Help on T5 lighing design

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
Ok, after reading cameron's old thread, and the info on my 125g thread, I'm looking for a little more help on setting up a t5 lighting scheme in a canopy. I've decided a on a tank that is 48L x 24W x 30H, which is a 140 Gal. I was wondering how many overdriven T5's will be best for this?

I was planning on 6 initially due to space on a 125, but a 24"W tank can hold 8, I'm guessing, assuming I use Icecap SLRs. I'm not sure if 8 is overkill, but it seems that since you will need 2 ballasts anyways, might as well do 8.

THis is the retro I am looking at http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/IceCap/SLR_Retrofit_Kits/48_inch__4x54W_SLR_T5_Very_High-Output_Retrofit_Kit_w%21_Bulbs_by_IceCap">here</a>.

Also, bulb schemes for 6 or 8 lamp setups is appreciated. I have seen several suggestions, but more are always helpful.

The link doesn't work. Anyways, squeeze in as many bulbs as you can... so go with 8. One thing Cam doesn't seem to cover is that overdriving needs active cooling to be effective. So...try to design a way to keep the bulbs cool with some fans.

Yeah, I forgot the fan part. I figure just any computer style fan will work, preferably quite with a high cfm rating. Right?

Yes. I have about 8 really quiet ones on my tank and I'm adding a few more shortly.

a>

i am not a big fan of overdriving my lights but some people like it. as far as the fan Azoo
prod_display.cfm

Also, are you running them at both ends, cold ends, all over the place, etc?

That's perfect. You get to pick which bulbs you want which is a big plus. The bulbs that come with some of the cheaper retrofit kits aren't very good... Now you just need to figure out which bulb combo you want.

Yeah, and that is the trick part if you are unfamiliar with T5s. I will probably just copy cameron, Big D's, or Sammy's recommendations on lamps from old threads to begin with.

As for fans, you're going to be limited for space on the ends so you'll prolly line em up in a row along the back. The brand doesn't matter so much but it should be under 20 db per fan or it'll be clearly audible.

I run the tek 8 bulb T5 and love it.... If you ever want to stop by and heck it out let me know.... Bulbs from front to back are.....

Atinic +
Atinic +
Aquablue +
midday
Aquablue +
Aquablue +
Pure atinic
Atinic +

Put in one midday for growth.

This is a 10 bulb unit from reefgeeks would fit great. The tek light I got has more than enough light some people with the same light have switched out a couple of the 54 watt bulbs for something a little less in wattage.
a>

Yeah, Will I saved your lamp config to my desktop a while back too. I was gonna compare everyones who have posted them, and just kinda wing it. I'm trying to copy the look of my Ushio 20k which I like.

Not bad. Costs a just a little more than retro... Jin, thoughts? It's just not a VHO.

**Actually, after you buy the fans, screws, and spend the time assembling, this might be cheaper than retro...

I'm running 7 bulbs on mine with TekII reflectors (all I can fit on a bowfront!) and love it. Six are on Icecap ballasts and the last one on an advance ballast. The bulb choice depends a lot on the look you're going for. Simply changing the order of the bulbs can change the look of the tank. You've certainly got room for 8 bulbs.

If I were you I'd order a couple of extra bulbs so you can experiment with choice/position. I've got a 6500k GE midday bulb and a ProColor in the middle of the mix. I've found the T5 actinics don't seem to add much so I plan on changing my actinic bulb back to a VHO actinic, but I haven't done it yet.

I built Cameron's light rack--he was relying on fans in his canopy for cooling. When I built mine, I mounted 120mm fans on each end of the rack, blowing straight down at the bulbs. I had to add a fan to the center as the reflectors were getting hotter than I'd like, but the 3 fans keep it cool.

corvettecris;183116 wrote: Also, are you running them at both ends, cold ends, all over the place, etc?

Run your fans on both ends or like Jin sayd, along the back. The big thing is you want ALL of them pointing in... You do not want half your fans pointing in and the other half pointing out!!!

corvettecris;183127 wrote: Not bad. Costs a just a little more than retro... Jin, thoughts? It's just not a VHO.

**Actually, after you buy the fans, screws, and spend the time assembling, this might be cheaper than retro...

The ATI powermodule is a beast from what I've heard and read. Some of the nicest European tanks I've seen online are lit with these units. The only downside is the price point. I again advise you to talk with Greg at reefgeek. He's always been honest with me on his assessment of various products that he offers.

Back