Help on T5 lighing design

Jimw369 has a bunch of extra bulbs he might let you try out from when he bought his light. that 10 bulb light from reef geeks is sweet fans and everything. Jimw369 did a par test and blew par readings out of the water.

The tek fixtures don't have any active cooling I believe. That was one of the reasons I didn't go with them. Another reason was that the ice-cap reflectors are generally better than the built in tek reflectors.

I know, one down fall about the tek lights no fans :( but I dont use a canopy so this was a great option for me kinda was about asstetics.

sagent3000;183115 wrote: i am not a big fan of overdriving my lights but some people like it. as far as the fan Azoo http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14701">http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14701</a> they keep the lights very cool[/QUOTE]

Sarge,
Are these fans quiet? I have looked at purchasing this unit before, but wasn't sure of the noise that they would produce. I'm in the process of adding (4) overdriven T-5's and a couple of DE pendants and need some cooling in the canopy.

Thanks!

reefknight yea they are quiet they make no more than the sound of the fan in your computer.

jin my teklights have cooling fans

I'm doing this from memory but IIRC, to get optimal PAR and longevity, placement of the fans should be determined by the bulb(s) you decide to use. Some bulbs (Geisemann, Aqua Science, GE, etc) are manufactured with a "cold spot" (that is usually at the end of the bulb where the label is etched) so for best results that's the only area that needs to be cooled. Other bulbs (ATI, Sylvania, etc) do not use this manufacturing method so it's best to cool the length of the bulb (or at least the middle of them). If anyone is interested, I'll dig up the references when I get home.

Wow that is interesting. You always have the most interesting tidbits of info :). Please do some digging Mike.

Thanks.

Well, here's a recent thread on that "other" site that discusses the point I made as well as gives some good info related to T5s:

showthread.php

Very good read. I like the cold spot idea, which I was introduced to in George and Cameron' s old threads, I believe. Seems to makes sense, the way that link reads.

Another consideration in my case, if the tank is 48" in length, should I run 48" lamps and reflectors, or will I need to do 36" to fit? This is assuming I do a retro with the icecaps.

The 54 watt "48 inch" bulbs are actually shorter -- 46.5" I think. I just measured mine...installed it's 47" from the back side of each end cap. You'll be fine.

There is a great T5 thread on RC and one of the guys (Grimreefer) has really done a lot of testing. You can either read through many posts and see what he has recommended to others or just post your situation and he will give you a specific one.

Thanks, I have been doing some reading over that way. I just hate that the search function never works and there is so much to weed through...

Another question... Assuming I run 8 OD T5's, how much punch will I get to the bottom of a 27" tank? The reason I ask is because I was talking to Patrick at MF yesterday, and he decided on MH after researching the T5 option for one of his tanks. He just didnt feel there would be enough PAR on the bottom of a taller tank. He got me worried, and now I am second guessing all T5's.

You can search reefcentral using the google site: command. So try typing this into a google search-

site:reefcentral.com t5 lighting

Or you could wake up at 7 in the morning and search reefcentral :). Or pay to join, its not pricey!

dawgdude;183196 wrote: Reefknight, sammy has one of these on his 28g in his office I think. Its pretty quiet. HOWEVER, it points at the water and not the bulb. I bought cheapo clip on fans at wal mart to help cool my T-5s

Dawg, I though they were adjustable, maybe not huh? Sarge could you chime in and gives us your input, do they have an adjustable angle? Either way thanks for the heads up Dawg.

Back