Hey Simon - Acro growth

sounds like you could start selling frags at an accelarated rate to keep up!i need to check out your sytem one day.You still have the picasso trigger i sold you awhile back?Is he cruising around in your sump?

Just an FYI.
It is not a good idea to use CaCl on a continuous basis, as it will disrupt the ionic-balance. Your salinity will rise almost solely due to chloride and you will end up having problems controlling things later like Ca and Alk. It is best used to correct occasional Ca deficiencies. You can offset the chloride issue with large frequent water changes or by following the "Balling Method", which requires the use of sodium-chloride-free salt mixes, which you'll have a hard time finding locally.

If anyone finds themselves fighting low Ca levels, make sure and check that you are not fighting yourself. Many people fight what I call the "yo-yo" imbalance. By having alkalinity too high, calcium falls too easily.. and vice versa. A lot of folks mistakenly believe that Alk values of 10+ dkh are good because more carbonate hardness sounds like better growth. But maintaining Calcium with high alk can be a hassle. By lowering you alk to 7-8 dKh, you will have an easier time with Calcium, and you reduce the risk of alk burn in sensitive corals. Montiporas are particularly sensitive to alk burn. Again to summarize, the most obvious source of Calcium depletion are your corals, but be sure and keep an eye out for your alk levels too.

This isn't directed at anyone specifically. Just a heads up to people reading this thread and considering the use of calcium chloride. Occasional dosing does no harm, but large continuous dosing may.

Back