Hello! Im new to ATL Area, New Build....

Picoreefguy;1081423 wrote: welcome to the club! your previous tank was impressive. cant wait to see what you do with this one!

the ecotechs arent controllable via apex yet but given that it uses the same wireless technology that the radions and vortechs use so that it can connect to reeflink which means that it should be as simple as a software update to allow the vectra to connect to the apex via a wxm module.

Yeah, it is odd they dont support them... That being said, they are also VERY expensive compared to the Jebao as well. The reviews are OK (mainly folks complaining about lack of controlability), but not enough to justify more than double the cost IMO.

Jenn that 180 for sale? :)

Tell you what..... if it sits here empty for 6 more months we'll talk ;-)

I picked mine up from a club sponsor, once or twice a year there is a distributor that does a pretty decent sale. PM and I''ll shoot you the details. The plan is after I get the flooring done is to set the beast up as a peninsula room divider. Then cobble together a DIY version of the Reef Savvy ghost overflow and plumb it down to a sump room in the basement. If I can't get around to making the overflow, there are a couple of people here that can make one as well.

The signature line is from Jenn and is just a quote that I stole, she has a couple of good ones from time to time, if she has had enough coffee ;-)

Sewer Urchin;1081427 wrote: Tell you what..... if it sits here empty for 6 more months we'll talk ;-)

I picked mine up from a club sponsor, once or twice a year there is a distributor that does a pretty decent sale. PM and I''ll shoot you the details. The plan is after I get the flooring done is to set the beast up as a peninsula room divider. Then cobble together a DIY version of the Reef Savvy ghost overflow and plumb it down to a sump room in the basement. If I can't get around to making the overflow, there are a couple of people here that can make one as well.

The signature line is from Jenn and is just a quote that I stole, she has a couple of good ones from time to time, if she has had enough coffee ;-)

Its all good, I wont be waiting 6 months to finalize my tank selection thats for sure :). I plan to have mine up in the next few months. I am going on vacation in July, so likely nothing before then.

Welcome! I am in Alpharetta as well. About a mile or so from Pure Reef. Let me know if you need any help or want to come check out the tank.

Thanks,
Austin

That place is 100x nicer than any store I've found in the mid west....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Well I took the plunge on the DC 12000...looks like pretty good amount of flow and controllability. Well worth the $150 if it lasts....

Torqued;1081497 wrote: Well I took the plunge on the DC 12000...looks like pretty good amount of flow and controllability. Well worth the $150 if it lasts....

Yes. They are great you will love it!

Welcome to ARC and the great HotLanta Metro!
Very nice reef, your color combos are awesome too.

Come meet some folks at the next meeting, if you dare!
Beware, we're all addicts but lovin it :)

Welcome to the area. I am not far from you in Cumming.

Personally I would go with a 120 (4'x2'x2') or go with a 220 (6'x2'x30"). The 180 (6' and only 18" front to back) seems a little squished front to back when you have 6' long tank. My first tank was a 120 and I think I liked that the best. It was a great size and it was less expensive. I feel like the 6' tank is a lot more $$$ for lighting and flow.

russ;1081517 wrote: Welcome to the area. I am not far from you in Cumming.

Personally I would go with a 120 (4'x2'x2') or go with a 220 (6'x2'x30"). The 180 (6' and only 18" front to back) seems a little squished front to back when you have 6' long tank. My first tank was a 120 and I think I liked that the best. It was a great size and it was less expensive. I feel like the 6' tank is a lot more $$$ for lighting and flow.

+1

Also 250 deep dimensions tanks are great with a 5'x3'x30"

180s are 72x24x24....your thinking a 125 which is a longer 75g. The 180 is a longer 120 :)

Btw 30 is too tall for my taste...it makes reaching the bottom a real pain...24 is as high as I like to go...

Welcome to the ATL and ARC! Looking forward to watching your build!

I just finished restarting my 210 system last weekend. I might post up a rebuild thread here soon.

I really love the looks of the extra few inches of depth of the 210 but hate soaking the sleeve of my shirt any time I need to reach the bottom with my hand! :D I can get most everything done with tongs so it usually isn't that big of an issue. But I totally understand where you are coming from with the 180!

Great choice on the Kessil's. Shimmer, controllable with the Apex, no disco ball color effects. I have never used them but was going to pull the trigger on them when I was about to replace my MH fixture. In the end, I decided to stick with the MH for now due to the extra depth I have, plus the MH fixture is paid for! :)

Torqued;1081318 wrote: Hey folks,

I am new to ATL Area as of Jan, and live in Alpharetta. I have been into Salt/Reef tanks since 2004, and have been out of the scene for about 6 years. I am looking to do a new build here, and have already started ordering gear.

Current plan (subject to change) is a 180g mixed reef..

So far all ive purchased is an Apex controller, and a Vertex Alpha 200 skimmer and 40g breeder (likley for sump). Everything else is up in the air at this point.

Thoughts on other gear:

Lighting - 3x Kessil 360we and considering a retro kit to mount two T5s in the canopy for more even distribution of light

Circulation/Flow - Undecided on return pump, and tank flow (considering the Gyre 150 and or Vortechs)

Calc/Alk Dosing - Undecided, I have had my best success keeping it simple with a dual channel doser and 2 part. Ive tried kalk, Calc reactors etc. Still considering dropping the $$ for a nice kalk reactor to use with a top off setup for the primary dosing. I doubt i will need more than that unless/until i get a great deal of SPS soaking up the alk/calc.

Substrate - Reefflakes

Rock - planning to use mostly dry rock (200lbs or so) (ive had pest issues with buying live rock historically + its alot cheaper).

Still undecided on the tank manf. I do not care for the standard "all-glass" overflows, and would prefer a bare tank drilled for a Ghost overflow, but exploring getting a custom build with an external overflow built on....

Stand/Canopy - likely custom built, though I am a very handy wood worker myself, so i may spend the time building them myself

Thats about it for now folks. I look forward to meeting some of you folks in the future!

For my reefing resume, feel free to check out my old 75g tank I had in my last home:
IMG_1898.jpg
alt="" />
http://s156.photobucket.com/user/bischofk/library/Feb-19-2007?sort=3&page=1">Several more pictures</a>[/QUOTE]

Beautiful setup

Schwaggs;1081529 wrote: Welcome to the ATL and ARC! Looking forward to watching your build!

I just finished restarting my 210 system last weekend. I might post up a rebuild thread here soon.

I really love the looks of the extra few inches of depth of the 210 but hate soaking the sleeve of my shirt any time I need to reach the bottom with my hand! :D I can get most everything done with tongs so it usually isn't that big of an issue. But I totally understand where you are coming from with the 180!

Great choice on the Kessil's. Shimmer, controllable with the Apex, no disco ball color effects. I have never used them but was going to pull the trigger on them when I was about to replace my MH fixture. In the end, I decided to stick with the MH for now due to the extra depth I have, plus the MH fixture is paid for! :)

Yeah 30 def looks great..heck the bigger the better right :). Actually my concerns are as much with the added weight of those additional gallons. I'm confident I'm OK, but fear of putting more than the 120/180 weight per 2ft length. I would prob go with a 240g 8x2x2 before going wider because it will be supported by 2 more floor joists as opposed to more weight on existing joists by going taller or wider.

Feel free to stop by my place if you ever want to see my setup. Welcome to the area!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back