Hello! Im new to ATL Area, New Build....

torqued

Market
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I am new to ATL Area as of Jan, and live in Alpharetta. I have been into Salt/Reef tanks since 2004, and have been out of the scene for about 6 years. I am looking to do a new build here, and have already started ordering gear.

Current plan (subject to change) is a 180g mixed reef..

So far all ive purchased is an Apex controller, and a Vertex Alpha 200 skimmer and 40g breeder (likley for sump). Everything else is up in the air at this point.

Thoughts on other gear:

Lighting - 3x Kessil 360we and considering a retro kit to mount two T5s in the canopy for more even distribution of light

Circulation/Flow - Undecided on return pump, and tank flow (considering the Gyre 150 and or Vortechs)

Calc/Alk Dosing - Undecided, I have had my best success keeping it simple with a dual channel doser and 2 part. Ive tried kalk, Calc reactors etc. Still considering dropping the $$ for a nice kalk reactor to use with a top off setup for the primary dosing. I doubt i will need more than that unless/until i get a great deal of SPS soaking up the alk/calc.

Substrate - Reefflakes

Rock - planning to use mostly dry rock (200lbs or so) (ive had pest issues with buying live rock historically + its alot cheaper).

Still undecided on the tank manf. I do not care for the standard "all-glass" overflows, and would prefer a bare tank drilled for a Ghost overflow, but exploring getting a custom build with an external overflow built on....

Stand/Canopy - likely custom built, though I am a very handy wood worker myself, so i may spend the time building them myself

Thats about it for now folks. I look forward to meeting some of you folks in the future!

For my reefing resume, feel free to check out my old 75g tank I had in my last home:
IMG_1898.jpg
alt="" />
Feb-19-2007

Wow what an amazing tank! I'm in Alpharetta as well feel free to pm me and stop by anytime. Warning my system is nothing compared to your old system. I look forward to seeing your new build. :)

Thank you!

Yeah I was into it pretty good back then! Believe it or not, that was my first, and only aquarium i have ever had. I just spend a hell of a long time in research mode before building it, and spent about 3x as much as I should have in the process of refining it over a 5 year period. I learned ALOT during that period, and want to build it the way I want from the start this go around, starting with the tank size and overflow configuration I would have liked :)

Hey welcome to the Atlanta area and the ARC , that's a good looking tank !
Keep an eye open for posts about our next meeting we would love to meet new reefers

Bcavalli;1081320 wrote: Wow what an amazing tank! I'm in Alpharetta as well feel free to pm me and stop by anytime. Warning my system is nothing compared to your old system. I look forward to seeing your new build. :)

+1

Great looking tank!

I live in Cumming, so not to far away either. I am running led/t5 combo using radions. I highly recommend using the supplemental t5s. Especially if your doing sps heavy

LSU_fishFan;1081343 wrote: +1

Great looking tank!

I live in Cumming, so not to far away either. I am running led/t5 combo using radions. I highly recommend using the supplemental t5s. Especially if your doing sps heavy

Yeah I see more folks adding t5 to combat the shading issues. 2 t5s are pretty cheap anyway...

Following along on this one

Got a 180 ( and a 210) in drydock and looking for good ideas
;-)

I will start a build thread once the first equipment arrives! Assuming I custom order the tank, I'm looking at a pretty long build timeline.

Seems like your on a great start. DC return pumps are great. Don't buy sicce I have had so many issues with them not wanting to restart

Wow, great looking tank! I'm in Alpharetta also, let me know if you need an extra set of hands for anything.

jrhunter0000;1081391 wrote: Seems like your on a great start. DC return pumps are great. Don't buy sicce I have had so many issues with them not wanting to restart

Yeah DC returns are new for me. Anyone got a recommendation for a good DC that is controllable via apex? Apparently the ecotechs are not:(. Number one....I want the quietest pump possible...

Torqued;1081406 wrote: Yeah DC returns are new for me. Anyone got a recommendation for a good DC that is controllable via apex? Apparently the ecotechs are not:(. Number one....I want the quietest pump possible...
Jebao 12000 is super quiet and a work horse

welcome to the club! your previous tank was impressive. cant wait to see what you do with this one!

Torqued;1081406 wrote: Yeah DC returns are new for me. Anyone got a recommendation for a good DC that is controllable via apex? Apparently the ecotechs are not:(. Number one....I want the quietest pump possible...

the ecotechs arent controllable via apex yet but given that it uses the same wireless technology that the radions and vortechs use so that it can connect to reeflink which means that it should be as simple as a software update to allow the vectra to connect to the apex via a wxm module.

Tbub1221;1081412 wrote: Jebao 12000 is super quiet and a work horse

Good call... Ordered :)

I Almost got fooled by the DCT 15000.....Apparently that guy is not controllable via Apex, and its cheaper oddly enough!

Back