Help! Possible tank crash!?!

ericmcj31

Market
Reaction score
Well I just went downstairs to my 135--the lights just came on; and I saw what could be a horrible sight. My sailfin tang is gasping for air laying on the bottom, my blue tang is hiding in rocks, gasping for air, I can't find my yellow tang, foxface was hiding behind rocks, gasping for air, dead cleaner shrimp, and couple of chromis gasping for air. I haven't done ANYTHING to this tank in the last month or so-by anything I mean additions. I'm pretty sure it was more like 6 weeks ago. I'm pretty sure thisis pretty serious, I've got about 50 gallons of water and salt mixed up-should I do a MAJOR water change? or what?? please let me know-

yellow tang just came out--swimming around, but breathing really fast

Oh, wow!! Sorry to hear that!! Is there anything that's fallen into the tank, cleaner or anything?? Have you tested for anything yet?? I'd definatly do a water change of at least 20 percent.. those never hurt IMO..

If someone corrects me, then I apologize, but that's what I would do.

Open all the windows and doors and get some circulation going. Lower the tank's temperature as well.

It could be an oxygenation issue, in which case replacing the ambient air and lowering the tank temp will help more oxygen dissolve. Increasing the circulation will help as well. Also, point a powerhead at the surface of the tank and remove any glass lids or anything like that. You can sometimes have a film on the top of the water that will prevent proper oxygen exchange.

It could also be an ammonia thing or some other chemical. Throw in some carbon, and test for ammonia. G'luck.

what doesn't make any sense is it's all my bigger fish--I've got clowns, bangaii and pj cards, yellow watchmen and engineer gobies, etc. and all my corals look fine too-it's just the big fish- :( I'll do the WC in a min.

Good luck. *crossed fingers*

Hopefully they were just getting back from aerobics class, so they were all breathing hard.

I just did the world's fasted 30 gallon WC; that's a little over 20%; mixing more salt water as I type-sailfin sat up, but is still breathing hard on bottom, and BR tang is hiding behind rocks; all small fish still doing ok--now sailfin is swimming around a little and not breathing quite so had-well-just laid back down--mabe that's a good sign--all other clams, inverts, corals, etc. and even all my small fish appear to be doing good

Good deal. Now to test the parameters? I wonder if it was/is an oxygen problem? Or chemical?

oxygen, I think; I switched carbon, 20+% WC, and everything's still hiding; should I turn out lights?

<span style="color: black;">Did you figure out the problem yet?</span>
<span style="color: black;"> </span>
<span style="color: black;">I would put low water oxygen as the first thing to check. Surface agitation, oil film ... </span><span style="color: black;">Just to be safe id run allot of good quality carbon. And then check parameters </span>

yeah-I had no surface agitation-and there was a slight film on the surface--I'd bet on that; I'll know more in a couple hours if nothing comes out-then I'll be moving rockwork, etc. looking for bodies-hopefully not, though

Some fish can handle hypo oxygen levels easier that others and some just need more oxygen than others. This is why you're seeing some disparity. G'luck.

I have used a small quantity of hydrogen peroxide to bring oxygen levels up in a hurry. I offer this very, very cautiously since I know that too much can be as bad as too little oxygen.

When I have used this technique I have added about 5 ml of regular household hydrogen peroxide to a 40 gallon tank. Maybe someone with more experience knows a formula or any downside to this (other than the obvious potential for problems when too much is added).

M

FYI - I have a lot of planted freshwater tanks. The behavior you have described is consistent with what happens in those tanks when the ammonia levels get too high. When I turn the lights off there are always pH swings because of the CO2 being added but not used. The pH swing + the ammonia is enough to really do a number on the larger fish (usually the smaller fish seem to weather the storm better, maybe due to smaller body mass equaling smaller oxygen requirement?).

if the ammonia were high, wouldn't it do a number on my corals and inverts too, though??

Update: I just walked back down there and I saw the foxface and blue tang swimming around-so that's good-I think the sailfin's a goner-haven't seenyellow tang either; I really don't wanna move everything looking for them,-but I guess I have no choice if they don't pop up in the next few hours?? Also--what would make my tank suddenly not have any oxygen?? or an ammonia spike?? i've had this tank up and running for nearly two years now.

Man it is all the "hate'n" that you have been doing. Posting that the Governor is the devil and hate'n on the President. Maybe the CIA did it. Just kidding. :) I would continue the water changes again tomorrow and look for any airborn pollutants (sprays, scented oil candles, etc.). Just take a real good look around / under the tank and make sure that nothing is rusting or fouling the tank water. I know it is a pain but if you are missing big fish you probably need to find them and remove them if the have not made it. Good luck. Keep us posted.

ericmcj31;162321 wrote: Also--what would make my tank suddenly not have any oxygen??

You indicated a film on top of the water. There's where your oxygen exchange is blocked, I'd guess.

Also, with Spring comes open windows, neighbors mowing/treating their lawns, street sweepers and airborne pollutants. Is your tank near an open window? Did you have the outside of your windows cleaned or any power-washing done outside while the windows were open?

Can you feel any electrical current (maybe a very subtle one) that might indicate a short in a heater/pump/powerhead, etc.?

I keep a couple of small pumps (the kind you attach airlines to), and run some airlines into the tank if I suspect an oxygen shortage. The extra bubbles seem to help. I rubber-band the end of the airline to a small piece of LR rubble so it stays down on the sandbed.

Hope all your little critters are okay ~ ~ W/C should be your best ally.

Well, after pointing my Koralia 4 to the top of the water, 20% WC, and changing filter and activated carbon, everything seems to be in check. All four of my big fish are swimming around just fine; even the sailfin who was laying on bottom earlier gasping for air-I almost euthanized him to get him out of his misery-glad I didn't--just hated watching him there. I think it's def. an oxygen exchange issue. I have yet to set up my sump with skimmer and such-so I think that is my next task-before I come home to a total disaster. I think I'm just lucky I was home or else when I got home-could've been A LOT worse! The only casualty was a cleaner shrimp-hated he died, but again, could've been a LOT worse. thanks for all you guys' advice and thank you Jin-I think your comment saved it all. (not that the others were inferior or anything either, though). You guys are great to have around to give to and receive advice from. thanks again :);)

Back