Horizontal overflow (aka Calfo or coast-to-coast)

I just had a Calfo installed on my 32" cube, done by Woody at PCA. The shadowing is not an issue for me since the overflow box is only 6"x6" in the back top corner. With properly placed lights I think you wouldn't even notice.I had Woody use black acrylic and painted the back of the tank Black as well. Looks great!

BeanAnimal;251609 wrote: I am not sure why you feel the need to nit-pik words in an attempt to discredit me.
Your flippant comments indicate that you wish to attempt to discredit me by attempting to remove that context and logical interpretation from my statements.

What is up with you and this "discredit" nonsense? :doh: If you're going to post on public forums, expect some thoughtful discussion about what you posted. This doesn't mean that someone is trying to "discredit" you.

Good luck with your design.

insp_captkirk.png
alt="" />

In all honesty, do you feel that you have acted as an adult here?

Certainly not in my last post, but at this point, I feel that any attempt to "discuss" this is futile, so I figured pointing a little fun at myself would lighten the mood. Just because I'm a moderator doesn't mean that I don't have a point of view or can't voice my opinion. We have a policy to not moderate any discussion we're a part of, and I refrained from that here.

You seem to take anything I say as some personal attack. I explained myself using sound logic and reasoning, and then you conveniently twist what you said to fit a new fallacy (100% "within certain parameters"? That's fine - just declare the parameters first). Then you state that I'm taking your statement out of context (ie- bulkheads are not part of your design, and therefore aren't part of the failsafe measurement).

I would have been happy to discuss why something is not fail-safe and what could be done to improve it. Heck- I would have enjoyed a good discussion on that. However, any logic that may threaten your existing design is seen as some attempt to "discredit" you, rather than any form of discussion or feedback. I've given up trying to reason with you, so I'm leaving the thread now.

Again, good luck with your design.

BeanAnimal;251774 wrote: MY goodness Mojo.. and you are a moderator here? Somebody that is looked up to by other members of your club and this forum? In all honesty, do you feel that you have acted as an adult here?

I

Bean, I think you're over-reacting here. I think mojo had some valid points that you took personally. When he said "good luck with your design" he probably meant good luck, literally. Don't read too much into the text.

CGill311;251823 wrote: Bean, I think you're over-reacting here. I think mojo had some valid points that you took personally. When he said "good luck with your design" he probably meant good luck, literally. Don't read too much into the text.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

I agree CGill - Mojo had some fair points, and would most likely go out of his way to help you or anyone when possible.

Oh, and Bean - VERY interested in this topic, so stick around with us on this thread....I am sure a lot of us want to us learn more. Thanks!

Cheers!

Hmm....

Bean kinda looks like Anthony Calfo....consipracy, I tell ya :D

Seriously, I am interested about this for future reference....nothing like a proponent for gas exchange in your reef, and who better do bring the topic to the table than somone called Bean.....

So, are we done with the semantics debate now and can we get back to the original topic of this thread? In case anybody has forgotten, this thread is about the Calfo-overflow! :)

Let's please get back to the topic. Thanks

you'd be okay using silicone on an internal overflow like that. External and you're begging for a disaster. Silicone does not bond to acrylic.

Charlie and Raj are both correct. For all intensive purposes silicone dosn't bond to glass either. Its an adhesive and yes it adheres better to glass than acrylic. I have found silicone to work well installing internal overfows but like Raj said I would be a little nervous about it on an external overflow. I would also be worried about using it on an external glass overfow also though.

It works great to glue internal acrylic overflows to glass tanks. I have done a couple with this method. I have found that rough sanding the acrylic where it meets the glass increases the surface area that it adheres to making it stronger. I actually picked up my 30 cube by the overflow after I glued it in just to test it.

I have an external c2c overflow and I can see inside it pretty well.

The build of up detritus and algae on the bottom of the overflow is enough to where I have to do the best I can to clean it every few months (probably should be more but is a pita).

The point is that I don't think your clear bottom idea would be effective for too long. Stuff would build up in no time and start causing shadows. As for the algae issues, I'm not sure what the best way around that would be but Im interested to know as well.....

My next overflow will definitely be another c2c as I love the surface skimming aspect, but I would make it as thin as possible....as for external/internal.....I haven't decided yet.

Back