HELP - Resealing Tank

de1nonly23

Market
Reaction score
I am in the process of resealing a 75 gallon tank. 1st attempt just did not look good at all. 2nd attempt looked better but when I water tested it I got all kinds of small air bubbles, no leaks, just air bubbles. Now onto my 3rd attempt. Anybody with experience please HELP. Even if you dont have experience please HELP!!!!!

You have to remove all of the old silicone from the seams (do not disassemble the tank, there is silicone between the panes, leave that alone). Scrape out the interior silicone with a razor blade. Use masking tape to tape either side beside where each line of silicone will go. Run your bead of silicone - make sure you're using an appropriate type, smooth it with your wet finger, then pull off the tape. That makes for clean lines.

Be careful what kind of silicone you use - if it has anti-mildew chemicals in it, it will kill your livestock. Only pure rubber silicone should be used.

Be sure to leak test the tank too, after you're done, and the silicone has cured.

Jenn

There a ton of videos on youtube on how to do it.

<div class="gc_ifarem_title">HOW TO: Reseal an aquarium - YouTube</div>

Thanks for all your help. I saw the videos just cant figure out why I am getting the air bubbles. Cant find any info on that and cant find anyone that has water tested after they siliconed it.

I googled your problem and the only thing I saw is that if you are getting air bubbles it is more than likely due to the glass not being clean. After scraping off the old silicone did you clean it with rubbing alcohol? The glass has to be completely clean and then you have to scrub off any residue with alcohol.

Yes I did but maybe not good enough. I have started to remove the old. I will make sure it is clean. Thanks for ur help db366

You can get a plastic trowel (aka piece of plastic) with a close to a right angle and then grind a little curve in the corner and use that rather than your finger for a smoother and firmer seal. I've used the method with caulk and will be sealing my first tank shortly myself and plan to use this method. The Tape idea Jenn mentioned has been suggested alot and I will be doing that as well.

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">Man you need to come over... LOL been there done that. I resealed my 75. I only used the tape on the viewable upright corners. I also used denatured alcohol </span></span>

Charles you are right I do need to come over...Just a matter of finding the time. I will be removing the silicone tonight

Back