HOB Skimmers

showtime305

Supporting
Reaction score
<span style="color: black;">I just wanted to get some input on hang on back skimmers. What do you guys think is the best HOB skimmer on the market. I acquired a Remora Pro that's it the break in process, so I'll be able to judge that soon. I've also owned two Prism Skimmers and a Turbo Flotor 1000 Multi. One of the Prism skimmers was worthless and the second does an ok job (needs to be cleaned every 2-3 days to keep this level of performance). The Turbo flotor I had did an excellent job as a HOB skimmer but its size makes it seem awkward on a smaller tank.</span>
<span style="color: black;"> </span>
<span style="color: black;">I've heard good reviews on the Bermuda Aquatics Rogue Wave HOB skimmer. It's really captured my attention.</span>

Personally, I think my Prizm did as good a job as the Aqua C Remora I have now......

I think people complain about the constant need to adjust the Prizm mainly because they CAN adjust it.... I'm not finding the Aqua C to be very adjustable and had to add a 4" temporary standpipe to it just to keep the cup from over flowing while I was at work.

I find the skimmate to be about the same quality in the two skimmers.

I started off with a Lee's Counter Current air pump driven model, and to be very honest....... for the money involved, niether the Prizm or Aqua C is that much better.

A little off topic......

I also think some new technology will come along soon and revise the whole concept of skimmers. I've seen a lot happen in this hobby in the past 20 years, and I think something will drastcally change with skimmers soon, mainly because.... Well? It's just time for it.....

I agree that the Prism skimmer does a decent job. The problem is that a large mount of the skimmate sticks to the skimmer neck slowly decreasing the performance after 2-3 days. If you decided to adjust it skimmer instead of cleaning it, the next time it's cleaned it will need to be adjusted again. I really think I need to force myself to start cleaning my Prism more often.

I bought my used Lee's skimmer for 10 bucks, I gave it away and bought a used Prizm from Craigslist for 50 bucks then sold it to Linda for 30 or so to buy Wie's Aqua C for over twice what I paid for the Prizm......

My tank was healthy with the Lee's, and it's healthy now with the Aqua C.

Have I truly bettered my tank?

The world may never know...............

honestly thats the issue with all skimmers, there is NO skimmer that you can leave for a decent amount of time and not have gunk build up in the neck. The only HOB skimmer I've had was the Aqua C Remora with a MJ1200 and I loved it, actually had two of them....Cant give any other insight on other ones. Personally if I had to do it over again, I'ld most likely get another remora.

The turboflotor I owned took about a week before the neck was coated with skimmate but it kept skimming well for up to 2 weeks after that. I guess it depends on the shape of the neck.

I had to always adjust my Prizim Pro when it was on the side of the tank with the very small skimmer. Any small change in the water level would mess it up. I put in the sump and after cranking it up it gets a lot of foam and with the big cup overflow I clean it every 2-3 days and wipe out the neck. Since the compartment in the sump the water level does not change and I took off the skimmer bucket it appears to be working without any tinkering.

Don't forget the Coralife SS. It's a decent-performing skimmer at an affordable price. Performs best with a consistant water level.

Heres one that is Interesting...
showthread.php

cpr's bakpak's are well proven, the 2R version without the media in it

none are great though, skimming is all about contact time, and the smaller the skimmer the less contact time

Back