Help! My tank has gone haywire!

chauwall

Market
Reaction score
My tank has gone haywire! All of the below is not normal but been happening this past month:

1. Tonight, I came home to my firefish half eaten! He is still alive and has literally 2 chunks of his rear body eaten. Poor guy is still swimming upright but rests on top of the rocks. Hermits don't eat fish that are alive do they?

2. My royal gramma won't come out of his hole (bed) for like 3 weeks now. Not even at feeding time. But I have seen him out once and he still looks plump.

3. My yellow tang keeps swimming up to my dispar anthias and acts like they are going to clean him? Like a cleaner shrimp would?

4. My yellow and hippo tang used to love nori like it's candy. Now they look at it like it's a foreign object.

5. Last night my hippo tang acted like he wanted to jump out of the tank if he could. I have eggcrate over the tank, but like 30 minutes after the lights went out. He went ape-sh*t and splashed water everywhere. He even pooped out of the tank onto the floor! My hubby and I were in different rooms and both came over to see the tank. I turned the room lights on and the hippo was upside down on the surface back towards the rocks. And he wasn't moving. We thought that he was dead-maybe hit the eggcrate so hard. I poked him. And he started swimming around. He's fine today.

6. My 4 year old Potter's Angel is completely missing. No body, yet. It's been 2 weeks. I checked the overflows. Nothing. That is very stange.

7. My yellow coris wrasse, anthias, and firefish have completely freaked out and spasmed in the middle of the water. Not hiding, but literally complete somersaults for 10 seconds when I put my hand near them in the tank. They ususally just scoot over to the other side of the tank.

What is going on??????? Is there a predator in my tank????
I've had the 120gal for 4 years, moved the tank twice, so I would be shocked if that is the case.

These are my inhabitants:

Yellow Tang
Hippo Tang
Firefish
Dispar Anthias
Flame Hawkfish
Pajama Cardinal
Yellow Wrasse
Ocellaris Clownfish
Green Chromis
Royal Gramma
Cherub Angel
Handful of Scarlet Hermits
Green Bubble Tip
Couple of Snails
Orange Starfish

All of the coral look normal. I don't hear any clicking sounds-no mantis. What could it be? Could it be the Flame Hawkfish?

dawgdude;282248 wrote: You might have a rouge crab or lobster. I have seen a purple lobster eat half a fish in under a minute just cutting sections off as it went.

Like a scarlet crab? I did put a salley lightfoot in the tank 3 years ago but after a month when I didn't see it, I figured it died. Haven't seen it since. Could it have survived and hiding out in the rocks all of this time?

Can you try watching at night with just a low wattage red light? You might be able to see what is going on. It sounds like you have some unwanted visitors that are causing trouble.

Is there any possibility you have electric current in the aquaruium? The whole spasms and trying to get out of the tank thing.... I can't explain the half eaten fish thought.

I'd check for a crab or mantis. Have you heard any clicking coming from the tank when the lights are out? Bait it up with a silverside or shrimp in a small coke bottle and see what it attracts in the middle of the night.

bobz;282259 wrote: Can you try watching at night with just a low wattage red light? You might be able to see what is going on. It sounds like you have some unwanted visitors that are causing trouble.

Red light? Where do you get that?

pochaxoo;282279 wrote: Is there any possibility you have electric current in the aquaruium? The whole spasms and trying to get out of the tank thing.... I can't explain the half eaten fish thought.

Possibly. I have a current grounder. It was unplugged, but just plugged it back in.

Smoothie;282291 wrote: I'd check for a crab or mantis. Have you heard any clicking coming from the tank when the lights are out? Bait it up with a silverside or shrimp in a small coke bottle and see what it attracts in the middle of the night.

Good idea. I'll try that tomorrow. Are we talking 2 liter or small gas station bottle?

I just can't believe that something that big could be lurking when no new rock has been added.

For the red light, I just take some red cellophane and put it over a flashlight. It works pretty well.
Bob

Bobz is right on the light. Small coke bottle should work just to bring it out and see what you got. The reason you may not have noticed may be a result of the same thing that happened to me once. Got a nice piece of lr, had it in the tank for about a year, but then noticed my radiant wrasse checking out and pecking at this very rock. Watched it at night with the moonlights on and saw little baby crab claws poking out and digging themselves out of the rock. Must have been some eggs or tiny babies in there when I bought it, but man when they came out in tupperware qt they sure made for a good ground up snack for my tank.

Back