help sps turning white

I check my alk with red sea, salifer and api and all show the about the same I frag all the good pieces and glue the rest would see what happens.

Ok guys I been checking my alkalinity, magnesium and calcium with 3 different test kits red sea,salifer and hannah checker today I check my alkalinity with the hannah checker and is showing 207 can someone tell me what is the dkh please.

angel;987561 wrote: Ok guys I been checking my alkalinity, magnesium and calcium with 3 different test kits red sea,salifer and hannah checker today I check my alkalinity with the hannah checker and is showing 207 can someone tell me what is the dkh please.

11.59 dkh

Multiply the displayed number by .056

Ok see I been using red sea and salifer and is showing 9.5 so I wondering which one is right I'm still losing corals i went to different LFS to check my water to and they all different any suggestions?

If someone wants to come and check my tank you're welcome to come over yes let me know I don't want to loose everything thank you.

angel;987564 wrote: Ok see I been using red sea and salifer and is showing 9.5 so I wondering which one is right I'm still losing corals i went to different LFS to check my water to and they all different any suggestions?

Hanna is never wrong :D

angel;987566 wrote: If someone wants to come and check my tank you're welcome to come over yes let me know I don't want to loose everything thank you.

I'll be in marietta tomorrow around lunch to drop off the roof roof monster truck if you'll be home.

It's complete different each test kit
Red Sea Calcium 490
Alkalinity 7.6
Magnesium 1450

Salifer
Calcium 420
Alkalinity 8.3
Magnesium 1350

api
calcium 400
Alkalinity 9.0

Hannah checker
Alkalinity 11.59

I'm Weighting On My Order From Hannah To Check Calcium

Sure my number is 4048385127 yes give me a call thank you.

i'll send you a pm angel. I live in marietta also and i'm having some troubling things also that make me think alk. I use red sea and get 7.2 dkh (running zeovit ulns). However, stupid LFS used api and told me 12 dkh, then another LFS used red sea test strip and said it was 16 dkh lol. 2nd one also told me my salinity was 1.028-1.029 but I tested my refractometer with fresh pinpoint 1.026 calibration sample and mine was almost dead on at 1.0262. Also checked mine against 2 tanks which ran 1.024 and both matched.
so frustrating.
still have stn issues that I can't resolve :(

Ok guys I think I found out part of my problem I went to the store where I purchased my salt water and for the past year they wore using red sea so base on that I was dousing part a and part b the amount the my tank consume a day and unfortunately today I found out there are lying to costumers and they been using regular instant ocean salt for who knows how long they said only this week but they didn't said anything I can't said the name but That's not right special when you been a costumer for more than 2 years , That's not right to anyone.
Could that would affect the chemistry on my tank and make all my parameters be completed different?

I like to hear what you guys think.

If you are checking your alk and calcium and keeping it in the proper range it wouldn't make a difference in my opinion. You might see a little dip or spike after a water change but I doubt your changing enough water to shock anything. How many gallons are you changing at a time?

I usually put my new water into my sump and leave pumps running so it mixes some more before it goes into the tank. seems to work well for me.

I'm changing 30 gallons every week and this started 3 weeks ago.

how many gallons is your total system volume? do you ever do a test on the water you are getting from the store to make sure it has the right salinity, calc, alk?
I usually test calc/alk on my batches of salt on the first batch I make out of a box. I try to mix up the bags really well so my expectation is all the others come out like the first.

do your corals get ticked off when you do a water change? sometimes mine would throw out stringers if i changed with a really strong/amped up salt

No I never check the water because I never had any problems but even if that was not the case they should not tell costumers they using red sea salt and sale it more expensive.

I know a lot of you guys going to tell me to get a Rodi unit and That's what I'm doing tomorrow to make my own water.

heh, well it is way cheaper IMO. And you control it so you know there's nothing bad in the water, that it's made from 0 TDS water and the parameters are repeatable. I may be a slight pessimist but if someones lying to you about the salt they are using, who knows when the last time was that they changed their RO/DI filters.

What's your total system volume?
Are you confident of your salinity? what is it? (I had a LFS tell me mine was 1.029 and I had just calibrated my refractometer with 1.026 pinpoint solution that was fresh out of the bag).
Do your corals freak out and throw out stringers when you do a water change?

My Salinity is 1.025 and yes sometimes my corals do that.
What is funny is the when I went to check on my water and I saw they were mixing instant ocean salt and I ask why they told me it was only this week but a good friend has told me they were using instant ocean salt I didn't believe my friend.

Back