

Interesting! I learned something new... Rhizomes are also on many flowers, some of my favorites :)

Well Josh you knew that without a high power microscope and laboratory "no one" can honestly give the answer, only guess!
IMO there is algae that looks very similar to bryopsis but isn't. I think the best guess comes with the speed of its growth!

Unfortunately the average aquarist is not equipped with a microscope! Even for experts I think identification of GHA on a species level is very difficult but on a genus level (Bryopsis, Derbesia, Cladophora, etc) may be possible if we knew more characteristics to look for.

I think many could save their systems from a tank wide Bryopsis episode by removing it from the display while it's still isolated! even if it means taking out rock or coral from the tank. It seems that keeping excess nutrients out of the system is the key to preventing such a situation. I do notice a constant die off of this algae, it actually is going away.

At one point I had red turf algae all over my rocks and after research, diligent water changes, four turbos and lots of patience, I got rid of it.

Any type of algae that is not decorative nor has a purpose in my tank will receive hydrogen peroxide blasting.

Back