Hanging kit for new orphek OR3 LED

HSon

Reaction score
just ordered some Orphek OR3 for my tank as supplemental light. So I decided to DIY a hanging kit with track rail in the center my current LED. The new orphek OR3 will be attach to each side.20200822_210124.jpg20200822_210115.jpg20200822_210131.jpg

How are you attaching the OR3 light bars to the outside edges? They come with those pairs of hinged brackets. Ours arrived yesterday. Figuring out how to hang them. About to move the tank to another room soon with more space behind it.

I use a right angle aluminum rail to go across my reafled90 and attached the OR3 to each ends of it. Thats the easiest way I found to do it.Resized_20200825_150509_105657872672610.jpeg

on my other that I built a rectangular frame using the right angle aluminum rail and have my AI 32 in the middle with the OR3 on each side

on my other that I built a rectangular frame using the right angle aluminum rail and have my AI 31 in the middle with the OR3 on each side
That's probably what we are going to do. We have 4 AI 26s to go between the 2 OR3 150cm strips.

If you need assistance just shoot me a text. 4046687112
Will do. Thank you.

Did you use a hack saw to cut the angled aluminum rail or a power tool of some sort? Once we get the lights together we are also need try to figure out how to suspend them over the tank. Ceiling is out (angled/too high to be practical). Needs to be either the wall behind or connected to the stand.

I use a hack saw to cut the rails. And the hanging kit, you can reuse the one from your AI because you can attach the OR3 to the frame itself. Put two screw size 1/4 #20 screws on each ends of the frame (thats the size of the screw the hanging kit screws on to)

Also because you're planning on using 4 AI you should have a couple of cross bar to help with the weight

I use a hack saw to cut the rails. And the hanging kit, you can reuse the one from your AI because you can attach the OR3 to the frame itself. Put two screw size 1/4 #20 screws on each ends of the frame (thats the size of the screw the hanging kit screws on to)
We're actually using an HMS rail currently to support the AI Hydras instead of a hanging kit.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200808_172716.jpg
    MVIMG_20200808_172716.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 23
If that's the case you should see if you can find a way to attach a "cross bar" on each ends so you can attach the OR3 to it.
That way you keep the nice and clean look

The aluminum bar kits (2 each) are about $90. We would need at least 2 kits to mount the 4 lights in between. Thinking we can probably fashion something similar for a lot less $. :)

I think I know how to do it. Tell me what you think about this: You know the attachment you use to connect you AI 26 to the rail, will get 2 more of those attachment but get the one for the larger AI hydra so it would protrude further out from your current setup and attach the OR3 to that.

I'll try piecing things together and can post an update here later. Need to go to Home Depot eventually and get some stuff.

Here's my clone of the design. Using extreme velcro for the Hydras to keep them in place instead of bolts. I'll post another pic when it's done. 59" end to end to match the 150s. 7.5" across for the Hydras.
IMG_20200903_212526.jpg

looks nice, how high are you planning to mount it?
The Hydras are currently about 4" off the top rim of the tank, so about 2" higher for them and the same height for the OR3s below the way they are mounted 90 degrees facing down.

I'm not sure highly you think of BRS but they recommend the Hydras 26 to be mounted 14" above the water line for the best light spread.

Back