Group buy Frag tank Build

kullas

Market
Reaction score
Anyone that got a frag tank in the group buy is welcome to post there build here. I will be building mine here.
A big thanks to @aestheticlibra for the stand and @tonytran509 the acrylic sheeting and @Steve Burton for the acrylic solvent.
Here is a pic of the stand and the aio filter system I'm working on. So far welding the acrylic is going nice20200327_144317.jpg20200404_171425.jpg

Thanks bro, I just haven't had time yet. Ironically, we've been busier than normal for this time of year...not complaining.
I'm going AIO. What're the dimensions of your acrylic pieces? Did you end up going the full 8"?

Thanks bro, I just haven't had time yet. Ironically, we've been busier than normal for this time of year...not complaining.
I'm going AIO. What're the dimensions of your acrylic pieces? Did you end up going the full 8"?
Yep 8" . The front panel is 23"x 8¹/²" and 3 baffles 8"x7¹/⁴". First chamber is 8"x8" for skimmer and heater. Filter section is 8"x3¹/²" flows under baffle to a chamber 8"x5¹/²" over that baffle into the return pump.

Hey the second partition needs to be about 1 1/2" shorter to allow for overflow of the prefilter chamber. If that chamber clogs, the water will spillover the front and side and possibly starve the return pump.

Otherwise looks real good!

Hey the second partition needs to be about 1 1/2" shorter to allow for overflow of the prefilter chamber. If that chamber clogs, the water will spillover the front and side and possibly starve the return pump.

Otherwise looks real good!
Didn't think about that :) probably have to drill holes on the 2nt partition to allow for emergency flow being the acrylic is already welded.

I hate to be Debbi Downer but just a heads up...

the top of the false wall should be just under the li- of the aquarium frame, almost touching (touching is ok). Tank water level will be about 3/8” above the top of the wall of the 1st chamber meaning when running properly your tank water level will be about 1” below the black rim/trim of the tank. Here’s a picture of mine to give you an idea of what I’m talking about.

IMG_3616.JPGIMG_3614.JPG

I hate to be Debbi Downer but just a heads up...

the top of the false wall should be just under the li- of the aquarium frame, almost touching (touching is ok). Tank water level will be about 3/8” above the top of the wall of the 1st chamber meaning when running properly your tank water level will be about 1” below the black rim/trim of the tank. Here’s a picture of mine to give you an idea of what I’m talking about.

View attachment 21353View attachment 21354
So far the faults wall is 3/16 from the top lip of the tank. The 1st chamber is just a little under the lower section of the weir. (I added a cut out for emergency overflow just incase the filter clogs). The one thing I did notice is the baffle that sections off the return chamber was the same height as the first baffle giving me the same water level across the entire thing. To fix that I added a 1" drop cutout giving me a step down in water.

Back