HELP - Need to kill Aiptasia

The stuff in fight club was lime wasn't it? That looked like it really hurt :). This is basically the same stuff but lower concentration I believe...

FutureInterest;234333 wrote: The stuff in fight club was lime wasn't it? That looked like it really hurt :). This is basically the same stuff but lower concentration I believe...

Actually, it was lye (NaOH); kalk is CaOH. I just http://www.miamisci.org/ph/hhoh.html">looked it up</a>, and lye is about 13 pH, and kalk is 12.4, so lye is actually about 1/2 again as caustic. But yeah, basically the same idea. That's why adding the vinegar (pH 2.2) neutralized it so quickly- changes the pH to about 7 almost instantly, stopping the burning.

Awesome movie. :up:

And as a quick followup to our chemistry lesson...

Looking at that same chart, hydrochloric acid (HCL) has a pH of 0, which means that it's roughly 4 times as effective as vinegar in dissociating calcium (remember that pH is a logrithmic scale, so each pH increment is double/half the OH-/H+ concentration).

I've been using muratic acid (3% HCL, 97% water) more and more for cleaning - this explains why it's so much more effective (and dangerous!).

There are 3 Rules to Reef Club..

1. You don't talk about Reef Club
2. You don't talk about Reef Club
3. You don't talk about Reef Club

Just remember -- for all the ones you see and kill -- there are likely that many you don't see.

My goal is to keep them under control as I maintain the tank using Aptasia-X. So far, so good.

The Aptasia-x glues the the openings on the disk shut. You kill the flow and wait 15 min. after dosing the last one then restart. I have used it with good results but I always wait a week then add pep shrimps to eat any of the small ones that come back. Have yet to try it on anything else I do have some mojano in my 90 I need to deal with.

Back